New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Aug 16, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #1,606 of 1,937
I have been loving my SE215s, (I got the blue ones) and even though my HE-400i outclasses them SQ wise, it was a totally worthy investment, they are so comfy, and my first nice pair of IEMs, they're great to run with and won't fall out of my ear no matter what. Now I'm looking for a nice portable USB dac and an amp (seperate, I want to be able to have 2 headphones going from two different amps from dac -> y-splitter).

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #1,607 of 1,937
Can't post photos yet but I finally got a new Shure Se215 special edition after returning the used ones i bought. 

Got it at about 70 USD from my country. 

Very amateur audiophile, upgraded from skull candy The Fix. 

Will try to post my impressions on this IEM!

Edit: I don't really notice a MAJOR improvement in sound quality from Skull candy the fix but it might be just me. 

However these IEM's have totally blown me away with the comfort that they give. I can literally wear these for the whole day and not feel anything. In fact, i've been wearing them for hours and you'd forget that they are in your ears. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #1,608 of 1,937
I've only had these things since March of 2015 and the cable is already falling apart. The metal piece that they put in the cable to make the cable stay in place behind your ear has broken in two and caused the wire to fray. 

I contacted Shure support, but they sent me to the repairs section as if they're going to repair this stupid cable. 

Does anyone know if the cables listed on eBay are any good?

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #1,609 of 1,937
Hey guys, i'm going to buy a pair of se215, and was wondering how do they scale with the addition of amps and alike.
I'm asking this, because i am thinking of buying a fiio e11k to add to my soon to arrive fiio x1. So, by adding the amp, would i get noticeable improvements with the se215? Are these the kind of IEMs that scale well with the source?

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #1,610 of 1,937
  Hey guys, i'm going to buy a pair of se215, and was wondering how do they scale with the addition of amps and alike.
I'm asking this, because i am thinking of buying a fiio e11k to add to my soon to arrive fiio x1. So, by adding the amp, would i get noticeable improvements with the se215? Are these the kind of IEMs that scale well with the source?

They scale well with a better DAC, for sure. . .the sound is MUCH better from my Fiio X3ii than from the onboard 3.5mm jack on my laptop. . .however, I doubt they will get much improvement from a better amp, since they are single microdriver IEM's with a high sensitivity and low power-requirement, and only 17ohms impedance.  Even the weakest of amps can drive them perfectly adequately.  And I doubt you will have much use for the analog bass-boost available on the e11k, with the SE215's, since they are already somewhat bass-heavy earphones to begin with.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #1,612 of 1,937
  I have these and I like them, very comfortable fit and I can easily fall asleep with them and I CAN TURN MY HEAD. SQ is fairly good just lacking in the bass.

Lacking in the bass, you say?  Either you are a major basshead, or you are not achieving a proper seal with these and should try some of the other tips and/or deeper insertion (yes, I know, that phrasing, lol).  Because you see, these have some quite elevated bass, and it is scientifically measurable as such.  The higher bass is elevated by about 5 decibels on these, and the mid-to-sub-bass is elevated between 5 and 10dB above the rest of the frequency range beyond simply the level of an equal-loudness-contour.  So yeah, the only way bass on these could seem lacking is if you are someone used to truly massive amounts of bass, or if you are not fitting them correctly to form a proper seal in your ears (which will cause a drastic falling-off in bass-response).

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #1,613 of 1,937

I guess I am a basshead then, my RHA t10i have more bass than these and I use the olive tips or the silicone tips and I made sure my seal was good. I used bassboost on EQ and my FIOs E11k with bassboost turn on....still didn't feel much

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #1,614 of 1,937

I guess I am a basshead then, my RHA t10i have more bass than these and I use the olive tips or the silicone tips and I made sure my seal was good. I used bassboost on EQ and my FIOs E11k with bassboost turn on....still didn't feel much

Oh wow you're into the RHA t10i with the bass-filter in use?  Yeahhhhh dude, you're definitely just a major basshead, then
cool.gif
  I've seen the frequency-response plots of the RHA t10i on Innerfidelity and I am positive that even without the driver-mismatching issues (there is some MAJOR volume mismatch between the drivers in the sub-bass, at least in the sample Tyll got for testing) and the unusually high distortion in the upper-mids and treble (which honestly makes it so the RHA t10i really aren't especially good earphones, at least according to the measurements anyway, unfortunately
confused_face.gif
), I am positive that I still wouldn't like them, even without those flaws, due to the extreeeemely elevated bass.  Even with the "treble filter" in-play, they are very bass-elevated compared to the mids.

About the tips with the SE215. . .I very much enjoy the Shure Olive Tips!  I've tried Comply tips before and while they are a bit more comfy than the Shure tips, I feel like the Shure tips have a better, more durable design that can definitely last for longer.  When I get other, better IEM's in the future (I'm thinking about the Trinity Delta) I will probably see if I can fit them with some Shure Olives!

One thing I've really come to appreciate abotu the SE215 is how they do dynamics!  Drum hits and rapidly-rising-or-falling sounds come across really cripsly on them, they hit nice and hard!

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #1,616 of 1,937

Oh wow you're into the RHA t10i with the bass-filter in use?  Yeahhhhh dude, you're definitely just a major basshead, then :cool:   I've seen the frequency-response plots of the RHA t10i on Innerfidelity and I am positive that even without the driver-mismatching issues (there is some MAJOR volume mismatch between the drivers in the sub-bass, at least in the sample Tyll got for testing) and the unusually high distortion in the upper-mids and treble (which honestly makes it so the RHA t10i really aren't especially good earphones, at least according to the measurements anyway, unfortunately :confused_face: ), I am positive that I still wouldn't like them, even without those flaws, due to the extreeeemely elevated bass.  Even with the "treble filter" in-play, they are very bass-elevated compared to the mids.

About the tips with the SE215. . .I very much enjoy the Shure Olive Tips!  I've tried Comply tips before and while they are a bit more comfy than the Shure tips, I feel like the Shure tips have a better, more durable design that can definitely last for longer.  When I get other, better IEM's in the future (I'm thinking about the Trinity Delta) I will probably see if I can fit them with some Shure Olives!

One thing I've really come to appreciate abotu the SE215 is how they do dynamics!  Drum hits and rapidly-rising-or-falling sounds come across really cripsly on them, they hit nice and hard!

I have 2 SE215s (Regular Edition), and the 2014 version is less bassy. Maybe Shure tweaked the sound signature a bit to make people reach for the SE846...not sure reallly...

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #1,617 of 1,937
I have 2 SE215s (Regular Edition), and the 2014 version is less bassy. Maybe Shure tweaked the sound signature a bit to make people reach for the SE846...not sure reallly...

That might not be a difference between the different year's editions, it could just as easily be a difference between two different units off teh factory floor.

Aug 23, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #1,618 of 1,937
That might not be a difference between the different year's editions, it could just as easily be a difference between two different units off teh factory floor.

Yeah, could be. No 2 things are exactly the same. Even twins.

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #1,619 of 1,937
The SE215 is the most-underrated IEM out there. If there is a "normal" plug and pull version, it would have been more noticed IMO.

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #1,620 of 1,937

It's a sensitive IEM, at 22 ohms impedance. So better have an amp with HP out at 2.75 ohms or less, otherwise its treble starts to roll off. E11 is bassy and too smooth to my ears (not heard the E11k), so I suggest try the E12A, but if budget doesn't allow, try the E06. All you need is to have full bits coming out of your player and lower the HP out's impedance to 2.75 ohms or lower (E06 is at around 1 ohms).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back