New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Feb 17, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #1,861 of 1,937
And one more question: How much time do Comply foam tips last for you? Are they really getting destroyed/frayed quite fast?

I never experienced the high-replacement phenomenon myself and was replacing the tips every 5-6 months with very heavy daily usage in the tropics and while working in some dusty armpits of the world.  I think the key element here is how you store/transport your IEMs which can have an adverse effect on the tips.  Yes, Comply tips are a little expensive but are well worth it in my opinion in exchange for longer listening, a more comfortable fit, improved isolation, and keeping the nozzles clean.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #1,862 of 1,937
I also love my SE215, but I need to ask something all of you, since you all seem rather knowledgeable of Shure SE215. Do you prefer them with Shure olive foam tips, or with the grey Shure silicon tips? To me Shure silicon is very very comfortable but sound wise I think I prefer the olives which on the other hand are rather disturbing for my ears! What's your opinion? Thanks...

I upgraded my Shure E2 to the SE215 a few weeks ago. The extra bass and clarity are worth it.

I got the P-series Comply tips (medium), and after a short learning curve, I am able to insert them with ease. Very nice improvement in outside sound attenuation, and comfortable over a long listening session.

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #1,863 of 1,937
I never experienced the high-replacement phenomenon myself and was replacing the tips every 5-6 months with very heavy daily usage in the tropics and while working in some dusty armpits of the world.  I think the key element here is how you store/transport your IEMs which can have an adverse effect on the tips.  Yes, Comply tips are a little expensive but are well worth it in my opinion in exchange for longer listening, a more comfortable fit, improved isolation, and keeping the nozzles clean.

Thanks. I guess that by the way of storage and transportation of the iems you mean to put them always in a case and not throwing them in your backpack? Usually cases are small, SE215's case as well, which means that the foam tips are always kind of squeezed in there. Does it influence you think the longevity of the foams?

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #1,864 of 1,937
I upgraded my Shure E2 to the SE215 a few weeks ago. The extra bass and clarity are worth it.

I got the P-series Comply tips (medium), and after a short learning curve, I am able to insert them with ease. Very nice improvement in outside sound attenuation, and comfortable over a long listening session.

You mean T series or S series? Because as far as I know there is no P series in Comply...

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #1,867 of 1,937
Thanks. I guess that by the way of storage and transportation of the iems you mean to put them always in a case and not throwing them in your backpack? Usually cases are small, SE215's case as well, which means that the foam tips are always kind of squeezed in there. Does it influence you think the longevity of the foams?

The squeezed into a clean/protective case, no not much wear and tear there... but most definitely yes they'll wear out faster if thrown into a backpack, jammed into a pocket, or left on the side table/desktop.

Feb 22, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #1,870 of 1,937
The SE215s work quite good with Shure yellow foams. I had a few of them from my SE846s (and former SE535s) and make the sound a bit leaner.

Anyway i do enjoy a lot the SE215 with the Shure foams straight from my iPhone 6 (non European).

Sure i could do with a quicker signature and a bit more detailed treble but overall when i listen to music with the SE215s i seldom miss my SE846 or Westone W30. And for the gym they are just perfect companion. The overall sound remind me of the PA of a concert listened from a good spot.

Looking back on the Shure SE timeline it seems that Shure steered for the Harman curve with the SE215 and carried on with the SE846. Prior to these models the SE line followed the fr of speakers placed on a good room. There has been a pinch of subbass enhancement on the SE215 and the SE846.

Checking on the sound of Westone W80 it seems to me that by now both Shure and Westone have adopted the Harman curve (which is the best approach as far a in ear are concerned).

Back to the SE215s i'd say that price to performance ratio ranks quite high in my book.

It's worth noting that in the marketplace there are truckloads of SE215 / SE535-Red Aliexpress knockoffs so beware and just buy from authorized dealers or you might end up writing a review for the knock off version.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #1,871 of 1,937
Prior to these models the SE line followed the fr of speakers placed on a good room.

Or in the case of the Se425 speakers placed in a good room with a blanket draped over the tweeters and the sub unhooked :p

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #1,872 of 1,937
Or in the case of the Se425 speakers placed in a good room with a blanket draped over the tweeters and the sub unhooked
tongue.gif

I owned the SE420s for 4 years. I don't think it is as bad :wink: Reference sound tuned for in ear listening.

You might be better off with Westone though.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #1,873 of 1,937

I owned the SE420s for 4 years. I don't think it is as bad :wink: Reference sound tuned for in ear listening.

You might be better off with Westone though.

Nah they aren't that bad, but I have to use a 75 ohm adapter and +6db to the sub bass on an EQ to really enjoy them.  Just too far off from my preference for most listening.  The SE215 and 846 suit me much better, but neither is really my ideal sound sig.  

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #1,874 of 1,937
  Nah they aren't that bad, but I have to use a 75 ohm adapter and +6db to the sub bass on an EQ to really enjoy them.  Just too far off from my preference for most listening.  The SE215 and 846 suit me much better, but neither is really my ideal sound sig.  

Using resistors with balanced armature iems ruins the intended signature and might introduce phase issues.

Why don't you steer for different house sounds. It seems that a slight v shaped signature would fit better the bill for you. The SE425s are more like an inverted v.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #1,875 of 1,937
  Using resistors with balanced armature iems ruins the intended signature and might introduce phase issues.

Why don't you steer for different house sounds. It seems that a slight v shaped signature would fit better the bill for you. The SE425s are more like an inverted v.

Oh I do, obviously.  Take a look at my signature :p .  I should probably clarify as well, I don't actually listen to them like that, but it is the best way to get them to sound like I want them to.  I still use them once in a while for certain genres or at the gym and on my motorcycle.  Since I got my NT-6 Pro nothing else sounds really good any more anyway haha.  Even the TOTL iems I've auditioned don't impress me compared to the NT-6.  I do still like the bass of the SE846 and the over-all sound of the CA Vega but for different reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back