New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
May 10, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #287 of 1,364
May 10, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #289 of 1,364
!
With the LED switch off... you should plug in charger and then it blinks while charging. The blue light shuts off when it's charged. Pretty sure that's how it goes.

That makes sense. Yesterday it works, today it shows in device manager but not in sound control panel. Status under "properties" say it seems to be working fine.

May 11, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #290 of 1,364
This steered me towards the LT1364. As a classical fan I think it might be really excellent! https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/e...be-dac-32-bit-dac.495800/page-39#post-7664509

Also, I used this to locate it online, be sure to add DIP to your search for all you newbs (like me). http://www.findchips.com/

So how are you finding the LT1364 in the Z1? I listen a lot to such genre of music too.

Back on page 161 of the Walnut v2 thread, this post mentions soldering 1KΩ resistors between the output capacitors and GND - to reduce pops when earphones are plugged/unplugged. I'm not sure whether the resistor connects to the capacitor lead that's away from the opamp, or the one that's closer. I've asked in the Walnut thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/w...dap-amp-ok_hand.828315/page-161#post-13332628

Thanks for the informative reply mate! Mind I ask how did you find the post in such a quick fashion? Is there a search function now for threads?

I can only hear a (relatively minor) click sound when turning on/off? (With LME49720NA)

click sound is fine and could be compared to regular dap, nowhere as scary as the walnut one :)

That is good news to me!

It's mainly the loud POP, when plugging / un-plugging the earphones, which is potentially damaging.

So it only POPs when you plug or unplug your headphones/earbuds? No pop sound when you turn it on and off?

May 11, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #291 of 1,364
So I could not wait anymore and just ordered the following from Taobao:

A Zhisan Z1

2x 40v 10uf ROE "Pig's Blood Capacitor"
2x 16v 100uf ROE "Pig's Blood Capacitor"

1 Alps Pot
1 Tocos Pot
1 Taiwan Generic Pot

May 11, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #294 of 1,364
omg received the Z1 already. Taobao shipping is too damn quick. Ordered it on the 5th and now am using it as a DAC lol.

Shall give it a good listen before posting :D

May 11, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #295 of 1,364
Re: Battery Life.

How many hours are you guys getting off of the battery on your Zishan? I have charged it and let it run two cycles now and it seems like I get about 20 hours. Now that's pretty amazing, but my Walnut V2 is *still* going and it's been about 30 hours on a single charge, which is even more amazing. Is it a known fact that the Walnut gets better battery life?

Here's my method: charge each one until full. Put in a MicroSD Card of music into each, turn the volume all the way up -- with no headphones attached -- and let them play until they shut off. Anything wrong with my method? I should also note that the MicroSD Card for the Walnut contains the ID3 tagged stripped mp3's and wav files (grrr..) The Zishan contains a Micro SD Card with a combination of FLAC, Wav, and mp3 files with no stripping (which makes it the better player IMHO.) Anything I am doing wrong here? Does FLAC use more power than WAV to decode?

My main concern is not necessarily which unit has the better battery, but that I am getting the expected battery life from the Zishan -- since like I said in a previous post it arrived with a dead battery because the unit was left on. I want to make sure that didn't cause an effect on anything.

Thanks!

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #296 of 1,364
Re: Battery Life.

How many hours are you guys getting off of the battery on your Zishan? I have charged it and let it run two cycles now and it seems like I get about 20 hours. Now that's pretty amazing, but my Walnut V2 is *still* going and it's been about 30 hours on a single charge, which is even more amazing. Is it a known fact that the Walnut gets better battery life?

Here's my method: charge each one until full. Put in a MicroSD Card of music into each, turn the volume all the way up -- with no headphones attached -- and let them play until they shut off. Anything wrong with my method? I should also note that the MicroSD Card for the Walnut contains the ID3 tagged stripped mp3's and wav files (grrr..) The Zishan contains a Micro SD Card with a combination of FLAC, Wav, and mp3 files with no stripping (which makes it the better player IMHO.) Anything I am doing wrong here? Does FLAC use more power than WAV to decode?

My main concern is not necessarily which unit has the better battery, but that I am getting the expected battery life from the Zishan -- since like I said in a previous post it arrived with a dead battery because the unit was left on. I want to make sure that didn't cause an effect on anything.

Thanks!

These are my results. My usage is listening to music 2 hrs per day.

Walnut with mp3, I get ~20 hrs.
Zishan with flac, I get ~14 hrs.

May 11, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #298 of 1,364
Can I ask how you ordered it - through an agent? What did you pay in shipping? All this waiting time from Ali is killing me :L3000:
For my country, taobao offers 5 shipping companies that ships direct from their warehouse to SG. No middle agent involved :D

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #299 of 1,364
Just a word to the wise, do not do what I did and click "disable" under devices. It's now locked it an eternal tug of war when plugged in, this Zishan tries to self install and Windows 10 keeps removing it. I see it blink on and off every 5 seconds in "connected devices." It's at this point I'm getting curious about the new Walnut!

May 11, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #300 of 1,364
Just a word to the wise, do not do what I did and click "disable" under devices. It's now locked it an eternal tug of war when plugged in, this Zishan tries to self install and Windows 10 keeps removing it. I see it blink on and off every 5 seconds in "connected devices." It's at this point I'm getting curious about the new Walnut!

I don't have the Zishan yet and don't use windows (so can't test), but I'd search the windows registry for "zishan" and "z1" and delete everything related to the player. If the problem does'nt go away with a restart it must be saved on the computer somewhere, which I would think is in the registry. Otherwise a bit of googling will probably give the solution, it can't be that hard to make it forget the Zishan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back