New Ultrasone Edition 5 hinted in the Fujiya Avice Autumn Festival 2013
Oct 29, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #61 of 339
I'm pretty sure as well that the PRO/HFI line will get updates 2014. Signature? Not as soon most likely. 

Oct 29, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #62 of 339
I have no problem with paying a premium for limited edition products such as collectibles (i.e. Sideshow), but for electronics I feel it is about the performance, not taking a product that, based on early impressions, sounds comparable to a mass production product.  So they make a ridiculously low quantity and apply an even more ridiculous, unjustified markup......no thanks.

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #63 of 339
Do they sound better than the LCD3 HD800 and HE-6 combined? What were the general impressions?

Thanks,

:evil:

Hi D-Fox,
Wow, you're throwing 3 of the 4 Horsemen (Sub $2000 minus the TH900) at them right off the bat :D. Your first question reminds me of MuppetFace's post in another thread about "headfi or audiophile math", where you take a bunch of headphones that don't have much in common except pricing, stack them together, and then have the 1 headphone duke it out with the bunch or the amalgamation of the entire bunch :wink:. Well, I guess the only thing these 4 headphones have in common is Flagship status, but comparing 3 open-back vs 1 closed-back to determine which sounds the best, simply comes down to a matter of preference. Honestly, I didn't want to post sound impressions because I had roughly about 2mins with them, with their setup and mine (Tera Player/Vorzuge Duo/ Tralucent Über mini). Many people are curious about how they sound, so I'll chime in with my 3 humble impressions from my brief encounter with them since you asked :wink:. Drum roll please,
1. They sounded pretty balanced, no frequency drowned out the other.
2. They sounded natural, wide, and uncongested.
3. They were detailed and responsive.
I listened to a classical track and rock track with their setup and funk, jazz, and electronica tracks with mine. I like the tuning on this headphone, delivered what was in the tracks without being overwhelmed by the bass/treble/speed, great control, very versatile headphone with many genres.
I also liked the fit, very light and comfortable, similar to Edition 10 and TH900 level type of comfort. The housing is European bog oak, ultra rare. I liked the raw finish, gave it an understated elegance type look.
I hope my impressions were helpful for you D-Fox :).

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #64 of 339
It is a collectors' headphone and technology demo for their new S-Logic system. They totally understand that it isn't supposed to be for most people.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #65 of 339

Seems silly to introduce a new technology in such a pricy model and such limited quantities. You would think they would market it on the cheaper models and get it out there and desired before throwing it into a top tier model.

Not at all.
It's marketing in it's purest form. They release the "new" technology (which in reality is ancient, btw) in a headphone which they PURPOSEFULLY market for an insane price.
Later on they implement the same technology in their lower tier models (which is where the main cashflow comes from) and it becomes a huge marketing selling point where they can say: "look we sell this $100 headphone which has the same NASA technology as our multi billion dollar flagship headphone!

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #66 of 339

Not at all.
It's marketing in it's purest form. They release the "new" technology (which in reality is ancient, btw) in a headphone which they PURPOSEFULLY market for an insane price.
Later on they implement the same technology in their lower tier models (which is where the main cashflow comes from) and it becomes a huge marketing selling point where they can say: "look we sell this $100 headphone which has the same NASA technology as our multi billion dollar flagship headphone!

Makes sense, I guess in high end audio that approach may work better.

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #67 of 339
Does Ultrasone always release Edition iterations quickly after their flagship headphone (Edition 12)? Wasn't the Edition 8 released not too long after Edition 10? Isn't this somewhat cockblocking the sales of their other "ultra-luxury" headphone? 

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #68 of 339
ED 8 was around before Ed 10, if I remember correctly.

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #69 of 339
This was the order of their release, along with the number of examples and price:

2004:
Edition 7 (limited to 999) ~3800 USD

2006:
Edition 9 (limited to 1500?) ~1500 USD

2008:
Edition 8 Ruthenium & Palladium (not limited) ~1200-1500 USD

2010:
Edition 8 LE (limited to 888) ~ 2000 USD
Edition 10 (limited to 1010) ~ 3000 USD

Edition 12 (not limited?) ~ 1800 USD
Edition 5 (limited to 555) ~ 5000 USD

The Edition 8 and 12 are, AFAIK, not limited releases. One is closed and one is open, so they aren't really meant to compete in Ultrasone's eyes. Same with their having a limited edition out alongside the non-limited ones, something Audio-Technica did too with their W-series wooden models at various points. I believe the Edition 10 is no longer in production, and they're mostly trying to clear out any remaining inventory.

The limited versions of the Edition 8s are kind of an exception, as this has proven to be their most popular model over the years, and they tend to release small batches of niche versions like the Romeo & Juliet. It's sort of a family unto itself now.

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #70 of 339
And Asia seems to be much more important to them as Europe or the US market.

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #71 of 339

Ed5 S-Logic EX vs Ed8's S-Logic Plus. I'd need to check but if I remember it's still a 40mm driver (or I ma have mixed up that number with some other headphone I heard yesterday). Ed5 concept is the driver actually is coming from forward (think exaggerated speaker-style) rather than parallel to the ears. Cone shape opening supposed to then create the 3D perceived effect but coming from the front, enveloping the listener.

Extremely comfortable headphone and very light - 265g if I'm not mistaken? Wood cups are deceiving in that it give the impression it's heavy but it's not. Very soft leather pads, and I -think- (based on memory of my former Ed8LEs) the Ed5 is deeper than the Ed8's. More ear cup space internally.

Sound-wise to my opinion sticks along the Edition family house sound (and again if I have to base on memory, Edition 8-type signature) but improved. To my ears different from the Signature Pro/DJ line of house sound. For my personal tastes, I still dream of a Signature Pro/DJ sound in such a housing.

That's about it from me for now.

Thanks for the impressions. Cable looks pretty trendy got to say

''2004:
Edition 7 (limited to 999) ~3800 USD''

Actually didn't know this headphone was priced like such. Explains the $5k we've got here then don't it.I guess if the quantity stays limited to 555 then sell on prices won't go much higher than rrp, if above at all. Unlike the Ed9.

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #72 of 339
Hi MuppetFace

I appreciate you keeping records and putting the facts forward.
I have Ed9 sn 1100 ish. I think they made about 1500 of them. I bought mine from NSL for about $1,100 but have been offered far more than that for them now.

I've been keen to get a listen to a pair of Ed7's but have never even seen a pair in the flesh.
Of the 8's 9's and 10's I'd say the 9's were the best. Interested to hear the Ed5 sometime but it might take a while.

Regards

Sceptre

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #73 of 339
This past weekend I had a listen to the Edition 5 again at the Tokyo International Hifi Show. Being a speaker event, not many people were lining up to hear the Ed5. It's isolation reminded me of the Ed8's (as the distributor had their speakers blaring).  Somehow though for me, the sound is too reminiscent of the Ed8 too but somewhat more refined (more mids than the Ed8 too). At least to my mind, the Ultrasone Edition house sound is distinctively there, different from their Signature Proj/DJ series.

I don't think I'll be committing anymore time to listening to the Ed5. If you do like the Ultrasone Edition house sound and have spare cash to burn, this may be for you. Personally, it's just not for me.

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #74 of 339
  This past weekend I had a listen to the Edition 5 again at the Tokyo International Hifi Show. Being a speaker event, not many people were lining up to hear the Ed5. It's isolation reminded me of the Ed8's (as the distributor had their speakers blaring).  Somehow though for me, the sound is too reminiscent of the Ed8 too but somewhat more refined (more mids than the Ed8 too). At least to my mind, the Ultrasone Edition house sound is distinctively there, different from their Signature Proj/DJ series.

I don't think I'll be committing anymore time to listening to the Ed5. If you do like the Ultrasone Edition house sound and have spare cash to burn, this may be for you. Personally, it's just not for me.

My god, paying 5K for a headphones slightly better than Edition 8 which is barely $250 sound, let alone 1.4K.

I guess they are having good time at Japan. Thank you for the impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back