NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 3, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #1,621 of 4,971
SO let's assume the Vali sounds just as good as the Bravo  V2, Ocean, the Project Ember and the Indeed G3

my question is, will any of those company match Schiit's service? I have strong doubts, hence. Still super stocked to get this amp! I like what's Schiit's doing realeasing this amp, and as a company I"m always happy to hear they put their customers first [wish they'd offer more black amps <3] but that aside. I'm egar to support them :3, good customer service is a heck of a lot better than a black chasis imo [boy it'd be great to have both though xD] 

Again my expectations of this amp, are not so much in how it sounds but more so it's build quality, and the quality of the company behind it :3 

That and I'm sure it sounds a little better than the 3 amps I listed above, all of can get expensive when you start rolling tubes into them! For a $100 Hybrid Tube... I kinda like the idea of one and DONE 

I REALLY wouldn't throw the V2, Ocean, and G3 in a pile with any of the Projects. I can speak for service on them, my Starlight had a small issue with the volume pot and 2-day shipping was paid both ways. Turnaround time was a week total.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #1,622 of 4,971

There are some reasonable electronics explanation for this.  Even in a solid state amp, it is common knowledge that it takes 5 minutes for the "bias" circuit to stabilize.  A tube has much more heat and so more heat-related effects.

Thus a designer will adjust values in the circuit only after the hand built prototype is warmed up, so he can be sure that the values of parts will then stay the same throughout most of the listening session.

So, solid state gear should warm up for 5 minutes, and tube gear for, as you say, 20-30 minutes.

The Vali will be my first Tube headphone amp. So is it pretty much standard practice to allow the Vali (or any tube amp) to warm up for 20-30 minutes, meaning turning on the unit for 20-30 minutes before running a source through it to listen to it?

The warmup is for the unit to sound its best - a point at which you can listen to stuff and it will represent how it is supposed to sound.

BUT, you can listen to any amp immediately - the relay takes something like 20 or 30 seconds to turn on, and then if you've been waiting to hear that new song you just bought, you can listen immediately.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #1,624 of 4,971

And as always, thank you purrin for your input as well, very much appreciated as always.
o2smile.gif

That's what ALL the women say ...

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #1,626 of 4,971

Intelligint Design

The Vali has tubes.  It has two RCA inputs and a 1/4" jack so it can also be used as a headphone amp.  On the front is a volume knob, this is to make the noises louder or softer with the push of a button.  On the back is a switch to turn the amp on or off, putting the power in the hands of the user.  The tubes in the vali are not just decorations.  If they were they would be on the outside.  They are part of the circuit and provide voltage gain.  This is engineer-talk for providing voltage gain.  The amp is Class AB.  Here are some numbers to consider:

Hooked on Microphonics

Is there a downside to all these good things?  The numbers seem too good to be true!  There must be a catch.  Well, there are microphonics to consider.  Microphonics are like the high pitched noises you regularly hear in your head that prevent you from thinking straight and make you do bad things, only they come from a source you can identify.  How big a deal are microphonics?  To find out, I asked the average "man on the street" if they were worried about microphonics or if they thought it was a non-issue.  Most people ignored me, but one man dressed as Jesus in a diaper stated in no uncertain terms that "aliens kidnapped his baby and that's where applesauce comes from."  Strong words indeed, and something that should make Schiit think twice before downplaying microphonics in the future.
  Vs the Woo WA5:

I know what you are thinking - it is ridiculous to compare the two when the Vali is Schiit's newest offering while the WA5 has been eclipsed by the 234.  So you should keep that in mind.  The Vali has a very neutral sound while also being very lively.  In contrast, the Woo WA5 is accurate but fun, this may be due to the WE 300B's.  The Vali has great punch whereas the Woo has more slam.  I'd recommend the Woo if you like the sound of live music but the Vali if you want to recreate sound as if you were in the concert hall.

Vs The Cavalli LG:

The LG has also been usurped by the LAu so this may also not be fair.  Both amps are hybrids, so you would expect them to sound the same.  But they do not. The Vali has weight while the LG has heft.  With the Vali you feel like you are right there while the LG has presence and immediacy. The LG is the winner for those who like Classical or folk music while the Vali shines with analog instruments.

Vs the Mythical Moth 6B4G:

There is only one of this amp in existence and I own it.  The 6B4G is somewhere in between a PX4 and a 2A3.  This amp is an OTL and sounds incredible.  You'd think the Vali couldn't compete!  But it holds its own.  The 6B4G is sweet and spacious but the Vali is saccharine and has great soundstage.  The 6B4G excels with soft passages where the Vali has nuance to pick up microdetails (or "krill.")  The Moth is clearly for dubstep connesewers while the Vali is for those who want to experience music post-lobotomy. 

Vs ECP DSHA-1:

The DSHA one is also a very rare amp.  Very few were ever made and they will be highly sought after.  It is solid state but has a character all its own.  Once again, the Vali is no slouch.  The DSHA sounds like butter while the Vali sounds like I can't believe its not butter.  The DSHA has a wonderful purity of tone while the Vali has me saying "shiver me timbre."  The DSHA sounds like the best of solid state and tube amps brought together while the Vali has all the hallmarks of a great hybrid design.  The ECP is for music lovers while the Vali is for those who appreciate it.

Conclusions

The Vali is a very good amp.  Not just at its price, but at other prices too.  The price could easily be different, and it would still be released.  It is clear from comparisons that the Vali has the goods.  Jason, Mike, and Sankar should all be proud of this product.  It is clear they worked hard and put thought into the amp.  My prediction is it will sell well and see many acclaims from numerous and such as.  I may not be Notre Dames, but I don't need to be a seer to see that this amp will be popular.  I'd like to thank Jason for providing the review sample and all future review samples he will provide me for long evaluation periods.  

Ponderous review....have you been drinking?

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #1,628 of 4,971
So tell me..does the Vali add any warmth to the DT-880? I wouldn't think so. I'm curious how it sounds with a Beyerdynamic headphone. That would probably give me a clear picture of what the heck it's doing..or not.
I would really like to know why the Vali sounds dead neutral/transparent with a Q701 and K400, but very congested/muffled with the HD-650/DJ100 and warmer (more closed in) headphones..

I still think the Vali is extremely good for the Q701, but doesn't add warmth to it. Don't ask me why.  Sounds EXACTLY how it always sounds, which is good to me. Perhaps with the modded Q701 it's slightly better than even the O2. I would not suggest it as a purchase because it's not a good all-rounder. Maybe if you only planned on using it for very specific headphones.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #1,629 of 4,971

He should have done Crack instead.

He's no John Cleese as someone suggested (perhaps sarcastically) and I expect better writing from a contributor. If you're a contributor to head-fi and being given a review sample, show some professionalism and perhaps a few more subordinating clauses. I would be nonplussed if I were from SA and had just read that.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #1,630 of 4,971

He's no John Cleese as someone suggested (perhaps sarcastically) and I expect better writing from a contributor. If you're a contributor to head-fi and being given a review sample, show some professionalism and perhaps a few more subordinating clauses. I would be nonplussed if I were from SA and had just read that.

I totally agree.
It was very confusing writing for sure.

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #1,632 of 4,971
  I'm curious how it sounds with a Beyerdynamic headphone.

I have five hours using the DT-770 250 (obviously not the same as the 880) with my Vali (paired with an iFi iDAC) so far. The first hour or so was very dry, and then it settled into a very pleasing, detailed neutrality. Like many commenters have noted, it's a bit shallow on the bass, but it seemed to improve along the five-hour span. 

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #1,633 of 4,971

I still think the Vali is extremely good for the Q701, but doesn't add warmth to it. Don't ask me why.  Sounds EXACTLY how it always sounds, which is good to me. Perhaps with the modded Q701 it's slightly better than even the O2. I would not suggest it as a purchase because it's not a good all-rounder. Maybe if you only planned on using it for very specific headphones.

The Vali doesn't really add any warmth. I don't consider the Vali a particularly warm sounding amp (the Lyr is warm sounding tho.) Well maybe the Vali is a teeny teeny bit warm. But only after the filaments are white hot and electrons are melting off of it. What the Vali does add is "wetness". That is one major essence of toobs. That is what tooby is. This is what you are experiencing for the first time. Hearing wetness. Something that is warm, yet is not warm, but is actually wet. Tooby does not necessarily mean slow or syrupy or lush or bloomy. Although too much wetness coincides or results with these characteristics.

You are making great progress, but you have much to learn and experience padawan.

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #1,634 of 4,971
  Has anyone tried it with the HD600?

The HD650 is said to have ramped up bass characteristic compared to the HD600. Maybe this is not as good a match for the Vali (compared to Magni) due to lower power and maybe lesser control of the bass? So how does it do with the HD600?

If there's one thing I've learned in audio, it's that system synergy can be king. When you hit a certain synergistic pairing, the result can be way more musical that you had imagined possible with the components on hand.

It sounds like this may be the case with the Vali and HD800, from what folks are saying.

The 600 is stellar when partnered with the Vali..... 

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #1,635 of 4,971

I can borrow an HE-5 (very similar and I believe probably even less efficient than the HE-6), try it out, and report back? Might take me a few days to get my hands on one. Do you wish me to proceed?

y/w. No noise issues for you? I had some noise issues with my HF-2, so I didn't recommend Grados.

The noise floor is not as bad as I expected it to be. I haven't listened to any classical yet, though. I would think that is where it would be most evident. Even with the noise it is still a better pairing than the Magni and Grados because that is a little too bright for me. However, I have a feeling my next purchase will be the Uber Frost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back