NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 20, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #2,356 of 4,971
Yeah... whenever I have to transport the Vali around, I usually have to open up the case and re-seat the tubes. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #2,357 of 4,971
Has anyone tried a Vali with the Beyer DT770 / 250 ohm yet?

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #2,358 of 4,971
Dec 21, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #2,360 of 4,971
I dont know (and I didn't say impossible, why do you say that ?) If you compare with more powerful amp i found a huge difference

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #2,361 of 4,971

I can't wait to hear what magical properties of the K550 make it impossible to drive. 

I dont know (and I didn't say impossible, why do you say that ?) If you compare with more powerful amp i found a huge difference

Seriously the K550 can be driven by a toaster oven, you do realize that amps sound differently, each are colored differently [or have a lack of color in a certian way] that said, it could be the Magni does not pair well with the K550, how ever... the K550 don't need a lot of power lol

however you might like a tube with the k550 

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #2,362 of 4,971

Seriously the K550 can be driven by a toaster oven, you do realize that amps sound differently, each are colored differently [or have a lack of color in a certian way] that said, it could be the Magni does not pair well with the K550, how ever... the K550 don't need a lot of power lol

however you might like a tube with the k550 

especially the vali, lotsa power, i liked the 550 with the lyr

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #2,363 of 4,971
Thank you for your opinion, maybe I'm wrong ... This is probably the case if the k550 is deemed easy to drive. I would have to take the Magni home to really compare.
And yes, maybe it's that the Magni does not pair well with the K550.

To be clear, you find that the k550 has a good sound with the Vali ?

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #2,364 of 4,971

I use the HD650's with the Vali and really like them together. Alot of people consider the HD650 to be a "darker" sounding headphone, but for my tastes I love the sound. The Vali with the HD650's for my setup adds warmth to the lower mids, and to me the treble sounds good as well. Setups will vary, and it depends on your personal taste. A lot of people like the Valhalla with the HD650's too. I cannot say from personal experience, but from other posts that I have read, it seems the Little Dot MK III isn't the best matchup for the HD650's, but I am only going by other people's posts, not personal experience so I cannot say for sure. Vali in my opinion is an exceptional amp for the low price and like I said, I personally love it with my HD650's. The Valhalla may be a solid choice for them as well, but I have only read other people's opinion of them with the HD650's. seems most like that pairing as well. Just keep in Mind if you go the Valhalla route, the Valhalla is great for driving high impedance cans, but probably not the best choice if you are planning on using IEMs or low impedance headphones.

They look good and sound better! 

And here's a fun story, the Vali has about 1/6'th the power of my NFB 10ES2 in balanced mode [maybe more maybe less] but... welp it sounds about 94%  as good <3 [although I'm still using the NFb dac]

My point is... for the price the Vali imo kicks some serious tushie! It cost half as much as my Matrix M Stage and sounds better than my Matrix M Stage :O which was a warm solid state... yea a Hybrid Tube sounds BETTER than a Warm Solid State... I  SAID IT 

ehm so that said... buy a Vali for your bright headphones! It's very awesome! 

Got my 650's, they sound great straight from my D1 (flac). I'm not worried now, I think either way, if I go for the Vali of Little Dot MK3, I'll be happy!

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #2,365 of 4,971
  Thank you for your opinion, maybe I'm wrong ... This is probably the case if the k550 is deemed easy to drive. I would have to take the Magni home to really compare.

I have no clue, I only owned my K550 for about a month and I only listened to it with Solid States. I however had a Matrix M Stage, which is imo a rather warm amp and I enjoyed it very much. I feel the Vali, while not as suitable for low Impedance headphones, does sound on par or better than the M Stage] 

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #2,366 of 4,971

You're right about listening to Magni in your system. There's so much subjective variance in an opinion with a different chain, hearing, preferences - you're really gonna want to hear it in your chain, your environment.

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #2,367 of 4,971

Got my 650's, they sound great straight from my D1 (flac). I'm not worried now, I think either way, if I go for the Vali of Little Dot MK3, I'll be happy!

Yes the 650's are awesome IMO. Check out the Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-appreciation-thread, there is a lot of great information in the thread and you can ask other HD650 owners their thoughts on amp pairings with the HD650's. Enjoy your new cans!

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #2,368 of 4,971
Is Vali supposed to be louder than Magni?  Just received my Vali and with my HE-400s, it is louder than my Magni.

Perhaps my understanding is flawed, but doesn't the Magni have more power and a higher gain than the Vali?  Therefore, shouldn't the volume position need to be higher on the Vali and not lower?

Thanks for the info....it's probably a different pot or something that differentiates it...would just like to know.

Darren

PS, for what it's worth on this later unit, can hardly get the Vali to ring.  Maybe 5 seconds on plug insert, nothing from tapping it...so quite happy.

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #2,369 of 4,971
Has anyone tried a Vali with the Beyer DT770 / 250 ohm yet?

Yeah. Tried it. I have to say the DT770 250 ohm sounds MUCH better with the Vali than with the Magni. But even so, I can't listen to the DT770s for too long. Just not my cup of tea.

I find the DT770 to be unrefined and the treble too steely and rough. Probably my least favorite over the ear headphone that I paid a lot for.

But if you like the DT770, I can recommend them with the Vali over the Magni by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back