New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
May 11, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #316 of 1,364
Is there different versions of Z1 like Walnut V2? I want to order one but not sure which store on AliExpress I should buy it from? Where did you get yours guys?

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #318 of 1,364
I am using Audinirvana as my player on my MAC. Audinirvana shows the DAC capability of any said DAC that's connected. The Zishan shows up as 16/48. Is that correct that the Zishan as DAC can only do up to 16/48 natively? I didn't see that in the specs.
Also, I mentioned earlier that I tried to use the Zishan as Portable DAC with a Shanling M1 as transport. The only files that played were 24/48, which I thought was weird. Any body here have any contact information for the maker of the Zishan Z1? I'd like to ask him a couple of questions or maybe request if he could try and do some updates (if that is possible and if the Z1 is capable).

I am actually experiencing the same thing on Linux, my 16/44.1 flacs are being resampled to 16/48 so no bit-perfect playback. Likewise, 24-bit files are stuck at 16/48.

May 12, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #319 of 1,364
I've been digging around in the Walnut thread, looking for the recommended parts replacements (opamps, capacitors, pots), and circuit mods - so I had a fairly good idea where I had seen the mod mentioned.

There is an audible Pop-Thump when the Z1 is switched On and Off, but it's not nearly as loud as the POP that occurs when the the earphones/earbuds are plugged / unplugged (even when the Z1 is not powered On).

I have since read around the thread and it seems like it is due to static discharge if I am not mistaken. Hopefully there will be a genius soon to solve the problem hahaha

May 12, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #320 of 1,364
I found out Zishan has released a new firmware for Z1 player. It supports three new playback modes.
The original files are here:
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1jI5KD8a#list/path=/ZiShan Player 固件/Z1&parentPath=/ZiShan Player 固件
Or you can download a zip file from my dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4abdwkt86kbtjld/Zishan Z1.zip?dl=0

The update is simple. All you need is the ZiShan_Z1_0.2.zip and a TF card. I used a 32GB TF card in FAT32 format.
1) Turn off Z1 player;
2) Extract app.bin from ZiShan_Z1_0.2.zip, and put it in the root directory of the TF card;
3) Insert the TF card into the player;
4) Turn on the Z1 player. The LED light will be on for 3 seconds and then blink ultra-fast for around 5 seconds. (Done).
5) Remove the file app.bin in the card.

What's new in v0.2:
1) Add 180 EQ settings. (What...it's a screen-less player.)
2) Add 3 playback modes: Repeat, Shuffle and Default. (Very useful for me.)
3) Fix a DSD problem.

How to choose playback modes:
Press 'Prev' for a few seconds until the LED light blinks faster than normal, then release. And:
a) Press 'Prev' to choose Repeat track mode.
b) Press 'Stop' to choose Shuffle all tracks mode.
c) Press 'Next' to choose Default play mode. It plays in alphabetical order, I think.

How to set EQs:
Press 'Stop' for a few seconds until the LED light blinks faster than normal, then release. And you are in EQ settings mode:
a) Press 'Prev' to choose previous EQ.
b) Press 'Next' to choose next EQ.
c) Press 'Stop' to choose current EQ.
d) Press 'Prev' for a few seconds to disable EQ.
Total 180 EQs.

How to reset the player:
1) Turn off the player;
2) Press 'Prev' and hold, turn on the player. If the LED light blinks fast, it means the player is reset to factory status.
3) Turn off and on the player again.

Are you f*cking kidding me? 180 settings??? Holy...

May 12, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #321 of 1,364
I am actually experiencing the same thing on Linux, my 16/44.1 flacs are being resampled to 16/48 so no bit-perfect playback. Likewise, 24-bit files are stuck at 16/48.
From the specs of the DAC, it doesn't seem like there should be this limitation.
Weird thing is, I've hooked this up via Audinirvana and got confirmation of 16/48 but another time (via sidebar) it lit up all the way to 96 (although still only confirming 16/48). I'll try to get a screenshot later...

May 12, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #322 of 1,364
I have since read around the thread and it seems like it is due to static discharge if I am not mistaken. Hopefully there will be a genius soon to solve the problem hahaha

Beat me with fried chicken, but I can not reproduce this issue. I can plug in and out my IEMs all day long, no pop whatsoever. Thats both in use and turned off. The only thing changed to stock is the replacement of the op amp.

May 12, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #324 of 1,364
Beat me with fried chicken, but I can not reproduce this issue. I can plug in and out my IEMs all day long, no pop whatsoever. Thats both in use and turned off. The only thing changed to stock is the replacement of the op amp.
Mind I ask which op amp are you currently using mate?
It would be a joy if all one needs to do is just to simply swap out opamps to prevent clicks and pops!

May 13, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #325 of 1,364
Received a Z1 today, very pleased so far, very sweet sound from such a small (& cheap) DAP. 10 days from China to western Europe via AliExpress. Successfully updated the firmware to enable shuffle and EQ settings.

How do we change folders? I've searched here but had no luck so far, anyone?

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #327 of 1,364
I found out Zishan has released a new firmware for Z1 player. It supports three new playback modes.
The original files are here:
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1jI5KD8a#list/path=/ZiShan Player 固件/Z1&parentPath=/ZiShan Player 固件
Or you can download a zip file from my dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4abdwkt86kbtjld/Zishan Z1.zip?dl=0

The update is simple. All you need is the ZiShan_Z1_0.2.zip and a TF card. I used a 32GB TF card in FAT32 format.
1) Turn off Z1 player;
2) Extract app.bin from ZiShan_Z1_0.2.zip, and put it in the root directory of the TF card;
3) Insert the TF card into the player;
4) Turn on the Z1 player. The LED light will be on for 3 seconds and then blink ultra-fast for around 5 seconds. (Done).
5) Remove the file app.bin in the card.

What's new in v0.2:
1) Add 180 EQ settings. (What...it's a screen-less player.)
2) Add 3 playback modes: Repeat, Shuffle and Default. (Very useful for me.)
3) Fix a DSD problem.

How to choose playback modes:
Press 'Prev' for a few seconds until the LED light blinks faster than normal, then release. And:
a) Press 'Prev' to choose Repeat track mode.
b) Press 'Stop' to choose Shuffle all tracks mode.
c) Press 'Next' to choose Default play mode. It plays in alphabetical order, I think.

How to set EQs:
Press 'Stop' for a few seconds until the LED light blinks faster than normal, then release. And you are in EQ settings mode:
a) Press 'Prev' to choose previous EQ.
b) Press 'Next' to choose next EQ.
c) Press 'Stop' to choose current EQ.
d) Press 'Prev' for a few seconds to disable EQ.
Total 180 EQs.

How to reset the player:
1) Turn off the player;
2) Press 'Prev' and hold, turn on the player. If the LED light blinks fast, it means the player is reset to factory status.
3) Turn off and on the player again.

I wonder if we can apply this firmware on Walnut too. Has anyone tried?

May 13, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #328 of 1,364
I wonder if we can apply this firmware on Walnut too. Has anyone tried?

I would make sure I have the original firmware, to reinstall - just in case the update attempt goes pear-shaped... :wink:

May 13, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #329 of 1,364
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back