New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Aug 25, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #961 of 1,937
the iphone cable shouldn't change the sound at all. It just has a third connector on the jack to accommodate the microphone/controls.

And yes, the iphone cable will work with any 3.5mm jack. The iphone part adds a third connector ^^ so if your device does not have the third contact in the jack, nothing will change in regards to it.

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #962 of 1,937
I own both cables and I do notice a bit of difference between the regular cable and the iPhone cable. The iPhone cable has a slight improvement in treble.

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #964 of 1,937
It's possible because the iPhone cable was originally designed for the SE535 which is why there is a $50 (or there about) difference in price between the regular and iPhone models of this IEM.

Having said that I don't recommend buying the iPhone model or the cable strictly to get the slight difference in sound, as this puts the IEM in a price category better served by the VSonic GR07 (slightly more money, almost as isolating, more comfortable, and WAYYYYYYYY better sounding) or the Sony EX600 (in US cheaper, less isolating, similar comfort, and from what I have read WAYYYY better sounding as well.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #965 of 1,937

Quote:
It's possible because the iPhone cable was originally designed for the SE535 which is why there is a $50 (or there about) difference in price between the regular and iPhone models of this IEM.

Having said that I don't recommend buying the iPhone model or the cable strictly to get the slight difference in sound, as this puts the IEM in a price category better served by the VSonic GR07 (slightly more money, almost as isolating, more comfortable, and WAYYYYYYYY better sounding) or the Sony EX600 (in US cheaper, less isolating, similar comfort, and from what I have read WAYYYY better sounding as well.

Lol you said "WAAAAYY."
Don't know why that tickled me so much

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #966 of 1,937

Quote:

I have both the SE215 with the iPhone cable and the Sony EX600. I agree that the EX600 sounds WAYYYY better. I do find the SE215 is a bit more comfortable and easier to put on/take off.

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #967 of 1,937
Thats good to hear, because so far I am not liking the trebble on these. They sound dull.

Quote:
I use the files in my signature and suggest several days or a week of evening to morning burnins. This IEM's treble needs over 100 hrs of use and burnin to start to come into it's own though so while very listenable before then don't write off the treble before then.

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #968 of 1,937
They do improve with time but if you finding them more than a bit dull I don't think you will find the change sufficient to make you happy. But wait and see if you start to adjust mentally to the sound as well. If not consider returning these or selling them and try the EX600 or GR07 (if you can afford the difference in price).

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #969 of 1,937
Yah, I think you're right, I might have to invest in a GR07. Its expensive, but trying different equipment certainly helps you understand what sound you like and dislike.

Quote:
They do improve with time but if you finding them more than a bit dull I don't think you will find the change sufficient to make you happy. But wait and see if you start to adjust mentally to the sound as well. If not consider returning these or selling them and try the EX600 or GR07 (if you can afford the difference in price).

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #971 of 1,937
Just picked these up over the weekend, moved up from SE115's and I am enjoying them so far (makes you look cool with the earpiece and cord over the ear) however i have some first impressions and i'm pretty new to these IEM's

- These are very nice earphones, i'm starting enjoy my music much more, SQ is much better than my SE115's
- They are kind of hard to put on at first, still lots of fiddling around till it get a good fit. 
- Sometimes i hear crackling/static in my music. Did not get this on the SE115's. Maybe it's the quality of the audio (mp3 320kbps), or it's the player? Went from iPhone to a Galaxy S2. Could some experts here can enlighten me?
- Very sturdy fit, with the over-the-ear cable, they are solid and don't fall out even while exercising

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #972 of 1,937
The iPhone (4 presumably?) definitely has superior SQ compared to the S2. It shouldn't crackle though. The crackling could be due to the connector issue that some of the earlier models faced. Try a different source and if you still get crackles, call Shure and they'll send you a replacement; they have excellent customer service.

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #973 of 1,937

Quote:
The iPhone (4 presumably?) definitely has superior SQ compared to the S2. It shouldn't crackle though. The crackling could be due to the connector issue that some of the earlier models faced. Try a different source and if you still get crackles, call Shure and they'll send you a replacement; they have excellent customer service.

Yes, i have actually noticed that the iPhone 4 has MUCH better SQ over the android... atleast volume wise. i find myself maxing the volume on the android and still not getting much out of em....
as for the crackling, it was fine when i switched to another source.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #974 of 1,937
The iPhone has a better DAC and more powerful amp. It's sound processing equipment is pretty much top notch in terms of phones. To test the crackling, plug different phones into the s2 and rotate the jack around a bit and see if it comes up again. Also, plug the SE215's into a different source and test the jack and earphone connectors by just swiveling them around to see if you get sudden volume changes or crackles.

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #975 of 1,937

Quote:
The iPhone has a better DAC and more powerful amp. It's sound processing equipment is pretty much top notch in terms of phones. To test the crackling, plug different phones into the s2 and rotate the jack around a bit and see if it comes up again. Also, plug the SE215's into a different source and test the jack and earphone connectors by just swiveling them around to see if you get sudden volume changes or crackles.

Tried it and it seems that it was just that time when my phones were crackling. Thanks for the tips...
Now i am seriously thinking about buying a iPod for music.... unless i can find a decent app for the droid to fix the crappy audio.

Back to the headphones, any recommendations on foamies? the ones that shipped with the package were fudged up. guess they put it in the package in a awkward way, it's like permanently deformed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back