New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Mar 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #181 of 1,937
^^  Well, perhaps Porcupine Tree, Tool, Radiohead, Muse, Field Music, and so on - though not sure they'd all be strictly considered Prog Rock, a much maligned term, BTW, specially in Britain. Alternative doesn't quite nail it.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #183 of 1,937
I will have to go by memory but I may be able to shed some light on your question about the Turbines when I recieve my SE215 as I used to own the Turbines as well.

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #184 of 1,937

Quote:
Bit more modern stuff than that but there you go...

I'm currently listening to Tortoise as I type-does that count?   :wink:

Quote:
^^  Well, perhaps Porcupine Tree, Tool, Radiohead, Muse, Field Music, and so on - though not sure they'd all be strictly considered Prog Rock, a much maligned term, BTW, specially in Britain. Alternative doesn't quite nail it.

Tried some quieter Radiohead while walking past traffic today (I am a Wicked Child) and all good enough re: isolation.  It's not Ety but its much better than what I achieved with my W2's or HJE900's.  If I decide they're really worth it I may look into ACS or Minerva custom tips.

They haven't quite opened up as much as I'd hope after about 40 hours but nothing that a few dbs of db doesn't cure- I'm using 'treble boost' on the iphone which gives them a bit of energy in the higher freqs without giving up anything lower down that isn't solved by another notch of volume.

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #185 of 1,937
So can anyone tell me, are these fun like grados??

How is the volume compared to Westone 2? I listen to the westone 2 at 5 / 30 on my Zune HD. I find the soundstage on the Westone 2 to be perfect for a IEM, how does the SE215 fair in this regard?

Shure SE215
107 dB SPL/mW

Westone 2
117 dB SPL/mW

Westone 2 seems considerably louder. Can someone tell me how much they raised the volume when going from a Westone to the SE215?

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #186 of 1,937

Quote:
So can anyone tell me, are these fun like grados??

How is the volume compared to Westone 2? I listen to the westone 2 at 5 / 30 on my Zune HD. I find the soundstage on the Westone 2 to be perfect for a IEM, how does the SE215 fair in this regard?

Shure SE215
107 dB SPL/mW

Westone 2
117 dB SPL/mW

Westone 2 seems considerably louder. Can someone tell me how much they raised the volume when going from a Westone to the SE215?

I've never listened to Grados but they're nearly as much 'fun' like HJE900s if that's any help

Volume wise I find they need less juice than the Westone 2's. 

I never really got on with the W2's in my week of ownership but if memory serves W2 soundstage smaller and more intimate

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #187 of 1,937
Ugh I see a pair of these in my future 
angry_face.gif
 Thanks guys for making me want to try these out now! Probably going to put my Eterna's up for sale since these sound very similar except with better/more forward mids and slightly more controlled bass. Also, the fit and build seems to be leagues about the Eterna's.

So far all the impressions sound pretty great and I'll keep watching this thread for more to come. Interested to see dweavers when his iem's finally show up.

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #189 of 1,937
Just picked up a pair from best buy in Edmonton, Canada yesterday. They weren't even on display yet I had to get the guy to go in the back since they just came off the truck. For 100, I like em so far

edit - oh, and i just wanted to say thanks to Joey. his review basically convinced me to buy these. i am not dissapointed...at all. kudos sir :)

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #192 of 1,937
Aaaarghhhhhhh.....

I paid more money and ordered in advance and could walk into Bestbuy right now and have a pair!!! that just plain sucks! They even have s return policy if I don't like them.

BTW yes they are available in Calgary stores as well at $99.99

Not sure what angers me more, Canada Post, Customs, or my own impatience!

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #193 of 1,937
are US best buys going to carry these?

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #194 of 1,937
I'll admit I'm a sucker for transparent clear shells for IEMs so even if they are at bestbuy I am not tempted because they're black
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back