New Sennheiser HD650's and this amp?
Aug 3, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #46 of 80

please update us on this combination 
smile.gif

i also have the ie8 and while it has more bass power and being extremely portable, the hd650 has an advantage on everything else. also the ie8 doesn't benefit from my amps a lot unlike the hd650...

Quote:
I'm actually leaning towards picking up HD 650 and Nuforce HDP together in a few weeks. I've read a ton and can't really picture a better setup for the price based on my reading at least. I finally got a chance to audition HD 650 at a local head-fier's place and left pretty impressed.

Although it's very similar in sound signature to my Sennheiser IE8, I'm really craving the extra comfort, power, and soundstage of a full-size setup. One of the main things that attracts me about the Nuforce HDP is that it has an outstanding USB input section that can handle playing downloadable high resolution music from sites like HDTracks directly through my PC.

I'd be interested everyone's impressions on HD 650 and whatever amps you choose, especially HDP.

Thanks!
-Dave

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #47 of 80
Using HD650, I sold my WooAudio 3 upgraded with Blackgates and better tubes after I bought HDP. WA3 was better than HDP but not enough to justify extra $850.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #48 of 80
Reading up on the Nuforce HDP.......

I just got the Headroom Total Bithead amp in the mail today.  While it drives my Shure SE530's very well, my HD650 just doesn't seem to get enough juice.  It'll be good to attach to my ipod or my Macbook if I'm on the go though, so I'll probably keep it.

Now, white or black...

Quote:
I'm actually leaning towards picking up HD 650 and Nuforce HDP together in a few weeks. I've read a ton and can't really picture a better setup for the price based on my reading at least. I finally got a chance to audition HD 650 at a local head-fier's place and left pretty impressed.

Although it's very similar in sound signature to my Sennheiser IE8, I'm really craving the extra comfort, power, and soundstage of a full-size setup. One of the main things that attracts me about the Nuforce HDP is that it has an outstanding USB input section that can handle playing downloadable high resolution music from sites like HDTracks directly through my PC.

I'd be interested everyone's impressions on HD 650 and whatever amps you choose, especially HDP.

Thanks!
-Dave

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #49 of 80

Quote:
Check out the Schiit Asgard.  Under $300 class A, discreet output - HD6XX recommended.

Listen to this person! The Asgard only costs $250 but I enjoy it just as much as my $800 amp with most headphones I've thrown at it. It's a seriously good value.

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #50 of 80

Quote:
Using HD650, I sold my WooAudio 3 upgraded with Blackgates and better tubes after I bought HDP. WA3 was better than HDP but not enough to justify extra $850.

Hey Kostalex, thanks for the additional information. I have to say, if HDP is even pretty close to WA3 in its stock configuration, I will be a happy camper since it has all of the other features I want.

Would you mind expounding a tad on the differences in the sound signature using your HD 650s between the WA3 and HDP? I'm really curious as to where they are similar and where they are different. Is the HDP close enough to your upgraded WA3, where you think it might be as good as stock WA3?

Hope that's not too demanding. As you can see, I'm pretty excited about this comp.

Thanks!
-Dave

@bscott - easy answer, pick black!

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #51 of 80
Does anyone know how the HDP compares with the Headroom micro amp / dac combo in terms of sound quality?  Or even what would be the best desktop amp for $300-450 in combination with the hd-650?

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #52 of 80
I'd go with the Asgard if you already have a DAC, or the HDP if you need one. The Burson HA-160 is also very good with the HD650 if you want to spend a little more $ for an amp, as it was R&D'd with the HD650.

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #53 of 80
Upgraded WA3 had the following benefits over the HDP and stock WA3
  1. warmer sound, more engaging mids - vocals, guitars, etc. 
  2. bigger, especially deeper soundstage
  3. better coherency of the sound

Stock WA3 was rolled off on the deep bass. I did not compared it HDP directly, but I doubt I would prefer it to the HDP. 

Quote:
Would you mind expounding a tad on the differences in the sound signature using your HD 650s between the WA3 and HDP? I'm really curious as to where they are similar and where they are different. Is the HDP close enough to your upgraded WA3, where you think it might be as good as stock WA3?

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #54 of 80

Quote:
Upgraded WA3 had the following benefits over the HDP and stock WA3
  1. warmer sound, more engaging mids - vocals, guitars, etc. 
  2. bigger, especially deeper soundstage
  3. better coherency of the sound

Stock WA3 was rolled off on the deep bass. I did not compared it HDP directly, but I doubt I would prefer it to the HDP. 

Thanks for the additional details. It sounds like HDP is a nice value indeed as WA3 is very well regarded with HD 650. I appreciated that you listed the benefits.

Thanks
-Dave

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #55 of 80
Went ahead and ordered the Nuforce (Black).  :wink:

I can audition it and return it if I don't like it, but I think I'll like it.  I don't know any other amp that does 24 bit over USB *and* optical for that cheap.

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #56 of 80
I think you made a good choice; from what I have read the DAC is indeed excellent, looking forward to your impressions.

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #57 of 80
I'm looking into the HD600's and HD650's (still looking for a thread comparing the two). Edit: found a couple:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/135386/which-senn-600-or-650
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/64728/going-for-sennies-600-650

Are most amps that are good with one also good with the other? I'm looking for something of good value to power these, preferably $250 or less. Thanks

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #58 of 80
I've heard from many users that have owned both that the HD 600 is easier to pair with amps than HD 650. In other words, HD 600 seems to sound pretty good with most amps that have enough power to drive it properly while HD 650 can be a little finicky with some amps and have synergy issues.

I have compared both side by side and I ended up preferring HD 650, although each had advantages on different tracks. It just sounded a little smoother and more refined to me with a slightly fuller sound.

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #59 of 80

Quote:
I'm looking into the HD600's and HD650's (still looking for a thread comparing the two). Edit: found a couple:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/135386/which-senn-600-or-650
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/64728/going-for-sennies-600-650

Are most amps that are good with one also good with the other? I'm looking for something of good value to power these, preferably $250 or less. Thanks

For $250 the Schiit Asgard will brighten your day, put a smile on your face, etc.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #60 of 80
I ended up ordering the Burson Audio HA-160 for these phones.  Why even bother buying lower tier equpment when many end up selling it (loose money) and end up buying somthing better anyways?  I was on the fence too with getting some of the lower priced amps.  In the end it didn't make sense to get high end phones and not couple it with high end hardware.  Seems like I would have been cheating myself to do otherwise. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back