New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
May 14, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #781 of 1,937
I really wish I could recommend them, I loved them, but reliability is a big big factor.

I asked Shure if they fixed manufacturing problems or something, but they simply told me to return them for replacement. I asked them again today, so I will wait one more business day to see what they have to say.

Hopefully they are aware of the problem and will make some changes.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 15, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #782 of 1,937
If my left driver starts having the problem as others then I'm just going to return them to Guitar Center under warranty for a refund. I'll just buy something else. I mean, there's gotta be better IEM's out there in this price range. Especially ones that don't have a defect. If mine do mess up guess I'll just save up a little extra and get the TF10's or something like that.

May 15, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #783 of 1,937
It is an inherent weakness of using a rotating socket for connector as you can not guarantee every angle the pin will have a perfect contact in the socket. When the socket is a tiny bit too loose, you get cut off on a certain angles. But if the socket is too tight, you have issue with rotation and worst, socket fitting and pin stress. Anyway, I do believe all the issues with lost connection could be socket related, and most likely on the inner pin socket on the earpeice side. My SE215 too cuts off on the left at a very odd angle though totally doesn't affect normal usage. However as somewhat a DIY person, I did a small mod (not really a mod, more like a tightening) to fix the issue and now it is working 100%.

Here is what I do:

Warning: I hold no responsibility for anything you do to your own IEM. Try it at your own risk!

Tool needed: Small, pointy forceps or similar tool that can take a little force without bending on its own.

SEF1.jpg

SEF2.jpg

Basically, use the forceps to apply a little force on the inner pin socket and start to rotation the earpiece so the inner pin socket receives pressure evenly on all side. This should tighten the pin opening just enough to get better contact to the pin on the cable. Caution: We are not trying to flatten the socket so do NOT apply too much force at first. Instead, try several times and adjust the pressure accordingly. Put the earpiece back and see if it improves or not.

May 15, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #786 of 1,937
I have not had any issues with mine so far and I have been testing the regular and iPhone cables so should be prone to problems. Not to belittle the challenges facing those who have had problems but before this issue is classified as epidemic what about all the people who are not having issues.

Also the Monster Turbine Pro Copper had an issue with it's casing cracking along the two metal halves but it is still a well built IEM, IE8 's also had users with breaking issues and it is another well built IEM.

I do hope Shure fixes any issue in their manufacturing process but just wanted to bring this breaking issue back into perspective.

May 15, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #788 of 1,937
I am one of the most cautious people with my belongings, so the fact that my pair broke, and even more so that both drivers failed leads me to believe that my pair was a fluke in the production line. I got my pair on march 25th, the left driver started acting up in mid april, but it was not much of an issue as on certain angles it would function without problems.

But it's only last saturday that the right driver started doing the same, I think getting a new pair should fix the problem for good, and hope my new pair is fine. However I might consider getting gr07's thanks to ClieOS' great review about the vsonic product.

Are there any direct comparisons you can make between both these IEM's?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 15, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #789 of 1,937
MTPC = strong bass with decent impact. The bass is more impactfull than the SE215 and not in a boomy way. The bass does not encroach on the midrange. The midrange is pretty neutral and slightly thin sounding. The treble has very good sparkle and detail, if you like sparkle you would like the MTPC. Built like a tank and heavy but comfortable in ear. Is a finicky IEM to get inserted correctly in ear depth wise. Cable is slightly more microphonic compared to SE215. The sound stage is close to the same as the SE215 and is smaller than the IE8.

IE8 = heavy bass with a big mid-bass hump that encroaches on he midrange coloring the midrange. Midrange is recessed in comparison to the bass but has nice detail. The treble is not sparkly but fully extended as compared to the SE215 and MTPC. Very easy to insert in ear for me and very comfortable. Cable is very nice with no microphonics.

SE215 = slightly less bass than the MTPC and only a very mild mid-bass hump that warms the mids but nothing like the IE8. Forward smooth mids but not in your face forward (the best aspect of the SE215 in my opinion). Treble is recessed with both cables but is much less so with the iPhone cable. Regular cable is polarizing for comfort. I liked it but do prefer the iPhone cable. Regular cable has least microphonics but both are not bad (better than MTPC but not as good as the IE8).

For the price the SE215 is a great phone but both of the higher ends phones do sound better technically the uestion is whether their price tags out weigh the better sound.

May 15, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #790 of 1,937
As my ear is kind a small, the smallest olive shure do not fit well, so I order comply t-100 to replace it. I have used the olives, single flanges, and recently the comply. I do love the comfort of the comply. Its more flexible with the cpntoir of my ear hole, thus give more isolation and comfor. However, I do favor the sound created by single flange. The bass on comply is little bit less, only that. For sound, I do prefer single flange, however, in comfort wise, I prefer comply by far. Just my 2 cent.

May 16, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #792 of 1,937

Quote:
I have not had any issues with mine so far and I have been testing the regular and iPhone cables so should be prone to problems. Not to belittle the challenges facing those who have had problems but before this issue is classified as epidemic what about all the people who are not having issues.

Also the Monster Turbine Pro Copper had an issue with it's casing cracking along the two metal halves but it is still a well built IEM, IE8 's also had users with breaking issues and it is another well built IEM.

I do hope Shure fixes any issue in their manufacturing process but just wanted to bring this breaking issue back into perspective.

Quote:
I agree dweaver..had mine for a month or so and no problems here either. Hopefully neither of us will, but if so..good to know Shure will replace them.

Same for me... They've been in my ears every day (several hours a day) since they arrived with absolutely no issues.  Mine are the black version.  Hopefully they'll continue to perform this well.

May 17, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #794 of 1,937
Yes it would

May 17, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #795 of 1,937
So what is a good replacement for these earphones? My friends from Canada were suppose to get me one this june, but I don't want them anymore if they gonna break soon and I don't want to deal with extra cost with shipping them back and for to Canada or something like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back