Newbie disenchanted with Grados.. please help!
Feb 23, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #31 of 50
Quote:
Dude, enough with the zero bass Grados, the HF2 is flat to 25Hz with bowls and the others have enough bass with flats. I'm actually selling it because it's too dark for me, I had the HD800 for two weeks and the HD800 (while too bright) made that point painfully obvious.

I didn't attack your precious W1000x, in fact I would trade my balanced HF2's for one probably, but that doesn't mean it's good for a DJ or fast music

You need to state why you think so. The congestion that I've experienced with Grados have been similar or worse than the congestion I've experienced with wooden Audio Technicas. Soundstaging and bass response is also worse, so I don't understand why anyone would pick a Grado for fast music over the W1000X.

If you had to pick fast AND open, I would even pick the AD2000 before I would pick a Grado for fast paced, DJ genres.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #32 of 50

Quote:
Dude, enough with the zero bass Grados, the HF2 is flat to 25Hz with bowls and the others have enough bass with flats. I'm actually selling it because it's too dark for me, I had the HD800 for two weeks and the HD800 (while too bright) made that point painfully obvious.

I didn't attack your precious W1000x, in fact I would trade my balanced HF2's for one probably, but that doesn't mean it's good for a DJ or fast music. I dislike Denons too btw.

Sorry I'm not trying to attack you. I own several Grados and love them (and will probably grab a few more). Just that OP tried SR-225 and didn't like them. Any other Grado would probably be more similar to the SR-225s than not. I felt the OP would be better served moving in a different direction. Only reason I mentioned W1000X were because they were on the OP's short list. I even suggested DT990 or Ultrasones.

HF2s (which I own and love) are not flat to 25Hz with bowls - they just have a lot of mid-bass emphasis around 80Hz. They drop off at 50Hz just as rapidly. This is easily measured and I'm not about to post FR graphs here. Even the PS1000s, which have a larger bass hump, drop off at 45Hz. What you are hearing are the bass harmonics. Most people think their music has a lot of low bass - this typically is not true. The only open phones I've heard with true low bass extension are the LCD2 and HE6, but those are planars. You have to go closed if you want real bass extension.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #33 of 50
Sorry, I didn't mean to say it's flat until 25Hz (almost no headphone is flat anyway - LCD2 excepted), I meant it reaches 25Hz with usable volume and has enough bass for any genre.

I too would choose AD2000's as fast and open. In fact I usually recommend AD2000's to disgruntled Grado owners ... but here I thought the HFI 2400 would be better because the op is a DJ, and ultrasone bass is really good for that. The AD2000 is a grown up headphone. :)

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #34 of 50
Better constructed too. When I hear DJ, I think of stuff that won't fall apart. Every one of my Grados has eventually required tape, glue, etc. 

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #35 of 50
On the other hand I bet if you take a HF2 and throw it into the wall 10 times and then do the same thing with an ultrasone or an audiotechnica, the hf2 would be in a much better shape. And it's easy to repair and mod. Try repairing a broken plastic headband or yoke, :)

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #36 of 50
Grado's are pretty well known for needing a good amp to get them going. If you're plugging them into an iPod you're going to get crappy sound no matter what.

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #37 of 50

Quote:
Yeah... how come no one ever recommends Ultrasone's as the Grado alternative? The Ultrasone PRO 900 is $320 and has a similar sound signature to Grado's but is a king at bass, and surprisingly has a huge soundstage for a closed headphone in comparison to Grado's non-existent soundstage for an open headphone.

In my opinion its a better headphone in every way.

Yeah, I second the Pro 900 suggestion. Of course one must keep in mind that is the only audiophile grade headphone I have ever heard. But it really is awesome. And honestly I think the OP should reconsider getting an amp. If you don't want something big and bulky you can always use something portable like the E7 (which can be docked onto the E9) or the PA2V2 (what I have). What's your source??

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #39 of 50
My RS-1's sound fantastic straight from a Cowon iAudio 9, just as good as through my Decware portable amp.  Which is not to say they won't sound better with a good amp (my Mapletree amp is on it's way and I expect it to reveal the full potential of the RS-1), but they shouldn't disappoint unamped.  YMMV of course.

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #40 of 50

I concur. Amp those bad boys and burn them in before you rid yourself of them, I mod'd the cups on mine to add more soundstage and found it added bass as well, though I'm not suggesting you modify your new cans........well possibly. Also it could be getting used to the transition of going from a club type bass environment to an open back home listening environment? Grado's don't 'lack' bass though. That said, if you are not at all happy then yes audition others, you'll find your place.
Quote:
Seriously, factor in an amp from your budget. Most of the bassy cans suffers from boomy/untamed sound that would make listening fatiguing after a while. A solid-state amp would usually tame the sound a little, making basslines tighter and more enjoyable. Something that you would definitely find pleasurable for blues-rock. 

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #41 of 50
Quote:
On the other hand I bet if you take a HF2 and throw it into the wall 10 times and then do the same thing with an ultrasone or an audiotechnica, the hf2 would be in a much better shape. And it's easy to repair and mod. Try repairing a broken plastic headband or yoke, :)

Someone needs to test this theory
very_evil_smiley.gif

However, my Audio Technica W11R are 11 years old. My previous Grado SR125s lost connection from a cup in a month's time for each. I replaced one and got another one. Same problem. Ultrasones are incredibly durable.

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #42 of 50
Perhaps I am not quite understanding here but if someone feels that their cans lack a particular element (whether it be mids, highs, bass, etc) can't they just use an equalizer to fix the problem? If there is roll off then an EQ can't fix the problem can it? And, what about bass impact? What creates that?

I mean, if someone feels that their Pro 900 (my headphones) is too bassy can't they just EQ it out? I mean, I find my Ultrasone Pro 900 to be too bassy and the mids are a bit recessed and as much as I like the highs I like them a bit brighter. I just do all that with the EQ and honestly I love the soundstaging, bass impact, instrument separation, comfort and clarity of them.

Yo OP! What do you have against getting an amp man?

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #43 of 50

Quote:
As one who ones all open headphones except for one, I have to strongly disagree with the "always open > closed except for isolation/leakage" statement.

I stand by my Ultrasone PRO 900 recommendation, which seems to have been skimmed past.

I second this.  If you want serious bass and an overall very good pair of headphones try these.

Feb 24, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #44 of 50

[size=10.0pt]Hey everyone. Thanks again for all your input. It's been extremely helpful in my first official audiophile headphone hunt. Soo... since my last post, I have both ordered and received the W1000xs. I am very happy with them! To my inexperienced audiophile ear, I hear sweet sweet mids, a bass that extends with impact that is not overpowering, and highs that are toned down from the grados but still present in a very pleasant way. That being said, I'm plugged in directly to my on- board computer's sound card (I know, I know... I'm sorry!!!!!!), and so I can only imagine how much I'm missing out on. I do have a groovy old turntable with M-Audio monitors so I look forward to plugging them in there soon. [/size]

[size=10.0pt]I think my only minor gripe is that they're really not sturdy on my head. Only gentle head-bopping seems to be allowed for, and what's more is, the little lever arm things don't seem to have enough resistance to keep the phones from pulling themselves down on my face. They create a very cool weightless sensation to the AT's, but lol I'm seriously worried about premature wrinkles from a headphone that causing my skin to sag! Not really, but it is uncomfortable. [/size]

[size=10.0pt]I've read about the rubber band mod,  I've tried it out, and it's really working nicely. The phones are clamping tighter and not sliding down so much. But I'm going to be honest... paying $700 for beautiful wood headphones and having to shove a silly rubber band on them to make them sit properly is something that I feel I shouldn't have to do. It's also a bit unsightly. I'm trying to debate the trade-off, because the sound is beautiful. [/size]

[size=10.0pt]There is a return policy on these for the next couple days, and so I'm trying to weigh up my options. I'm going to be honest, listening to these great cans has made me fall in love with what great headphones can do. Are there other ones that can/ should take the place of these? I'd say I'm willing to up my budget to $1000. Open or closed is a non-issue, and I would like a light headphone with wood (Apologies to all those who recommended Beyers/ Ultrasones... wonderful recommendations, and definitely options I would have considered if they had any wooden detailing). The wood bit may be a bit superficial, but I dabble in luthery, and so I have this a special, albeit idiosyncratic[/size], interest/ appreciation for wood craftsmanship. Sound-wise, something like the AT's would be awesome. 

[size=10.0pt]My considerations so far:[/size]
[size=10.0pt]**MsPro: nice neutral sound, with good bass. I actually find Grados to be really comfortable. But holy schnikes, I think I might grow old before Alessandro answers the phone there. Have been trying to call for 2 weeks to find out what the return policy/ wait time is [/size]
[size=10.0pt]**Denon D7000: heard great things. Apparently mid are a bit lacklustre[/size], but that's not a serious deal-breaker. Had a pair of denon's in my DJing days and the earcup snapped off not two-weeks into owning them. Still a bit upset about the quality. Has this changed much?
[size=10.0pt]**Audeze LCD-2: Very attractive can, but I believe its quite heavy? I get really bad headaches when I wear heavy headphones, and so this has put me off a bit. I'm also quite surprised that they can put a thing of foam on the headrest like that. Seems a bit cheap?[/size]
[size=10.0pt]**1000's Grados: honestly, not very interested, given the high end on the treble, and my run-in with the 225's.[/size]
[size=10.0pt]**Stick with AT's and deal with my rubber band/ paint it black (great song btw). They’re also easy to drive, which is a plus.[/size]
**Anything else?

[size=10.0pt]Please excuse the soliloquy, but I really know from nothing, and I would very much appreciate the advice of those with more experience. To others that have commented, I realize that I may soon be purchasing an amp, and now understand the purpose of them. I have an old 1960's Ampeg bass amp that is too creamy for words, and the thought of adding that level of warmth to any headphone really excites me. I however do want to settle on a set of cans first.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Much thanks.[/size]

Feb 24, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #45 of 50
Hey I'm glad the W1000X sound was too your liking. I'm sorry about the pad issue. Those kind of things are never expected until you try them yourself.

One question though, have you tried simply just bending the metal so that the headphones fit tighter?

As for the Denons, the mids may not be to your liking since it is recessed and the treble is brighter than the W1000X from what I can remember.
I didn't like the LCD 2's rolled down treble but it's over all sound is better than most open dynamics I've heard.

Anyways, vintage Audio Technica woodies fit better and sound better IMO (more focus on mids). They require an effort to find though.

If you got $4000, you can aim at a Stax Omega setup like I am XD  heheheh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back