New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Dec 22, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #1,441 of 1,937
  What popular full-sized headphones would you liken these to? I've tried ATH-M50x, M-100s, Crossfade LPs, Sennheiser Momentum. These failed to impress me, and I thought it was due to their bassy signature. Later, at a meet, I tried Denon D2000s with wood cups, the Shure SRH1540, and the ZMF Blackwood; these were all bassy and they were incredible. I want that warm, non-v shaped sound, but I fear these will sound like the first headphones I listed. 

The one's you listed in the beginning (m50x, m-100s, LPs, Momentums) are all "consumer" focused products. These headphones tend to focus on a lively, fun sound hence the elevated bass and mid-bass frequencies. Not to say that the higher end Shures are not "consumer" they appeal to both, but more readily the professional. If you are looking for an extremely detailed head-phone with huge sound stage, I would go with an open back over a closed back.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #1,442 of 1,937
  The one's you listed in the beginning (m50x, m-100s, LPs, Momentums) are all "consumer" focused products. These headphones tend to focus on a lively, fun sound hence the elevated bass and mid-bass frequencies. Not to say that the higher end Shures are not "consumer" they appeal to both, but more readily the professional. If you are looking for an extremely detailed head-phone with huge sound stage, I would go with an open back over a closed back.

Sorry, should've been more clear. I'm looking at highly-isolating IEMs, mainly the Shure line. I'm looking at the SE215, 315, and 425. I want the elevated bass the SE215s are said to have, but I'm afraid they'll be a bit muddy and have some bleed into the mids. I also don't want lackluster guitars; in other words, I shouldn't lose any highs or mids for the sake of having a little extra bass. Good separation is very important as well.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #1,443 of 1,937
Sorry, should've been more clear. I'm looking at highly-isolating IEMs, mainly the Shure line. I'm looking at the SE215, 315, and 425. I want the elevated bass the SE215s are said to have, but I'm afraid they'll be a bit muddy and have some bleed into the mids. I also don't want lackluster guitars; in other words, I shouldn't lose any highs or mids for the sake of having a little extra bass. Good separation is very important as well.

Which IEM or headphones are you using now? If you are not too picky I would go with the215s for bass. Being the owner of all 3 you listed above, the 425s are by far a lot superior sonically and technically. If these are you first real IEMs I think you will be happy with the 215s as the 215 will give you the most bass quantity while the 425s will have the deeper lows and much tighter bass.

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #1,444 of 1,937
Which IEM or headphones are you using now? If you are not too picky I would go with the215s for bass. Being the owner of all 3 you listed above, the 425s are by far a lot superior sonically and technically. If these are you first real IEMs I think you will be happy with the 215s as the 215 will give you the most bass quantity while the 425s will have the deeper lows and much tighter bass.

I'm using the Shure SRH440, which is neutral/slightly bright. I'm not too worried about the amount of bass as long as it's mostly neutral; my headphones now are okay, but a bit more bass (can be a little or a lot) and refinement is what I'm looking for, as well as very good isolation. Are the SE315s better ($100 better?) than the SE215s while retaining a similar sound signature? If the 315 isn't worth it compared to the 215, I may go right up to the 425, which I've heard should be neutral. If it needs more bass, I'll be getting the FiiO X1, which should give it some more power and has EQ.

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #1,445 of 1,937
  I'm using the Shure SRH440, which is neutral/slightly bright. I'm not too worried about the amount of bass as long as it's mostly neutral; my headphones now are okay, but a bit more bass (can be a little or a lot) and refinement is what I'm looking for, as well as very good isolation. Are the SE315s better ($100 better?) than the SE215s while retaining a similar sound signature? If the 315 isn't worth it compared to the 215, I may go right up to the 425, which I've heard should be neutral. If it needs more bass, I'll be getting the FiiO X1, which should give it some more power and has EQ.

The SE215 will have the most similar signature as the SRH440. I would either go with the 215s or 425s. Not to say that the 315s are bad, they are better than the 215s for sure but not sure if they will suit the signature you are looking for. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #1,446 of 1,937
The SE215 will have the most similar signature as the SRH440. I would either go with the 215s or 425s. Not to say that the 315s are bad, they are better than the 215s for sure but not sure if they will suit the signature you are looking for. 

I own the 215 and until last week, the 425 as well, and they're two different signatures. The 425 is neutral, while the 215 is quiet warm. They both have that signature Shure sound of forward and lush mids though.

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #1,447 of 1,937
I own the 215 and until last week, the 425 as well, and they're two different signatures. The 425 is neutral, while the 215 is quiet warm. They both have that signature Shure sound of forward and lush mids though.

The 425s are totally neutral, not bass-light? If so, I believe I would prefer the refinement/separation of the 425 over the extra bass of the 215; I've also heard the Shure line responds well to EQ, if I do need a bit more bass. One last question, do electric guitars sound pushed back or behind many things on the 425?

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #1,449 of 1,937
The 425's are really good pieces for their price. Albeit the sound is abit flat,but vocals on it to me at least are really good,significantly better than the 215

That's great to hear; I love great, forward vocals, and as long as it isn't bass-light I think I'll be very happy with it. Thanks everyone for all your help, hopefully I'll have the SE425 by early spring!

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #1,452 of 1,937
Hello!
I had the SE535s previously but I could not motivate the price so I sold them.
However, I'm thinking of buying a pair SE215 instead. I quite like a microphone with volume adjustment, and as the cable is replace I would like to get a new cable for these units.
Does anyone have a recommendation of a replacement cable with microphone for the SE215?

Thanks in advance, and merry Christmas!

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #1,453 of 1,937
  Bass being behind everything, drums having very little to no punch and being placed behind most/all other instruments.

Bass is not as punchy as the 215s in terms of quantity. The 425s have enough bass to please me, if you want the best sound out of any SE series I would highly highly recommend the Sensaphonics Shure Custom Sleeves. They improved the sound on my 425s especially in the lower regions due to a better seal and instrumental separation was a lot clearer due to the increased attenuation. I would go for the 425s any day a much more "audiophile" friendly IEM over the 215s. 

At this point I'm not sure what you need you want, at first you said you would like "a bit more bass (could be a bit could be a lot)" and now you say that you you want a completely neutral IEM. You need to definitely try on both these pairs to make a judgement for yourself. Everyone's definition of bass could be different, however I can tell you that the general consensus is that SE215 are livelier with more bass due to a dynamic driver. The 425s are the most flat sounding out of all the 215, 315, and 535s. You may find that it is too lifeless, however, bass is not a big concern for me therefore the 425s would naturally be my first choice.

My recommendation for you is to go with the 215s, these provide great clarity with a good amount of bass - definitely not overpowering at all. You will be satisfied with a variety of music. I use my 215s more often than my 425s haha they are a great pair of IEMs!

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,454 of 1,937

Bass is not as punchy as the 215s in terms of quantity. The 425s have enough bass to please me, if you want the best sound out of any SE series I would highly highly recommend the Sensaphonics Shure Custom Sleeves. They improved the sound on my 425s especially in the lower regions due to a better seal and instrumental separation was a lot clearer due to the increased attenuation. I would go for the 425s any day a much more "audiophile" friendly IEM over the 215s. 

At this point I'm not sure what you need you want, at first you said you would like "a bit more bass (could be a bit could be a lot)" and now you say that you you want a completely neutral IEM. You need to definitely try on both these pairs to make a judgement for yourself. Everyone's definition of bass could be different, however I can tell you that the general consensus is that SE215 are livelier with more bass due to a dynamic driver. The 425s are the most flat sounding out of all the 215, 315, and 535s. You may find that it is too lifeless, however, bass is not a big concern for me therefore the 425s would naturally be my first choice.

My recommendation for you is to go with the 215s, these provide great clarity with a good amount of bass - definitely not overpowering at all. You will be satisfied with a variety of music. I use my 215s more often than my 425s haha they are a great pair of IEMs!

Sorry about that; I meant my Shure SRH440 was a little bass-light, as others have said, not quite neutral. Anything from neutral to pretty bassy would be good for me. I'm listening right now on my Shures with bass settings up one or two (I believe it adds 3dB with each turn). Unfortunately, I can't try these out, I don't have enough to buy both and I don't think there'll be another meet here for a while. Bass isn't too much of a concern, as I said as long as it's neutral, it should be fine, and more bass is good but not needed. Custom sleeves, though I would really like them, aren't within budget. I'm leaning towards the SE425 because of its quality, it seems to be a very good IEM for the price and I assume is more resolving than the SE215. I'll see what I get for gift cards and money this Christmas; if I get $75+ to Guitar Center, that'll get me the SE425s for ~$200, which would be great. If I don't get that much, I'll probably go with the SE215. Thanks again for everyone's responses, you've all been very helpful. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,455 of 1,937

Sorry about that; I meant my Shure SRH440 was a little bass-light, as others have said, not quite neutral. Anything from neutral to pretty bassy would be good for me. I'm listening right now on my Shures with bass settings up one or two (I believe it adds 3dB with each turn). Unfortunately, I can't try these out, I don't have enough to buy both and I don't think there'll be another meet here for a while. Bass isn't too much of a concern, as I said as long as it's neutral, it should be fine, and more bass is good but not needed. Custom sleeves, though I would really like them, aren't within budget. I'm leaning towards the SE425 because of its quality, it seems to be a very good IEM for the price and I assume is more resolving than the SE215. I'll see what I get for gift cards and money this Christmas; if I get $75+ to Guitar Center, that'll get me the SE425s for ~$200, which would be great. If I don't get that much, I'll probably go with the SE215. Thanks again for everyone's responses, you've all been very helpful. 

Sounds like a plan! Keep us updated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back