New Ultrasone Edition 5 hinted in the Fujiya Avice Autumn Festival 2013
Oct 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #46 of 339
Everyone had about a minute to listen to them :).

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #47 of 339
Everyone had about a minute to listen to them :).

Do they sound better than the LCD3 HD800 and HE-6 combined? What were the general impressions?

Thanks,

:evil:

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #48 of 339
I think people are overreacting at the price. Ultrasone usually doesn't intend to sell their headphones at their price anyway, and they barely if ever enforce their own MSRP like Sennheiser religiously does. I'm pretty sure Ultrasone knows how a lot of the audio community works and having the $2,000 product instead of the $800 product (assuming the $2,000 product is somewhat better than the $800 one) already makes the $2,000 product more "high-end" and worth more in the eyes of most even though it's not really "$2,000 good." This is because most people will still get it for much less than MSRP and enjoy their $2,000 can because they only payed $1,000 for it and at that price "it was worth it." These might be different since they are limited edition, but as far as Ultrasone products go, this usually holds true. It's pretty obvious that the price tag of the product definitely has some merit to the owner . Just looking at Ultrasone's non-exclusive models like the Pro 900 you can see that they sell anywhere between $250-$450 new if you search the web even though the headphone is listed as a $600 model. I've never seen them for $600 except when they were just launched, but if anyone is wondering what headphones you are wearing, you'll probably say "Oh they are $600, but I got them for $200!" I honestly think Ultrasone plans it that way so the headphone seems to have more inherent value since it's technically a $600 product, but it's doubtful many payed $600 for their set.  

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #49 of 339
They look definitely bigger than the Ed8 in terms of cup size and room. Must mean the soundstage is bigger too. 

I'd love to hear them, though at the price of $5k I have to accept the simple fact - I'm not their target audience. Basically, I won't be purchasing them. That's fine by me really - there are Japanese audiophiles who wear coats more expensive than my most expensive headphones, so for them I guess it's fine. Probably better in fact, as it's an item of higher exclusivity, though if it sounds poor then they'll look more like idiots than cool!

Any impressions on the sound - compare to Ed8 / Sig Pro please. 

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #50 of 339
  They look definitely bigger than the Ed8 in terms of cup size and room. Must mean the soundstage is bigger too. 

I'd love to hear them, though at the price of $5k I have to accept the simple fact - I'm not their target audience. Basically, I won't be purchasing them. That's fine by me really - there are Japanese audiophiles who wear coats more expensive than my most expensive headphones, so for them I guess it's fine. Probably better in fact, as it's an item of higher exclusivity, though if it sounds poor then they'll look more like idiots than cool!

+1 !!!  I can't definetely even dream to spend 3500€ in this but I would really like to hear it or at least know how does this new Ultrasone Sound . 

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #52 of 339
IMO, the model number 5 implies they are a more affordable model than the Edition 8.  I can't imagine even Ultrasone would price a headphone that is so similar in appearance to the Edition 8, but with wood cups at 3X the price of the Edition 8.  I can't imagine even a well-off pure audiophile paying $5,000 for a closed headphone.   What would be the benefit to Ultrasone of such an esoteric product after the perceived failure of the Edition 10?

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #53 of 339

Ed5 S-Logic EX vs Ed8's S-Logic Plus. I'd need to check but if I remember it's still a 40mm driver (or I ma have mixed up that number with some other headphone I heard yesterday). Ed5 concept is the driver actually is coming from forward (think exaggerated speaker-style) rather than parallel to the ears. Cone shape opening supposed to then create the 3D perceived effect but coming from the front, enveloping the listener.

Extremely comfortable headphone and very light - 265g if I'm not mistaken? Wood cups are deceiving in that it give the impression it's heavy but it's not. Very soft leather pads, and I -think- (based on memory of my former Ed8LEs) the Ed5 is deeper than the Ed8's. More ear cup space internally.

Sound-wise to my opinion sticks along the Edition family house sound (and again if I have to base on memory, Edition 8-type signature) but improved. To my ears different from the Signature Pro/DJ line of house sound. For my personal tastes, I still dream of a Signature Pro/DJ sound in such a housing.

That's about it from me for now.

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #54 of 339
A few points.

The first entry into Ultrasone's Edition lineup was the Edition 7 in 2004 or thereabouts. It was limited to 999 examples and retailed for upwards of 3500 USD, which is closer to $4500 today if you adjust for inflation. The Edition 5 is said to be limited to 555 examples, so by Ultrasone's own precedent the price doesn't surprise me that much.

The Edition 8 is not a limited model in and of itself, though a few limited versions have been released. The 8LE for instance was limited to 888 examples, but that basically consisted of a cosmetic upgrade and a new box, so its price wasn't too far from the Edition 8 Palladium. The Edition 5 looks like the Edition 8---and talking to some folks, it apparently sounds similar to an Edition 8---but in Ultrasone's eyes I get the feeling this is being treated as a wholly new model. The choice of the number 5 as a designator puts it closer to the Edition 7, not the Edition 8. Until now the Edition 7 was Ultrasone's most expensive model of all time.

I seriously doubt the Edition 5 will perform as well as other ~$5k headphones like the SR-009, Abyss, Sony R10, etc. In my opinion none of the Edition models of the past have been competitive in their respective price brackets from a purely sonic standpoint (though I do still enjoy some of them). However the Edition line isn't really meant to push new performance boundaries in the first place. It is---and always has been---marketed by Ultrasone primarily from the angle of luxury: you're paying for the materials, the packaging, and the exclusivity first and foremost. To expect these headphones to set new standards in fidelity is missing the point; they're primarily an objet petit a for consumers with a lot of disposable income.

That being said, I have to say I'm rather underwhelmed by the Edition 5 so far. Looking at them I don't really see anything too overtly luxurious. The wooden cups look neat, but they seem rather plain in terms of fit and finish. The printed logo on the other hand looks downright cheap in pictures. The box is not like the massive wooden behemoth that came with the Edition 7, but instead it looks like a pretty run-of-the-mill solution.

In terms of sonics, I've spoken with some folks who have had a chance to listen to them. Reports indicate their signature is very similar to the Edition 8's, with a very bright and tizzy treble. Personally I'm not a big fan of the Edition 8, preferring the Edition 9 and Signature Pro more instead. No one I've spoken to so far seems to notice anything too spectacular going on with the soundstage or other spatial properties, at least nothing beyond the previous incarnation of S-Logic.

Still, I'm really curious to listen to these. I do like the way they look even if they don't scream "$5K" to me.

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #55 of 339
Oct 28, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #56 of 339
Angled but mounted very low and shifted to the front of the earcup. I think this construction could lead to a new basic design for their probably upcoming PRO, HFI and Signature lines. Sounds interesting to me at least.

popcorn.gif

Oct 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #57 of 339
  Angled but mounted very low and shifted to the front of the earcup. I think this construction could lead to a new basic design for their probably upcoming PRO, HFI and Signature lines. Sounds interesting to me at least.

popcorn.gif

Seems silly to introduce a new technology in such a pricy model and such limited quantities. You would think they would market it on the cheaper models and get it out there and desired before throwing it into a top tier model.

Oct 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #58 of 339
Time will tell....

Oct 28, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #59 of 339
A more substantial luxurious finish would have been nice.

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #60 of 339
I'm assuming that S-Logic EX is another way of saying S-Logic Extreme. This could mean that the Soundstage is quite vast and the accuracy is more top notch than S-Logic +. Maybe it'll simulate 5.1/7.1 Surround Sound nicely? 

Based on the article I read from Timelord, the S-Logic EX technology is suppose to give a more natural sense of sound/reality. Along with a balance of reproduction power and a high resolution three dimensional spread. 

http://www.timelord.co.jp/brand/products/ultrasone/edition/edition5/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back