New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Sep 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #976 of 1,937
I would recommend Shure foamies or Comply's. They seem to be the best.

Android apps... The S2 has a Yamaha DAC rather than a Wolfsen DAC so Voodoo sound won't run... most of the other apps just boost the volume. The iPod Touch has a very good DAC/amp section or you could go for a hi-fi player by Hifiman or iRiver. They support more filetypes and stuff but cost a bit more. If you wanna go the iPod route though, wait like 1-2 months when the 5th gen touch/iphone comes out. Get one of those (provided Apple keeps the hardware top notch), or get a 4th gen since the price will drop significantly.

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #977 of 1,937
Regardless of the break stories i decided to take the plunge do to shure's warranty support. When i first put them in i was irritated by how hard they are to put in but once they were in i was amazed. Sound is everything i could have hoped for. Smooth and not harsh and no distortion. I really recommend these headphones.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #979 of 1,937

Quote:
I would recommend Shure foamies or Comply's. They seem to be the best.

Android apps... The S2 has a Yamaha DAC rather than a Wolfsen DAC so Voodoo sound won't run... most of the other apps just boost the volume. The iPod Touch has a very good DAC/amp section or you could go for a hi-fi player by Hifiman or iRiver. They support more filetypes and stuff but cost a bit more. If you wanna go the iPod route though, wait like 1-2 months when the 5th gen touch/iphone comes out. Get one of those (provided Apple keeps the hardware top notch), or get a 4th gen since the price will drop significantly.

I guess i'll try the biggest size Shure foamies... using the medium ones now.
i did a lot of searching and tweaking and finally found an app for droid that provided "better" SQ. Still debating on a "i" device, the compatibility of type of file types on the droid is very nice; like flacs.

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #980 of 1,937
Do these require burn in to sound good because these seem like just bass and nothing else. Will it flatten out over time?

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #981 of 1,937
I wouldn't blame android for the Galaxy's hardware limitations. I have an HTC and it sounds great. The amp isn't quite as powerful as an ipod, but the SQ is quite good IMO. It powers my Shure's just fine and sounds really good... Just my $.02

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #982 of 1,937
Well, my second pair of SE215's are so bad now, they cut out unless I keep my head perfectly still, which can be quite hard at the gym.

I haven't bothered replacing them because I'd probably get another defective pair, and I shortened the cable which might void the warranty. At this point though, they are so worthless even as gym headphones I might as well not use them at all.

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #985 of 1,937
Do these require burn in to sound good because these seem like just bass and nothing else. Will it flatten out over time?

I didn't notice any change before I stopped listening to them entirely.

There's a big mid bass hump, so if you carefully EQ that flat, they are usable. The mids stop being so overshadowed.

However, don't expect much decent treble. The EQ to sort it out is all over the place, and causes its own issues. Just flatten the bass and see if you can become accustomed to the signature.

I should add that no amount of EQ I tried brought out any detail. They seem to be a lost cause.

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #986 of 1,937
I swear judging by graphs they look alike. If the beats tours are overpriced then the Shure SE215 sounds about where it should. But personally I preferred the Sennheiser CX300 to these.

This backs up my theory.

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #987 of 1,937
Hey guys, how the heck do I take the tips off? Please help me i don't want to break it.

Edit: I figured it out.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #988 of 1,937
Yah, it feels like you gonna break it. Grab the foam at the widest end with your thumb, index and middle fingers and SLOWLY twist it while trying to pull it off. Dont try to pull it at an angle, just pull as straight as possible, the nozzle is quite long (you will find out when you get it off).

Its one of those leap of faith things, do it right and it will be all good.

Quote:
Hey guys, how the heck do I take the tips off? Please help me i don't want to break it.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #989 of 1,937

Quote:

Casey - if you're trying to take the Olives off, get a ziplock bag, put the Shures inside, suck the air out and seal, and put them in the freezer for about 2-3 minutes.  it won't hurt the IEMs - not for that brief time.  The foams harden up, and then when you take them out, they are much easier to twist off.

Quote:
i have shure 425's , sound is good but if you need deep bass, these phones are not for you :)
for some reason they dont handle bass very well, gets very distorted.

Can't agree with your second statement.  I had the SE425's for a long time - the bass is nicely balanced, but definitely not heavy.  And they never distorted for me.  I'd check your music source, your music quality and the volume you're listening at.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #990 of 1,937
Long time lurker but my 215 frustration has prompted me to post.  I have a pair of SE210s as well and I loved them.  I wanted something a little more lively though and had purchase a pair of Monster Turbines last year.  Not long after the 215s came out and I picked them up, not aware of this issue.  Soundwise the 215s are very similar to the Turbines but they isolate better and are more comfortable.  And I love Shure.  But they died a month later and I haven't had a chance to do servicing and seeing the constant problems others are having, while I'll get my Shures fixed soon, I feel like that the Turbines are so similar there's not much reason for me to worry much about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back