New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Feb 25, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #1,876 of 1,937
Yes... SE215 and SE846 is where it's at.

Am enjoying the 215s so damned much I have yet to bother upgrading to 846s.

The other day the Mojo was low on charge and forgot to charge it overnight for the next days drive to work.

So I took the Oppo HA2 se instead. And boy could I hear a difference with the 215s.

Then at the next set of lights... I quickly did a swap to the Mojo... Then it dawned on me.

I am the first Audiophile to do AB dac amp shoot-outs whilst driving in traffic.

SP Wild is always at the forefront of audiophilia, for the benefits of my fellow looney tunes...

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #1,879 of 1,937
I've found these on sale for $79.99. Good deal? How fragile are they? 
Seems like a decent price. They are pretty sturdy aside from the plastic tube the tips mount to. That piece always worries me on Shures but has never broken on mine.

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #1,880 of 1,937
Seems like a decent price. They are pretty sturdy aside from the plastic tube the tips mount to. That piece always worries me on Shures but has never broken on mine.

Yeah I have seen that and it worries me. At the same time, I can't seem to find any other iems that have a flush mount in the ear with good bass response :/ 

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #1,882 of 1,937
Yeah I have seen that and it worries me. At the same time, I can't seem to find any other iems that have a flush mount in the ear with good bass response :/ 
If it does break, you can get replacement shells from China for cheap, and I've heard repairs aren't too bad from shure.

Apr 3, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #1,885 of 1,937
  I have a question. I'm thinking about sell my xba h2 and buy 215. Do you guy think it's good idea?

Definitely so...

I could barely discern a difference between either my SE215 or SE215LTD (SPE-A) with my SE535LTD-J... and in fact, I preferred the highs on my SE215SPE-A over my SE535LTD-Js and they were not as fatiguing.  The only area I found my 535s to be better (only slightly) was in the bass and timbre but not enough to justify the huge difference in price and if I had a "do over" I would not have bought the SE535LTD-Js... the SE215SPE-As were good enough. 

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #1,886 of 1,937
Definitely so...

I could barely discern a difference between either my SE215 or SE215LTD (SPE-A) with my SE535LTD-J... and in fact, I preferred the highs on my SE215SPE-A over my SE535LTD-Js and they were not as fatiguing.  The only area I found my 535s to be better (only slightly) was in the bass and timbre but not enough to justify the huge difference in price and if I had a "do over" I would not have bought the SE535LTD-Js... the SE215SPE-As were good enough. 

What do you think between SE215 and SE215SPE? Differences? I have been enjoying my SE215 for 3 years now and I'd like to know whether the SPEs are worth it for me...

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #1,887 of 1,937
What do you think between SE215 and SE215SPE? Differences? I have been enjoying my SE215 for 3 years now and I'd like to know whether the SPEs are worth it for me...

The SPE-As (LTDs) are just ever so slightly ahead of the 215s... like all Shures the normal models are generally very neutral and flat across the board where as the limited/special editions tend to have a boosted lower and elevated higher end.  But I have only found it to be very minor.

A minor difference which I only can discern via big (symphony) classical recordings. Myself, I noticed a boosted lower bass (a tad more detail and body) and clearer highs (improved timbre and definition for cymbals and other high-pitch instruments).  Soundstage and instrument separation sounds the same to my ears.

Really though my opinion the SE215 is great (nearly if not as good as the SE535) and I would only suggest upgrading to the SPE-A (LTD) if either your 215s NEED replacing and/or you are a critical and heavy classical music listener.

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #1,888 of 1,937
The SPE-As (LTDs) are just ever so slightly ahead of the 215s... like all Shures the normal models are generally very neutral and flat across the board where as the limited/special editions tend to have a boosted lower and elevated higher end.  But I have only found it to be very minor.

A minor difference which I only can discern via big (symphony) classical recordings. Myself, I noticed a boosted lower bass (a tad more detail and body) and clearer highs (improved timbre and definition for cymbals and other high-pitch instruments).  Soundstage and instrument separation sounds the same to my ears.

Really though my opinion the SE215 is great (nearly if not as good as the SE535) and I would only suggest upgrading to the SPE-A (LTD) if either your 215s NEED replacing and/or you are a critical and heavy classical music listener.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! No, my 215s are in perfect shape and sound of them is as awesome as ever! And I rarely listen to classical music anymore...I was more of a classical music listener a few years back but nowadays I guess I am finding bigger excitement to more contemporary/experimental genres...

I guess I will stay with my loving SE215! The only iems I've heard so far that come so close in presentation with full size HPs! Thanks again...

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #1,889 of 1,937

On the other hand, someone could think that being flat across the board, as you mention about SE215, is more preferable than some elevated bass and treble, as you hear on the SPEs. Are the SPEs, according to you, more of a V shaped iem than the flatter 215? If so, seems that the SE215s come closer to being reference iems than the SPEs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back