NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #2,402 of 4,971

You should try to make some nice new cables with Mogami W2893 or Belden wire. I learned how to solder a few years ago from Google and random Youtube videos. Mostly because I sliced my DJ100s internal wires and had to fix it. My skill level is still average, but it's kind of nice being able to make your own cables. None of them ever look very professional, but I don't care. It saves a few dollars and they usually have good shielding. Bulk wire is also only $1.25 or so per foot.

Toughest soldering job i've done is making an AKG Q701 cable. Soldering those tiny Mini-XLR plugs is nearly impossible to me due to the size.

I think my mistake is not getting a good soldering iron and a small Vise. "Helping Hands" and a Vise are a good investment.

Yea I hear alot about the need for helping hands! I might try to start doing recables actually! Start with a cheap ole headphone and see how it goes lol! 

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #2,403 of 4,971

Toughest soldering job i've done is making an AKG Q701 cable. Soldering those tiny Mini-XLR plugs is nearly impossible to me due to the size.

I think my mistake is not getting a good soldering iron and a small Vise. "Helping Hands" and a Vise are a good investment.

I've been soldering HD800 connectors recently; Mini-XLR plugs seem like a big, comfy sofa to relax on in comparison  
regular_smile .gif

The basic tools like a decent temperature-controlled & grounded soldering station makes a world of difference. Ones like these are an excellent value for around forty bucks:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/121144589108  

In addition to the usefulness of a small vise and the "helping hands" accessory, I'd add a small needle-dispenser bottle of rosin flux or at least a flux "pen". 

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #2,405 of 4,971
  I just have to say I have never enjoyed the HD650 more than with the Vali. Such a good next step for thus who want to get more out of their phones. 

I'm curious if you have tried the HD650 with any other Schiit amps like the Valhalla and if so what you thought compared with the much less costly Vali. (Edit - according to the Guide on the Schiit website they recommend the Valhalla).

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #2,406 of 4,971
Thank you for your help. I am going to connect the line out of an FM HD tuner directly to the Vali on the nightstand just to try something different. The line out should be enough level for the Vali would you think? Does this sound like a nice setup? I would think any component line out should work...

I love my SR-80i's but I may upgrade higher up the Grado line don't know yet. I've never done this before...

I connected the line out of iBasso to the RCA input of Vali. I would assume the line out of your FM tuner should work too. I have always felt the SR80 was too bright and bass light (bought it out of curiosity). With Vali the SR80 still sounded a little bright but it's more tolerable. The bass is now more solid and present. I also was wondering if I should try a higher Grado or the AD900x on Vali.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #2,407 of 4,971
I connected the line out of iBasso to the RCA input of Vali. I would assume the line out of your FM tuner should work too. I have always felt the SR80 was too bright and bass light (bought it out of curiosity). With Vali the SR80 still sounded a little bright but it's more tolerable. The bass is now more solid and present. I also was wondering if I should try a higher Grado or the AD900x on Vali.

Hi Jim!
Thanks for getting back. I am not familiar with the iBasso but a line output is what every stereo component has in my way of figuring they should all work. I have literally no line outputs left anywhere in my actual systems. The preamp outs and tape outs are all in use. So the Vali will need to go with a dedicated component line out such as my tuner in a stand alone bedside system - Tuner or CD player plus the headphone amp. It should work fine even with a cassette player line out! (Fingers crossed).

I have really only recently heard the 80's with a proper level from a vintage receiver and did notice some extended highs and much fuller bass with a wide soundstage. Much nicer sound than a simple connection to a CD or tape deck. I'm hoping the Vali will continue that trend for me. I called Schiit for some questions I've had on using a line level component rather than my amp as an input. I'll post what they have to say.

Right now I am considering buying a better set of phones as well as I tally my Christmas debt! I am completely taken by how much headphones have taken over my audio mind after the time I spent building two beautiful high end systems in my house. I'm amazed....

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #2,408 of 4,971
I like SR80 better with an amp. I know the usual impedance rule doesn't seem to work here. SR80 sounds much better with Vali. So do Denon D600 (25 Ohm) and Fidelio X1 (30 Ohm). Vali seems to be able to accommodate a very wide range of impedance. I am using Vali with the iBasso D42 as DAC connected to a laptop via USB.

D42 mamba with vali amp looks like an amazing combo. Im getting D42 Mamba for my SR80is and when I upgrade to MS2 im going to buy vali

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #2,410 of 4,971
I already have the asgard 2, is this vali amp worth buying as well? Or is the asgard 2 slightly better?

I read in 1 post someone using the asgard 2 as a preamp and connecting the vali to it. Is that a good idea?

I am currently using the HD700's

Can anyone give me their opinions on this? Thanks

Hi, I am just into head-fi community. I have a HD700 and am looking for a good budget amp. How does your HD700 sound with Asgard 2? And which dac do you use? Any suggested combos? Thanks!

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #2,411 of 4,971
When I had my HD700, it sounded awesome out of the Lyr/Bifrost combo so I would suggest Vali/Bifrost or Bifrost Uber.  I've got a feeling that the A2 may accentuate the treble on the HD700 too much.

Quote:
Hi, I am just into head-fi community. I have a HD700 and am looking for a good budget amp. How does your HD700 sound with Asgard 2? And which dac do you use? Any suggested combos? Thanks!

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #2,412 of 4,971
Another vote for a glorious sound coming out of my iMac into the Vali and listening with the HD650s. 

Any advantage to getting a dedicated DAC? Would adding the Modi up the quality compared the the iMac's internal one... ? 

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #2,413 of 4,971
A friend and fellow Head-Fi'er was kind enough to lend me his Vali over the holidays (before he had even listened to it himself! THANKS!).  I jumped at the chance to spend some time with this little $120 wonder, and have enjoyed every minute with it since.  I've primarily been splitting time between the HD-800 and Paradox. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back