New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
May 17, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #796 of 1,937

Quote:
MTPC = strong bass with decent impact. The bass is more impactfull than the SE215 and not in a boomy way. The bass does not encroach on the midrange. The midrange is pretty neutral and slightly thin sounding. The treble has very good sparkle and detail, if you like sparkle you would like the MTPC. Built like a tank and heavy but comfortable in ear. Is a finicky IEM to get inserted correctly in ear depth wise. Cable is slightly more microphonic compared to SE215. The sound stage is close to the same as the SE215 and is smaller than the IE8.

IE8 = heavy bass with a big mid-bass hump that encroaches on he midrange coloring the midrange. Midrange is recessed in comparison to the bass but has nice detail. The treble is not sparkly but fully extended as compared to the SE215 and MTPC. Very easy to insert in ear for me and very comfortable. Cable is very nice with no microphonics.

SE215 = slightly less bass than the MTPC and only a very mild mid-bass hump that warms the mids but nothing like the IE8. Forward smooth mids but not in your face forward (the best aspect of the SE215 in my opinion). Treble is recessed with both cables but is much less so with the iPhone cable. Regular cable is polarizing for comfort. I liked it but do prefer the iPhone cable. Regular cable has least microphonics but both are not bad (better than MTPC but not as good as the IE8).

For the price the SE215 is a great phone but both of the higher ends phones do sound better technically the uestion is whether their price tags out weigh the better sound.

Very good comparrison, except for the ipone cable which I do not have, I tend to agree with all your observations.

May 20, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #797 of 1,937
I couldn't resist... I purchased a pair of SE215's today and they should be coming tomorrow (sweet $4 one day shipping). 

May 20, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #798 of 1,937
 ^ I'm sure you'll dig them. I'm falling in love with my. After a little over of fifty hours of burn-in the sound is really starting to open for me to my ears. I'm really glad I bought these now.

May 21, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #800 of 1,937

Quote:
any comparison to ety hf5's

You're comparing two polar opposites here. The se215 is going to be warm, bassy, and have rolled off highs. The hf5 is cold, clinical, and sports a hyper-forward and extended treble. It's very much an apples and oranges type of difference.

May 21, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #801 of 1,937
May 21, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #802 of 1,937
Well I just got these bad boys and after listening to one of my favorite Trance tunes, I gotta say they sound awesome. I'm not getting the recessed highs as much as I expected which is a good thing. I'm hella glad I picked these up 
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #803 of 1,937
How does these compare to the S4? I heard the SE215 but the tip didn't fit me so i didn't get to experience the sound as it was meant to be heard. Is it noticeably different that it is worth it to buy the SE215, or is it better to save up for a better headset in more expensive price range: Ortofon eq-5 (i already chose the S4 because i like the comfort and sound more, but with all these craving reviews about SE215 i was wondering i should purchase SE215 for the sake of it)? 

May 21, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #804 of 1,937
It's really strange. I am really stressed in this period due to my exams at university. I think that I am going to be crazy or something. 

I did't resist and opened my replacement pair of 215 and started today to hear some music instead of studying. 

I find the sound more clear and more equilibrated than the first pair of my 215 that broke. I don't find anymore the bass forward and the trebles recessed. All seems more balanced. More mids than bass, and more treble that before. The trebles aren't in my face, but are better than what I remember. 
And listening some congested tracks I find them less congested than before. I can't believe to my ears. 

I don't know what is happening to me 
confused_face_2.gif

May 21, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #805 of 1,937
The SE215 in comparison to the S4 = much much bigger sound stage, better mids, not as boomy a bass (tighter), and a NO SIBILANCE! Comfort wise I think they are both good but if you like the Shure Olive tips they are hard to beat.Quality wise I like the build of the SE215 more but other may have a different opinion or experience.

May 21, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #806 of 1,937
If they cant fit properly, I would not buy them. Having a good seal is important with your music

Quote:
How does these compare to the S4? I heard the SE215 but the tip didn't fit me so i didn't get to experience the sound as it was meant to be heard. Is it noticeably different that it is worth it to buy the SE215, or is it better to save up for a better headset in more expensive price range: Ortofon eq-5 (i already chose the S4 because i like the comfort and sound more, but with all these craving reviews about SE215 i was wondering i should purchase SE215 for the sake of it)? 

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 21, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #807 of 1,937
Depends on the recordings of songs. Maybe you listened to a certain artist or album in particular. Or maybe your brain just forgot the sound signature, and your brain is now recreating it since you haven't used it in a while.

Quote:
It's really strange. I am really stressed in this period due to my exams at university. I think that I am going to be crazy or something. 

I did't resist and opened my replacement pair of 215 and started today to hear some music instead of studying. 

I find the sound more clear and more equilibrated than the first pair of my 215 that broke. I don't find anymore the bass forward and the trebles recessed. All seems more balanced. More mids than bass, and more treble that before. The trebles aren't in my face, but are better than what I remember. 
And listening some congested tracks I find them less congested than before. I can't believe to my ears. 

I don't know what is happening to me 
confused_face_2.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 21, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #808 of 1,937
Saw this posted in the deals thread an excellent opportunity for Canadian buyers. Hot London Drugs sale

May 21, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #809 of 1,937

Quote:
Depends on the recordings of songs. Maybe you listened to a certain artist or album in particular. Or maybe your brain just forgot the sound signature, and your brain is now recreating it since you haven't used it in a while.

I don't know. But I am enjoying more the sound. And I can assure that I am listening the same tracks as with the my broken one, and especially after I had the impression that these sound better, I listened to the same tracks with which I was a bit disappointed.

I just noticed one thing on the cable of these new ones. On the strain relief of the plug in there is written "made in china" while on the old ones there was just se215 and 4 numbers.
And this new cable is more soft than the old one that seemed more strong. Just seemed. With this I don't know if there could be some differences.

May 21, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #810 of 1,937
Hrm, I wonder if this observation along with dweaver's impressions of the iPhone cable suggest that the first batch of SE215's had a lacking cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back