New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
May 13, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #766 of 1,937
At store level BestBuy is selling these (at least in Canada) oine Sound Earphones and sometime Musicians Friend has these on sale for $80 for the standard cable model.

May 13, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #767 of 1,937
@h8uthemost:
Was abit harder to cut off compared to the M6; they use a tougher heatshrink(?) on the Shures, but its the same process. Snip carefully, pull the wire out with pliers. Had the same problem with the memory wire sticking out abit at the back of my ear, and now without the wire its abit more comfy

May 13, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #768 of 1,937
Thanks a lot, kid, for the info and the picture! I really appreciate that.

Glad I"m not the only one that was having this problem. So, would you say that you like the wire overall a lot better without the memory wire? And does the wire now fall behind your ear a lot better?

Also, I'm a little afraid if cutting off the rubber and memory wire will void the warranty in any way. Either the Shure warranty or the Guitar Center warranty. What do you think?

Thanks again. By the way, what tips are those?

And to the ones that have recently bought the Shures and are on the fence about the sound, I was in the same boat just a few days ago(read my first impression a couple pages back). But after a few days and few hours of use, I'm really starting to like them. Yeah, they're definitely not as clear as I like. But...this is an IEM, not an open can. So I can't expect brilliant clarity, especially at a $99 price.

Just hang in there a few days and see if the sound starts to open up a bit for you.

May 13, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #769 of 1,937
Originally Posted by matto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

no one can tell me?...

-----

i bought mine from earphonesolutions.com. i bought them on sunday night or monday morning before work. i had them on wednesday afternoon. i live in arizona.

my left earpiece is acting up a little more. it almost seems like it's worse when i adjust them in my ear to make them fit a little better/more correctly. not sure if that makes sense, but it's what i noticed today.

quote fail on my part

May 13, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #770 of 1,937
Thanks a lot, kid, for the info and the picture! I really appreciate that.

Glad I"m not the only one that was having this problem. So, would you say that you like the wire overall a lot better without the memory wire? And does the wire now fall behind your ear a lot better?

Also, I'm a little afraid if cutting off the rubber and memory wire will void the warranty in any way. Either the Shure warranty or the Guitar Center warranty. What do you think?

Thanks again. By the way, what tips are those?

And to the ones that have recently bought the Shures and are on the fence about the sound, I was in the same boat just a few days ago(read my first impression a couple pages back). But after a few days and few hours of use, I'm really starting to like them. Yeah, they're definitely not as clear as I like. But...this is an IEM, not an open can. So I can't expect brilliant clarity, especially at a $99 price.

Just hang in there a few days and see if the sound starts to open up a bit for you.
Without the wire theyre a lot easier to just pop into my ear now, and I get less microphonics, which was the main reason why I decided to snip it off (I use the 215s a lot for walking around). They sorta just flow behind my ear now compared to when the memory wire was in there and I dont even have to use the chin slider anymore. Overall, yes, I do like them more without the memory wire :D. It will probably void your warranty if you tried it, so youd probably need to buy another cable to try removing the memory wire on. I didnt mind much because I bought my 215s used.

About the tips, those are soundmagic/brainwavz biflanges. They have a larger bore compared to the shure tips and it helps to bring out the highs.

May 14, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #771 of 1,937
Yes I tried spinning it on the swivel to try and find better contact. It seems to worsen everything even more too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

no one can tell me?...

-----

i bought mine from earphonesolutions.com. i bought them on sunday night or monday morning before work. i had them on wednesday afternoon. i live in arizona.

my left earpiece is acting up a little more. it almost seems like it's worse when i adjust them in my ear to make them fit a little better/more correctly. not sure if that makes sense, but it's what i noticed today.

quote fail on my part

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 14, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #772 of 1,937

Quote:
@h8uthemost:
Was abit harder to cut off compared to the M6; they use a tougher heatshrink(?) on the Shures, but its the same process. Snip carefully, pull the wire out with pliers. Had the same problem with the memory wire sticking out abit at the back of my ear, and now without the wire its abit more comfy

Just want to add that. beside holding the memory wire in place, the heat shrink also helps protect the cable from direct contact to the skin, which means less problem with skin oil and cable harden up in the future. Just FYI.

May 14, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #773 of 1,937
@Clios can put together a bit of an A/B comparison of the SE215 and GR07 either in here or another thread? In fact can you place it in this thread? http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553949/gr07-vs-se215-comparison-reviews-impressions#post_7470559

Thanks

PS AngrybaconGod and anyone else owning both can you throw your responses in that thread as well? It will help keep this thread as the impression thread it is meant to be.

May 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #774 of 1,937
PS AngrybaconGod and anyone else owning both can you throw your responses in that thread as well? It will help keep this thread as the impression thread it is meant to be.

I suppose so. :wink:

I have the GR07's in my ears RIGHT NOW!! I don't need to break them in to already love them.

Given that bass isn't reported to be as in need of good break in, I thought to compare bass extension to the IE8. Cause you know, that's sorta my initial focus. Can the GR07 replace the IE8 for my use? Well, it doesn't have quite the extension of the IE8, so it is missing a bit of bass impact... but it's so close it's not funny.

May 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #775 of 1,937
Having owned the IE8 if they come close but not quite I might really like that as I found the IE8 to almost have to much bass as times. OK go to that other thread a post post post LOL. I want the nitty gritty on things like decay, timbre etc....

May 14, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #776 of 1,937
Having owned the IE8 if they come close but not quite I might really like that as I found the IE8 to almost have to much bass as times. OK go to that other thread a post post post LOL. I want the nitty gritty on things like decay, timbre etc....

Just to be clear, I'm talking about extension, not emphasis. I'll be comparing in greater depth, but my intial impression is that they don't have a big mid bass hump like the IE8's do. I EQ that out - the only way I can enjoy the IE8s... so these are inherently better for my tastes (no EQ required).

EDITED TO ADD: I hope someone else can provide you with those details... I'll only address aspects which I can perceive myself.. .like the colour and texture of the cable. :D

May 14, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #777 of 1,937

Quote:
@Clios can put together a bit of an A/B comparison of the SE215 and GR07 either in here or another thread? In fact can you place it in this thread? http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553949/gr07-vs-se215-comparison-reviews-impressions#post_7470559

Thanks

Sorry posted a small comparison before seeing this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536342/review-vsonic-gr07-labor-of-love/225#post_7470892

May 14, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #778 of 1,937
Thanks Clios, I will put a link to that post in the thread I started. I am hoping to maybe make that thread a comparison thread that contrasts both IEM's to help peopledecide betweent hem based on budget and sound. You have done a very nice easy to understand concise breakdown between them in that short paragraph BTW. I like that kind of statement as it can help someone decide pretty easily which way they want to go. :)

May 14, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #779 of 1,937
so after reading all these posts about broken shure se215, I'm wondering is it still worth to buy it? they seem to have a high defect rate or whatever..what do you think?
what would be a good alternative to them in the same price category?

May 14, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #780 of 1,937
so after reading all these posts about broken shure se215, I'm wondering is it still worth to buy it? they seem to have a high defect rate or whatever..what do you think?
what would be a good alternative to them in the same price category?

I would be extremely reluctant to buy them now that their poor reliability is coming to light. Life's too short to be dealing with that hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back