New Unique Melody Triple Dynamic CIEM announced
May 2, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #151 of 644
Quote:
Very interesting - everyone that subscribed to the UM newsletter was to get a special code in order to receive a special discount on the DDD Univ/CIEM - Now any Tom, Dick, or Harold can go to the website and get 20% off. And no mention of any of this via email from UM. I would hope that the email eventually arrives and we are given the entire window of opportunity to make the purchase decision. If one was not a member of Head-Fi, the current 20% discount might have gone unnoticed. Maybe it is because I am in the US.

Mind you, I am also a subscriber of UM UK. But I didn't receive any email either. Maybe they have different strategies for different regions.

May 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #152 of 644
Quote:
Very interesting - everyone that subscribed to the UM newsletter was to get a special code in order to receive a special discount on the DDD Univ/CIEM - Now any Tom, Dick, or Harold can go to the website and get 20% off. And no mention of any of this via email from UM. I would hope that the email eventually arrives and we are given the entire window of opportunity to make the purchase decision. If one was not a member of Head-Fi, the current 20% discount might have gone unnoticed. Maybe it is because I am in the US.

Well, UM is little problematic in this.

You subscribed to email newsletter from Unique Melody global(uniquemelody.co, black page design, run by Australians I think), they will offer their discount soon, maybe it will be even bigger(or maybe smaller)?

Now you can get preorder on unique-melody.com, white page design, US distributor run by Stephen Guo.

So you can see, it's action of two different subjects.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #153 of 644
Quote:

Well, UM is little problematic in this.

You subscribed to email newsletter from Unique Melody global(uniquemelody.co, black page design, run by Australians I think), they will offer their discount soon, maybe it will be even bigger(or maybe smaller)?

Now you can get preorder on unique-melody.com, white page design, US distributor run by Stephen Guo.

So you can see, it's action of two different subjects.

Being in the states - will there be any difference in shipping since they all will come from the same source?

May 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #154 of 644
Quote:
That's not the whole point of a custom iem at all.

No, you do not get "perfect" isolation with ciems, not even close.

No, a vented dynamic isn't at all like an open headphone in terms of sound leakage.

Would you like to come slap me as well? What's with this condescension? 

May 2, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #155 of 644
For some people, that's the main point of a CIEM.  (I'm not one of them either.)  

To each, their own.

Hi there. No, it's not a question of to each their own. Customs don't have perfect isolation, that's an objective fact. Dr. John Moulton of Heir Audio posted research on this a while back, maybe do a search for it if you're interested.

Also, vented ciems have only a very small amount of leakage.

In any case, a person who wanted superior isolation and no leakage could go with a universal fit iem with foam eartips, which the research Dr. Moulton posted showed had better isolation than acrylic shelled customs. This would serve his/her needs better. Again, this is not subjective.

May 2, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #156 of 644
Would you like to come slap me as well? What's with this condescension? 

I only pointed out that you were wrong.

Please avoid references to violence in the future.

May 2, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #161 of 644
As many people, I do not like foam tips and as for some iems, they have very specific effects on sound, I never use foam tips, as many iems users I know. In my experience, customs thus provide better isolation, if you compare with silicone tips. So I do not think it is necessary nor useful to be condescending because your are quoting research, as personal experience may be different. Dr Moulton, as you quote him, does not provide foam tips with his iems, and neither do UM if I remember well, so the findings do not apply to a majority of cases.
I only pointed out that you were wrong.

May 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #162 of 644
I face a difficult choice here, custom or universal.  Normally this would be easy, customs are much more comfortable and provide solid noise isolation.  The big problem is I'm from North America and I'm wondering about the length of time it takes to mail impressions and  potential problems with Chinese customs (the government kind).

I vaguely recall reading some negative experiences in other UM threads.  Anyone want to chime in based on personal experience?

May 2, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #163 of 644
Just got the UM Global email - the sale is from May 3rd to the 13th - you have to input your code to get your discount - and it is ONLY for customs....

May 3, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #164 of 644
Quote:

Please avoid responding to me in the future. I have much more to learn from other non-arrogant members here; you may be wasting our time. 

May 3, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #165 of 644

This is the image from the newsletter. I think the vent is the small hole at the bottom of the faceplate, not the big rounded thing in the centre. I think that one is the dynamic driver itself. I might be wrong though.

Really interested in this but I am in the dark about the ports for these. The whole point of having a custom iem is to have near to perfect isolation and not make people mad in public with sound leakage. I wonder what that is going to look like with 3DD

I think 7nationarmy may be right about this that it has a standard Merlin bass port at the bottom of the CIEM, rather than the big black driver in the middle. Maybe that's what UM meant when they said that it isolates just like any other CIEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back