New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Mar 15, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #151 of 1,937

Quote:
My 215's just arrived at my door.  They are packaged well and include a nice soft case, the usual selection of tips (s,m,l silicon/olives) and the instruction manual.  The packaging doesn't require any sharp instruments to open (bonus).  The removable cables are thinner than the 535, and lack their protective outer cover.  I swear you could have used the 535's cable as tie downs or to hold up a loose muffler.  The 215 cables are excellent for this price range and beyond.  They don't retain memory except where they should (ear guides) and are not microphonic at this point.  They fit much like the 535's but the nozzle doesn't appear to be as long. (correction, the nozzle is as long, the olives were bottomed out on the stem) The medium olives come equipped, which are my favorite tip for most IEM's.  They fit nice and flush in my ears, and I could see them being comfortable enough to sleep in. 

I'm a firm believer in burn-in for dynamic iem's, so I will update my first impressions after they've burned in overnight and beyond.

First impression:  Wow, Shure can make an IEM with fun bass. That's the first thing that stands out when coming from the 535's.  The bass isn't sloppy and I don't hear a mid-bass hump, but these are definitely more of a consumer friendly IEM (fun).  I've cycled through a bunch of different songs and genres and so far so good.  The mids are velvety smooth as you would expect and they aren't far behind the bass.  I don't detect much bass bleed in the mids.  The highs aren't as bright or as forward as others in this price range, but they do have sparkle and definition to them.  I haven't heard any sign of sibilance and I don't expect it.  If anything, I'd say these are more balanced than most "fun" IEM's with a slight emphasis on the bass at this point.  Even if the bass doesn't settle in I could be very happy with these.  They will have no problem settling in to my number two position (my W3's will be sold, the others will be gifts).  Even without burn-in, I like these more than my RE0 and my VB's.  They offer enough definition across the board and give me the dynamic punch in the bass that I like.  These won't make me forget about my W4, but they will get more head time as the summer approaches and more of my time is spent outdoors/on the beach.

Shure has a winner here, especially for those that are looking for a fun sound signature.  I can't call these V shaped at this time as the highs don't reach the levels of my VB's, W3's or the HJE900's. They aren't bass monsters either.  They do have an emphasis in the bass region (pre-burnin), but they aren't as bold as the VB's, IE8's, ME6's.  I like what I'm hearing at this point.  The highs are crisp and accurate, the mids are velvety smooth and the bass has great punch and decay.  The more I shuffle through my playlist, the more I like these IEM's.  The soundstage isn't unusally wide, but is sufficiently wide enough for classical orchestra pieces and live music.  You're sitting in the first few rows, but not quite on stage.  Separation is decent for a dynamic, even with very little time on them. I don't hear a veil of any kind and things don't get too messy when a song gets busy.  The 215's are a winner so far.  I'll put a few more hours on them in my ears, then let them burn-in overnight.  The hardest part might be taking them out of my ears, thankfully I have the W4's to fall back on :)

They won't knock any top tiers off the charts, but they will give everything in their price range a run for their money and then some!!

I like what I hear :) I may have to pick one up after a few purchases :)

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #152 of 1,937
Hey JoeyR, somebody who listens to classical! You're in a good position to answer my q. Could you compare the SE215 to the IE8 or IE6 in terms of the bass response and the ability to resolve very fine detail without overwhelming the listener with high frequencies?

I really like detail but, at the same time a fun and dark sound signature. Seems kind of contradictory but its not. I like dark and warm sounding IEMs but like the treble detail to be high, just not very loud. Do the SE215s fit this description? I suppose my perfect IEM would be the IE8 (if I could afford it!) I've got the IE6 which I like but am attracted to the SE215 because the fit and isolation. The IE6 is fairly limited in isolation and I have to push em back in a lot if you know what I mean.

Thanks!

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #153 of 1,937
I had the ie6s before I got the 215s and the 215s definitely go in further and they are much better at isolation.  They seemed to be a bit clearer with regards to the bass response as well.  I really loved the sound of the 215s...too bad I just couldnt' get them to fit on my ears.

PS.  I had the same problem with the ie6s...I'd constantly have to adjust them to get the seal back.  It's ultimately why I got rid of them...plus, they don't sound as good unamped out of a Zune HD as they did out of my Cowon J3.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #155 of 1,937
DBD25: I jumped up to the large silicon cushions from my normal mediums which helps somewhat keep the IE6s from falling out. But nothing compares to foam cushions for a secure fit. Or for isolation... It's too bad there aren't more cushion sizes out there. Instead of S,M,L there should be 5 sizes adding S-M and M-L (me). Getting the taper just right is crucial and would add, what, 3 cents for the manufacturer? I think silicon sounds better BTW but I've never tried olives so maybe they reflect more than comply foams.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #156 of 1,937

Quote:
Hey JoeyR, somebody who listens to classical! You're in a good position to answer my q. Could you compare the SE215 to the IE8 or IE6 in terms of the bass response and the ability to resolve very fine detail without overwhelming the listener with high frequencies?

I really like detail but, at the same time a fun and dark sound signature. Seems kind of contradictory but its not. I like dark and warm sounding IEMs but like the treble detail to be high, just not very loud. Do the SE215s fit this description? I suppose my perfect IEM would be the IE8 (if I could afford it!) I've got the IE6 which I like but am attracted to the SE215 because the fit and isolation. The IE6 is fairly limited in isolation and I have to push em back in a lot if you know what I mean.

Thanks!

I loved the IE8, except....  The fit was finicky for me (best with shallow insertion) and the isolation was horrible.  The mids were often overpowered by the bass (mid-bass hump - the much talked about veil).  The IE8's highs also had me reaching for EQ after a while.  I absolutely loved their wide soundstage, and they were magical for some of my music.  On the whole, I actually preferred the IE7 for the majority of my library.

The 215's can't quite match the IE8's for pure bass power or detail on some levels, but they can still satisfy.  The 215's are warm and smooth.  There's no harshness to be found anywhere.  Although I personally wish they had a little more presence in the highs, I find them better presented or at least clearer than the IE8.  The mids are also more present and enjoyable.  The 215 does very well with classical music, including orchestral performances, but they can't match the impossibly huge, sometimes magical, soundstage of the IE8's (few can). With that said, I still find the soundstage of the 215's larger than any other IEM I've heard around this price range.  The Cello is one of my favorite instruments and the 215 makes that instrument sing.  You get all the bite, all the body.  That's one thing about dynamic IEM's that I've always liked, the way they present natural decay/sustain.

Again, while they can't replace some of the magical aspects of the IE8, for 1/2 to 1/3 the price, you'll be quite surprised by what they can do for your music library. Hope that helps...

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #157 of 1,937
so what makes you liking the ie7 over the ie8? from your description the 215 seems to have same soundsig as the 115.
talked to a shure applications engineer here in germany, he told me, that the 215 has even more bass than the 115 and more expansion to both ends.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #158 of 1,937

Quote:
so what makes you liking the ie7 over the ie8? from your description the 215 seems to have same soundsig as the 115.
talked to a shure applications engineer here in germany, he told me, that the 215 has even more bass than the 115 and more expansion to both ends.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the IE8's, but their mids and highs just didn't do anything for me.  The IE7's were better balanced and handled the majority of my music (rock, metal) better than the IE8's, at least for my tastes.  I had the 7's first, but couldn't resist trying the 8.  I thought I was a bigger basshead than I actually am.  I like the thump every now and then (for motivation), but not enough for everyday use.  The W3 was my favorite until the W4 (the epitome of detail and balance for me), and the 215 gives me the thump at a lower price of admission.  The W3's will be off to a new set of ears when they come back from loan.  The 215's will not truly replace them, but they'll offer me some of the flavor of the W3 and I'll be able to recoup some of the money I've laid out for my other hobby.

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #159 of 1,937
Thanks JR,

Sounds like a winner! I was thinking about trying the Fisher Eterna but was dissuaded by it's fit. The 215 sounds like it can compete as far as an engaging presentation is concerned w/o the fiddle factor of its somewhat unusual ergonomics.

Also, almost like a sign from beyond, my marshmallow podcast phones lost a channel last night. Cable failure... Hmmm...

Quote:
I loved the IE8, except....  The fit was finicky for me (best with shallow insertion) and the isolation was horrible.  The mids were often overpowered by the bass (mid-bass hump - the much talked about veil).  The IE8's highs also had me reaching for EQ after a while.  I absolutely loved their wide soundstage, and they were magical for some of my music.  On the whole, I actually preferred the IE7 for the majority of my library.

The 215's can't quite match the IE8's for pure bass power or detail on some levels, but they can still satisfy.  The 215's are warm and smooth.  There's no harshness to be found anywhere.  Although I personally wish they had a little more presence in the highs, I find them better presented or at least clearer than the IE8.  The mids are also more present and enjoyable.  The 215 does very well with classical music, including orchestral performances, but they can't match the impossibly huge, sometimes magical, soundstage of the IE8's (few can). With that said, I still find the soundstage of the 215's larger than any other IEM I've heard around this price range.  The Cello is one of my favorite instruments and the 215 makes that instrument sing.  You get all the bite, all the body.  That's one thing about dynamic IEM's that I've always liked, the way they present natural decay/sustain.

Again, while they can't replace some of the magical aspects of the IE8, for 1/2 to 1/3 the price, you'll be quite surprised by what they can do for your music library. Hope that helps...

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #160 of 1,937

Quote:
  The 215 does very well with classical music, including orchestral performances, but they can't match the impossibly huge, sometimes magical, soundstage of the IE8's (few can). With that said, I still find the soundstage of the 215's larger than any other IEM I've heard around this price range.  The Cello is one of my favorite instruments and the 215 makes that instrument sing.  You get all the bite, all the body.  That's one thing about dynamic IEM's that I've always liked, the way they present natural decay/sustain.

How well do the 215's present quiter passages in classical music, low volume violin, low volume oboe, and how well do they do Piano.  I primarily listen to classical music and have always been drawn to very analytical sets but do miss a bit of low end resonance that you get from a good dynamic set.

P

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #161 of 1,937

Quote:

How well do the 215's present quiter passages in classical music, low volume violin, low volume oboe, and how well do they do Piano.  I primarily listen to classical music and have always been drawn to very analytical sets but do miss a bit of low end resonance that you get from a good dynamic set.

P

First, I'd never try to pass myself off as a classical expert, I'm more of a dabbler or beginner. I'm still trying to find my way around (I don't know an allegro from an opus 
blink.gif
).  I usually listen to classical music when I want to relax or read.

While I would normally reach for my W4's or HD600's for a more critical listen, the 215's are revealing and enjoyable enough for a casual listen, even at low volume.  The 215's are warm in general and might not reveal every intricate detail, but you won't miss much.  Quieter passages are never muddied or buried, and you can pick out plucked violin notes. Piano in general sounds warm, but has great body. I have picked up several Piano concertos and sonatas along the way and they sound fantastic through the 215's.  I have Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 13 in C major, no. 22 in E flat major, no. 24 in C minor and no. 27 in B flat major and Beethoven's Piano Sonatas Nos. 21, 23 and 26.  While I've only been able to sample some of them with the 215's, they all sound amazing.  The beauty and majesty of a full orchestra comes through with flying colors and the sonata's are intimate and engaging.  You definitely feel (hear) the power of an orchestra or a piano being played with intensity.    

If we were talking about a $150 - $500+ IEM, I'd be way more critical of them. And I feel I must issue the following warning: They will not satisfy those looking to pick every last detail out of their music.  But... For just under $100, you get a comfortable, take anywhere, fun IEM, that does well with every genre I've thrown at it... 

Are they perfect? Nope.  Are they fun? Yes!  Would I sell off my W4's now that I have these? Not a chance.  Would I take these to the beach or gym?  Yes, they will be packed every weekend.  Would I recommend them to everyone?  Yes and no.  It would depend on their expectations and sound preferences.  Did I know that those who talk to themselves make better lovers?  Why, yes, yes I did know that...   LOL    Carry on..

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #162 of 1,937
For myself I have my full-size D7000 for when I want the big sound with detail so all I want is an IEM that gives me close to their sound for the train and at the office where I will never have time to listen critically anyway. If these better my Denon AHC-560R then they will be my new IEM of choice. Of they don't but offer a different and compelling sound then I will likely still keep them. I am at a point I want a compelling full sound more than I want extreme detail. I want to be swept up in the music instead of focusing on the minutia. From the sounds of it these will fill that desire.

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #163 of 1,937
Got mine today as a back up set for my CK10, but have only had time to unpack them, check the fit and listen to a couple of tracks. The fit is fine. In fact, I was surprised to get such a good fit so quickly. I just pulled up my ear to open up the canal, pushed the earpiece in, twisted it round till it felt wedged, and then manipulated the memory wire behind my ear while keeping the earpiece pressed in. The result was a very tight seal which blocked out a lot of noise.

Although I could feel some very slight pressure on my ears, I won't know if that's going to be a problem till I've used them for longer. Very very initial impressions with my Sony X (which is pretty bassy already) are that the 215's have more bass than any other Shure phone I've heard. They sort of remind me of a much-improved Klipsch S4, but without any sibilance and with a bigger soundstage. I'll try them with my iPod Touch 3G later, as that could use some bass!

Oh, I had forgotten the complete and utter joy of wrestling the stuck Olives from the stems!! Luckily, I remembered the freezer trick, so stuck them in there and 15 mins later they came off like a dream.

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #164 of 1,937

Quote:
 The IE7's were better balanced and handled the majority of my music (rock, metal) better than the IE8's, at least for my tastes. 

You said that to prefer IE7 to IE8, so how does IE7 compares to shure se 215 in terms if clarity, bass, mids, highs and soundstage. Does IE7 justify its price increase over shure ?

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #165 of 1,937

Quote:

You said that to prefer IE7 to IE8, so how does IE7 compares to shure se 215 in terms if clarity, bass, mids, highs and soundstage. Does IE7 justify its price increase over shure ?

Sorry, It's been so long since I've heard the IE7, It's impossible to recall their complete sound signature from memory, so I can't give you a fair comparison.  I do remember them being more balanced than the IE8 and they didn't suffer from a veil or mid-bass hump.  And while they sounded good, they didn't do any one thing special enough to make me want to keep them. That's why I upgraded to the IE8 so quickly.  It was only after listening to the IE8's that I realized that the IE7 was better with more of my music, but I never considered buying them again. 

Considering how much I like the 215's, especially after burn-in, personally I'd buy the 215's and use the money saved to buy more music. But keep in mind, I use the Westone 4 as my primary IEM.  The 215's aren't my favorite or preferred IEM, they are just a nice change of pace and a fun listen that I can take anywhere.  If you're looking for the perfect IEM, this isn't it.  It is what it is, a $100 IEM with a warm sound, an emphasis on bass, a solid mid-range and slightly recessed highs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back