New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Apr 8, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #1,501 of 1,937
  Just got the Sennheisers (and a job at the local circus.....) 

Congrats for the job man
beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #1,502 of 1,937
I put my SE215s aside shortly after buying them. The J-shaped cable cable kept falling out of my iPod.

Months later, I spoke to my dealer, who recommended the simple Shure extension cable.

I was pissed at having to spend an extra $15.

But, after trying a wide array of other IEMs while my Shure's were out of action, I have come to the conclusion that the 215s are pretty darn wonderful. They're as good soundwise as anything I have tried.

Unfortunately, I managed to accumulate too many IEMs during this period. I'm now gifting or selling many of them.

As for the 215s, my happy ears keep coming back to them.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #1,503 of 1,937
I put my SE215s aside shortly after buying them. The J-shaped cable cable kept falling out of my iPod.

Months later, I spoke to my dealer, who recommended the simple Shure extension cable.

I was pissed at having to spend an extra $15.

But, after trying a wide array of other IEMs while my Shure's were out of action, I have come to the conclusion that the 215s are pretty darn wonderful. They're as good soundwise as anything I have tried.

Unfortunately, I managed to accumulate too many IEMs during this period. I'm now gifting or selling many of them.

As for the 215s, my happy ears keep coming back to them.

Yup, excellent earphones. Can't believe I didn't get this much earlier. And the fit is perfect too, I could use this and listen to music the whole time I'm sleeping. Great great product.

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #1,504 of 1,937
For all prospective buyers of the SE215s:

Just updated my review of the SE215's with a video! 

Also don't forget to check out my review here on head-fi as well. Thanks!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-se215/reviews/12487

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #1,505 of 1,937
How often should I replace the Olives? I've had my SE215s since early January, so it's been almost 5 months. They are quite a bit softer than when I first got them, and I wasn't sure how often it was recommended that I replace them. 

Also, @cuiter23, great review, enjoyed it and agreed with your findings.

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #1,506 of 1,937
For all prospective buyers of the SE215s:

Just updated my review of the SE215's with a video! 

Also don't forget to check out my review here on head-fi as well. Thanks!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-se215/reviews/12487

I didn't find any mid-bass hump nor lack in treble details. Maybe compared to many other IEMs that are on boomy side or bright side it would sound that way.

I cannot even find lack of treble extension, which in watching for because it's frequency range is only up to 17khz. I was comparing my other IEMs and HPs and I can't find any details lost.

I think cutting off the frequency from 18khz up is good as it cleans up the sound and removes listening fatigue. Maybe cause if listening fatigue is 18khz up which we cannot hear anyway, don't know...

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #1,507 of 1,937
I didn't find any mid-bass hump nor lack in treble details. Maybe compared to many other IEMs that are on boomy side or bright side it would sound that way.

I cannot even find lack of treble extension, which in watching for because it's frequency range is only up to 17khz. I was comparing my other IEMs and HPs and I can't find any details lost.

I think cutting off the frequency from 18khz up is good as it cleans up the sound and removes listening fatigue. Maybe cause if listening fatigue is 18khz up which we cannot hear anyway, don't know...

Bear in mind again this is just my own opinion. 

When I first bought the SE215s I though these were the best thing around but after trying out many IEMs extensively I can confidently conclude that for the MSRP $99 there are better sounding sets out there (in terms of resolving power). I do like my SE215s a lot because they are built well and do sound good. If it were not for stage use for my SE215s where I can just toss them around, I would have sold them already. Just because they don't sound as good as some others around or even below this price point, they still do sound quite good.

I'm sure most people on here can conclude that the SE215s are a warm IEM with a slight bass tilt. The bass is good but not perfect, a bit boomy for me. Mids are outstanding for this price point and I truly find the highs lacking (maybe not any details lost per se) but just in the overall quality and quantity of the treble definitely leaves something to be desired for in that region. It just lacks the overall energy and speed you would like for faster and more demanding tracks. Also, I doubt most people will be able to hear past 17-18khz for that matter lol. 

Thanks for the response and comment, always good to have a second opinion!

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #1,508 of 1,937
I'm upgrading from the se215. Built and fit was amazing! Second best only to the RHA t10i. Sound quality was decent, but I'm coming from the Sennheiser Momentum Over ear. I never thought IEM's could sound so good, which is why I got rid of my Momentum over ear (just isn't practical for portable use and glasses). I got rid of the se215 as well. I'm either going to get the t10i or possibly se425. I just haven't come to a conclusion yet.

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #1,509 of 1,937
Bear in mind again this is just my own opinion. 

When I first bought the SE215s I though these were the best thing around but after trying out many IEMs extensively I can confidently conclude that for the MSRP $99 there are better sounding sets out there (in terms of resolving power). I do like my SE215s a lot because they are built well and do sound good. If it were not for stage use for my SE215s where I can just toss them around, I would have sold them already. Just because they don't sound as good as some others around or even below this price point, they still do sound quite good.

I'm sure most people on here can conclude that the SE215s are a warm IEM with a slight bass tilt. The bass is good but not perfect, a bit boomy for me. Mids are outstanding for this price point and I truly find the highs lacking (maybe not any details lost per se) but just in the overall quality and quantity of the treble definitely leaves something to be desired for in that region. It just lacks the overall energy and speed you would like for faster and more demanding tracks. Also, I doubt most people will be able to hear past 17-18khz for that matter lol. 

Thanks for the response and comment, always good to have a second opinion!

Have you heard the SE215 Special Edition? Your comments were addressed exactly. There's more bass extension, but still articulate or defined. And there's definitely more treble details. I think you'll like it. And I now understand where you're coming from, and I think you're right.

Wifey liked the SE215's SQ and grabbed my pair...lol, so decided to get myself another, turns out the shop I went to have the Special Edition, doesn't make sense to get the regular version again. I find the two versions with substantially different sound signatures. The Special Edition sounded more like most IEMs, but with more accuracy and definition, more articulate. The regular edition has a more unique sound, if there's one word to describe it...I'd choose "live". It reminds me of how live music sounds like. So it's more realistic.

I'm upgrading from the se215. Built and fit was amazing! Second best only to the RHA t10i. Sound quality was decent, but I'm coming from the Sennheiser Momentum Over ear. I never thought IEM's could sound so good, which is why I got rid of my Momentum over ear (just isn't practical for portable use and glasses). I got rid of the se215 as well. I'm either going to get the t10i or possibly se425. I just haven't come to a conclusion yet.

Try the SE215 Special Edition.

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #1,510 of 1,937

I'm sure most people on here can conclude that the SE215s are a warm IEM with a slight bass tilt. The bass is good but not perfect, a bit boomy for me. Mids are outstanding for this price point and I truly find the highs lacking (maybe not any details lost per se) but just in the overall quality and quantity of the treble definitely leaves something to be desired for in that region. It just lacks the overall energy and speed you would like for faster and more demanding tracks....

Here, Here. +1

I agree so much with this description. This iem is the perfect for working in the yard/exercising. It is serviceable (and even enjoyable) in a cofee shop or commute. Imo, it is unacceptable for analtyical listening in a quiet environment. But the durability, fit and isolation, along with some great mids and an overall enjoyable sound haven't been beaten yet at this price point, in my experience. This is the right iem for almost everyone, for almost any time. 

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #1,511 of 1,937
Have you heard the SE215 Special Edition? Your comments were addressed exactly. There's more bass extension, but still articulate or defined. And there's definitely more treble details. I think you'll like it. And I now understand where you're coming from, and I think you're right.

Wifey liked the SE215's SQ and grabbed my pair...lol, so decided to get myself another, turns out the shop I went to have the Special Edition, doesn't make sense to get the regular version again. I find the two versions with substantially different sound signatures. The Special Edition sounded more like most IEMs, but with more accuracy and definition, more articulate. The regular edition has a more unique sound, if there's one word to describe it...I'd choose "live". It reminds me of how live music sounds like. So it's more realistic.

Possibly, but I just picked up the RHA t10i to test out. It has a 14 day return policy.

Apr 18, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #1,512 of 1,937

Haha maybe I'll sell my SE215s and pick up the LTDs since I need the extra bass on stage... And I love how it looks :)

Here, Here. +1

I agree so much with this description. This iem is the perfect for working in the yard/exercising. It is serviceable (and even enjoyable) in a cofee shop or commute. Imo, it is unacceptable for analtyical listening in a quiet environment. But the durability, fit and isolation, along with some great mids and an overall enjoyable sound haven't been beaten yet at this price point, in my experience. This is the right iem for almost everyone, for almost any time. 

Completely agree, I rated this headphone on here 5/5 initially because I thought it presented such a great value. Simply outstanding balance of comfort, build, and decent sound at this price!

Possibly, but I just picked up the RHA t10i to test out. It has a 14 day return policy.

Let us know how you like it! :)

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #1,513 of 1,937
Haha maybe I'll sell my SE215s and pick up the LTDs since I need the extra bass on stage... And I love how it looks :)

Completely agree, I rated this headphone on here 5/5 initially because I thought it presented such a great value. Simply outstanding balance of comfort, build, and decent sound at this price!

Let us know how you like it! :)

The SpEd sounds like it has lower bass overall and with bit more of sibilance in the treble.

Is this SpEd same as LTD edition? It looks like it's not limited anymore, it's regular issue model now.

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #1,515 of 1,937
They are the same. How do you like it?

I like it very much. Though I miss the regular edition's sound signature, which is unique among IEMs I've tried. As I've said, the RegEd sounds more like live music, so it's realistic and cleaner to me, more organic, natural. SpEd is more detailed both in bass (with much lower bass) and treble (more sibilance and sparkle), but to me it doesn't sound like the real thing, sorta it's analytical. So if you'll compare and try to discern which is lacking like doing a review, I think the SpEd would win most of the time as it doesn't lack anything and reveals everything in the recording. You could say it's more accurate, while the RegEd is more "fun" in the sense that it tweaks and makes a recording sounds like you're listening to the musicians without amplification. My honest 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back