New Ultrasone Edition 5 hinted in the Fujiya Avice Autumn Festival 2013
Jun 1, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #331 of 339
Edition 5, such a great headphone, clearly a level above hd800 and lcd3 :)

Offtopic: I've got ed5 for sale if anyone is interested, both limited and unlimited...:)

do they sound similar enough?
I read conflicting answers

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #336 of 339
I can't compare ED5 with HD800, because it's too long ago I did have HD800 - but compared with LCD3 soundstage is bigger and less frontrow. I think overall these headphones are complementary to eachother...

I won't sell my LCD-3 in favor of ED5!

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #337 of 339
  I totally agree with you. At that price the manufacturer should have used top of the line components and fully tested the headphones before rolling them to the market. To be honest I like some of their headphones (loved the sound of the Edition 9 but hated the comfort, loved the design and comfort of the Edition 10 but hated the sound) but I am not fan of the company.

Sorry I know this post has been a while. I too love the sound of Edition 9 very very much up to this day and hated the comfort. and Loved the comfort of Edition 10, but hated the sound.
How does the Edition 5 compared to Edition 9? I own Edition 9, and very interested in hearing comparison between Edition 9 and Edition 5. 
Edition 9 has amazing weight, texture, spaciousness, very organic with Smooth Decay!
I have always been very interested how does fully break in Edition 5 compare?

Thanks,

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #338 of 339
I got the Unlimited one, I sent it 2 times to Ultrasone, the new improved sockets/connectors are good so far.
Can anyone compare the ED5 with Fostex TH900, i'm thinking about buying TH900.

Does the ED5 got one driver each side?? from what i'm hearing it should be 2 or 3 drivers each side,,, just amazing...

I am wondering how does one know if they have the updated sockets?

I agree about the sockets is inexcusable for that price, but why does USA have to have a $1k higher price tag?

This latest version S-Logic actually helps in recognition of cues in instruments and vocals, to decipher words and space placement.
The added dimensionality of space helps in giving better focus and life which is what doesn't seem logical.
The tonality seems a bit too neutral at first and as your mind adjusts,
Going back to other headphones seems flat and 2-dimensional in comparison,
Until you put on an HD800 or an HEK which are favorite picks for soundstaging.
The ED12 is nice too but I don't have that one anymore to compare.

Anyways the ED5 is a unique almost frontal perspective that I only partially simulated in my ED8 mod I posted long ago in that thread.
Yet this ED5 perspective is addicting as you notice many details in their own space that normally go flat and unnoticed.
Vocals are never in your head no matter how close the recording made it.

Bottom line this is an excellent headphone worthy of being a top headphone, but the price will always be more than it is worth when I can buy an HEK in almost similar price range or HEX or HD800 S for less.

Regardless, what is does have for it is incredible detail retrieval due to S-Logic help.
This is not a headphone easy to let go..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back