New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
May 24, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #826 of 1,937
Oh yeah, you'll be happy with the upgrade. I don't have the 200's, but I have the CX300-II's, and the SE215's are a clear upgrade in both sound(especially in the quality of bass and soundstage) and build quality. But these are over-the-ear design, so if you aren't familiar with this design(like I wasn't before getting these) that's something to take into consideration. I still like the regular design much more(like the Sennheiser CX series is), but I've gotten used to the over-the-ear design and it no longer bothers me.

May 24, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #827 of 1,937
well, i tried with my cx200 to wear them like a over-the-ear and i didn't found it disturbing. it' s like wearing glasses, you feel the  when you put them on. and then you don't feel it anymore. i'll use my htc hd2 to play music and a yamaha mg24/14fx, is a upgrade to the se315 a better option, or will the se215 perform almost eqaul. 

thanks.

May 25, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #828 of 1,937
I received the SE215 yesterday and I have been trying the different tips they come with, as well as others. 

At first I was a little disappointed with the treble in these with the supplied silicon tips. Bass and Mids sounded great but I could hear enough detail. However changing tips made a huge difference for me. With the olives as well some yellow foam tips the treble and detail were as good as the rest of the frequency range.

These went from being almost un-listenable (silicone tips) to pretty amazing (olives). 

The olives are not as comfortable as the silicone tips, so I am still searching for the right ones for me. 

I read through most pages of this thread and I am pretty sure that those who did not hear enough treble and detail in these could benefit from just switching to different tips as I found the difference in sound pretty dramatic.

BTW - these pretty much blow all other IEM's I own with the exception of the TF10's 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #829 of 1,937
The olives worked best for me also...I wish I could've kept mine, i really loved the fit :frowning2: I returned them since so many people having issues with them and I didn't want to deal with sending them out for warranty. Maybe when they fix the problem i'll buy another set.

May 25, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #832 of 1,937
Yes, OS2K, I've also noticed the same thing ... It's so drastic, you'd think it was bad R&D on Shure's part to even include the other tips !! I attribute it to the wider diameter of the tip-end: it makes the most sense, especially when you consider that the olive-material should only attenuate the higher frequencies ...

... Maybe someone can develop a mod for all the other tips with smaller diameters at their tips: this may finally equalize the disparity.

May 26, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #833 of 1,937
Just purchaced and recieved my SE215's, am uploading a unboxing video to youtube.
My First Thoughts:

I Purchased them for 130$ AUD.

- Really comfortable 
- Cuts out background noise like nothing i have tried, about the same as a standard foam noise protection ear plug PPE style.
- Audio isnt the best but for the price it is brilliant (comparing to my KRK RP5's with FLAC), as covered by everyone it it is missing the highs IE: Shaker things in eagles - hotel california 
- Build Quality is really good.
- The ear mold wire is annoying to start with but is good now and i can see how it will be brilliant later. (am speeding up the memory wire getting used to my ears by gently pulling the strain relief up to just under my chin pulling the memory wire down)
- Cable length is good, some people hate long cable but I love them because i use desk equipment and need it. Also my music player is normally in my bag not in my pocket.
- Would be Brilliant for public transport, (il find out tomorrow)

Also to those who want to protect their headphones more a pellican 1020 would house the headphones inside shures case nicely. (no case go for a 1010) http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1020 , probably isnt worth it for the 215's but i would for anything more pricey.

Will post link to youtube vis when its finished (1GB takes awhile to upload here).

May 26, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #834 of 1,937
I kind of lost track of how many hours I've been using my 215's, but somewhere between 30-40 hours, all of a sudden the bass really, really came alive. It was there but hovering in the background since I got them, it didn't bother me because it wasn't bad at all, but then...POW!, the bass showed up out of nowhere and has made these IEMs even better to me.

I had started with the olive tips, thought they were sucking up the bass, switched to the silicone tips and things were a little better, got curious after following this thread so long, put the olives back on and heard the bass better than originally. I figured they were just starting to open up so I left the olives on and then the other day I put them in to hop on the bus and go to work. Usually, I just pick some good commuting music, turn it up a bit to drown out the noise of the bus/train/cell phone yakkers, and bury my head in a book. But this particular day, man, I was totally in awe of how great these started sounding and must have looked like a fool during my commute with a goofy grin and I never even touched my book.

It was as if the headphone gnomes got in my bag overnight and tuned up my IEMs. Thank you headphone gnomes! Usually, you steal my favorite tips, or put impossible twists and knots on the cable, or some other  act of playful maliciousness, but not this time. 
bigsmile_face.gif

May 29, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #835 of 1,937
As i said i would:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPZdIU6mZSg
ENJOY!

Quote:
Just purchaced and recieved my SE215's, am uploading a unboxing video to youtube.
My First Thoughts:

I Purchased them for 130$ AUD.

- Really comfortable 
- Cuts out background noise like nothing i have tried, about the same as a standard foam noise protection ear plug PPE style.
- Audio isnt the best but for the price it is brilliant (comparing to my KRK RP5's with FLAC), as covered by everyone it it is missing the highs IE: Shaker things in eagles - hotel california 
- Build Quality is really good.
- The ear mold wire is annoying to start with but is good now and i can see how it will be brilliant later. (am speeding up the memory wire getting used to my ears by gently pulling the strain relief up to just under my chin pulling the memory wire down)
- Cable length is good, some people hate long cable but I love them because i use desk equipment and need it. Also my music player is normally in my bag not in my pocket.
- Would be Brilliant for public transport, (il find out tomorrow)

Also to those who want to protect their headphones more a pellican 1020 would house the headphones inside shures case nicely. (no case go for a 1010) http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1020 , probably isnt worth it for the 215's but i would for anything more pricey.

Will post link to youtube vis when its finished (1GB takes awhile to upload here).

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #836 of 1,937
I just posted a review for these IEMs. Here's a copy:

-----
A smooth bargain
Pros: Isolation, smooth & non-fatiguing sound, comfort
Cons: Minor cable issues

With a trip to Vancouver coming up, I didn't have any decent traveling earphones. The best thing I had was a pair of closed-back Shure SRH440s, but they don't isolate well enough to really cut down on airplane noise. Meanwhile, the Shure SE215s were on sale, so I decided to try my first IEM.

Before I pulled the trigger, I wondered if I should just step up to the flagship SE535s. I have some nice headphones already, and budget headphones can be disappointing. But then I thought, what if I find Shure IEMs uncomfortable? My local Shure dealer does not allow returns on IEMs for "sanitary" reasons, so I'd be stuck with an expensive purchase.

Sanitary reasons...that seems a little stupid to me. How am I supposed to try them out and see which ones I like best? And can't they just charge me a restocking fee for a new set of eartips? Or have cheap eartips just for testing? It's not like you're getting bodily gunk over any other part. (Ewww...sorry.)

Here's what I expected from these IEMs after reading many reviews: bass emphasis, smooth sound, treble roll-off, possibly a V-shaped sound signature, good isolation, best-of-breed comfort.

For the most part, the SE215s lived up to these characterizations. There is a slight bass emphasis, although not as big as I expected. The treble is definitely rolled off, although the detail's still there for the most part. The sound is very smooth, very listenable. I can't see any recording sounding too bright and sibilant and drilling into my brain. That's something the Shure SRH440s can do to me after a while.

A while ago I bought the SRH840s, looking for a better budget closed headphone to replace my SRH440s, and they had a wild, boomy mid-bass emphasis and muffled, overly rolled-off treble. So I wondered if the SE215s would do much the same thing. Thankfully, the bass emphasis of the SE215s is not distracting or too mid-bass heavy, and the treble roll-off isn't overdone.

My lack of enthusiasm for the SRH440s and SRH840s makes you think, why does this guy keep buying Shure products? I've used their microphones for years and love 'em. And I guess I'm an optimist. :)

So the SE215 sound good overall, especially for $90 Canadian. On the negative side, the dynamics aren't amazing, so instruments don't pop. They sound less live, less 3D, more like they're coming from a recording. Not a big deal, but noticeable.

Fit-wise, they seal as well as any earplugs I've used, and they're comfortable for an hour or so. The cord is a little bit weird. You run it up and over your ears, either to the back of your head or below your chin. There you have to tighten it, otherwise the wires around your ears pop up, things get unruly, the IEMs start to droop out of your ears, etc.

I find when I tighten them below my chin, the cord itches my skin for some reason. When I tighten it behind my head instead, it's much more comfortable but awkward to get in place. I guess I'll get used to it.

Overall, a great value from the perspective of someone who's used many full-sized headphones, but no other IEMs.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #837 of 1,937
hi guys, 

First of all i love these headphone to death, its comfortable, cheap and it has a wide soundstage, fun tight bass but horrible highs. However, after my experience with 3 different set of se215 in 3 months, i am seriously considering switching to something else.

The first pair was doing well until 1 month later, the right driver got softer than the left driver, tried different media source and still the same, got it replaced.
2nd pair is working great except the slightest movement on the cable connector to the driver will cause it to have static disturbance.
The 3rd replacement just arrived yesterday and after 2 day of usage, i realised the at certain angle the left driver will produce absolutely no sound.

This is really frustrating and i am wondering if anyone else here is facing the same problems and have any solutions. I am thinking about getting something else with similar sound profile with not too much differences in price, let say i am will to top up  (+/- 50 to 80 bucks). Any suggestion? Any brand will be under consideration as long as the price is right. 

P.S. : I am not sure if this is related but all my defective shure are the clear model maybe the black is different. 

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #838 of 1,937
GR07 is an amazing IEM for $155 exceptional build quality, it doesn't have a replaceable cable so won't have the connection issues you have had and is very comfortable. I still have my SE215 but find the added treble and clarity of the GR07 hard to put down. Since I have not had the issues you and others have had with the Se215 I still think they are a good deal for their price range. But if you have the extra $50 the GR07 is the best bang for the buck IEM I have heard competing with many 3-400 dollar IEM's in my opinion.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #839 of 1,937
I am actually try to avoid armature balanced driver because they tend to sound a little to flat for my preference. Any other candidates ? 

Quote:
GR07 is an amazing IEM for $155 exceptional build quality, it doesn't have a replaceable cable so won't have the connection issues you have had and is very comfortable. I still have my SE215 but find the added treble and clarity of the GR07 hard to put down. Since I have not had the issues you and others have had with the Se215 I still think they are a good deal for their price range. But if you have the extra $50 the GR07 is the best bang for the buck IEM I have heard competing with many 3-400 dollar IEM's in my opinion.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #840 of 1,937
NO NO the GR07 is not BA based I hear you completely about that! The GR07 has a bio cellulose dynamic driver that has more dynamics than anything I have owned. It's has so much more texture than a BA based driver while still having amazing detail. Take a look at Clios thread on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back