New Sennheiser HD650's and this amp?
Jul 26, 2010 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

darthgator14

New Head-Fier
Hello to all! My day of internet browsing has lead me here. I've been researching headphones for the past few weeks and finally pulled the trigger on a pair of Sennheiser HD650's. Well little did I know that the world of headphones was as intense as it is. I have long been into home theater equipment so I'm not new to the audio world, but headphones are a different story to me.

My question to you experienced users is will my setup be ok or should I get a seperate amp? My headphones should arrive this week so I want to be able to listen to them correctly. I don't have that much of a budget (just built an ultimate gaming pc ha) so I would like to know whether I need something new (possibly $300 range) or will this stuff be enough?

My home audio gear is this: Pioneer Elite SC-05 Receiver and a Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-Ray/CD player.

For the past year when I don't/can't turn up my big speakers I've been listening to music on a pair of Bose (yes I know) Tri-Ports and when I'm on the go an Ipod with Klipsch S4 in-ear headphones. Is this new pair of headphones going to be a world of a difference with my current home gear or am I going to need a separate amp to notice the difference?

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 80
Just use the HD650 out of the receiver for now - when you get stunned like a mullet, you'll naturally get curious about amplification - until then just enjoy the cans out of the receiver first - if the signature is to your liking, we then move on to matching amplification.

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 80
Yes - give them a try on your receiver. Later, if you want to invest in a dedicated headphone amp or the itch for vacuum tubes develops, there are plenty to choose from. But you should get good performance right out of the receiver.

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 80
Ok so I'll try them hooked up to my receiver first and go from there. Im not really knowing what to expect....

This is all just new to me. I mean I can kind of relate with home theater equipment. So would a separate headphone amp be comparable to a pre/pro and separate amp setup for a home theater setup? And I not an extreme audiophile, I'm just a college kid who loves great sound, so in the future, when I'm done listening to them on my receiver what kind (and how much $) of amp should I be looking/saving for?

Sorry I have so many questions, this is just all new to me. Because I know the equipment people use for a 2 channel stereo speaker setup is way different than what people use for a 5.1 surround sound setup, so I'd imagine the equipment used in headphone listening would be the same?  

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 80

Quote:
Ok so I'll try them hooked up to my receiver first and go from there. Im not really knowing what to expect....

This is all just new to me. I mean I can kind of relate with home theater equipment. So would a separate headphone amp be comparable to a pre/pro and separate amp setup for a home theater setup? And I not an extreme audiophile, I'm just a college kid who loves great sound, so in the future, when I'm done listening to them on my receiver what kind (and how much $) of amp should I be looking/saving for?

Sorry I have so many questions, this is just all new to me. Because I know the equipment people use for a 2 channel stereo speaker setup is way different than what people use for a 5.1 surround sound setup, so I'd imagine the equipment used in headphone listening would be the same?  

If you dont like the sound coming out of your Pioneer Elite SC-05 Receiver.

You Could al ways upgrade to A DAC/AMP or a AMP.

What sort of connectivity do you want from your AMP?

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 80
Well thats what I don't know. If I were to get a separate amp it would be strictly for my headphones since my Pioneer receiver handles everything else, so what what I need for that case?

Also for now, should I have my CD player hooked up to my receiver via HDMI (current connection) or should I change it to optical or regualr red and white stereo connections?

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 80
Optical conection is the best way to go in my opion.

Also can you give me a rough idea of what input and output, you would like in amp.

For example : Coxial,optical,usb,anlog,line in.

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 80
Well if I were getting an amp just for my headphones I guess all I would need is an optical and analog (red and white?) connection. Because in the future all I can see myself wanting is just a good CD player an amp to drive my headphones when I want to listen to pristine sound.

Also this might be a long shot asking this but I like all sorts of music but love listening to the Eagles, Elton John, U2, Allman Brother and others on my big stereo so are there any particular CD's from those groups that are just outstanding when listened to on headphones? Thanks

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #9 of 80

Quote:
Well if I were getting an amp just for my headphones I guess all I would need is an optical and analog (red and white?) connection. Because in the future all I can see myself wanting is just a good CD player an amp to drive my headphones when I want to listen to pristine sound.

Also this might be a long shot asking this but I like all sorts of music but love listening to the Eagles, Elton John, U2, Allman Brother and others on my big stereo so are there any particular CD's from those groups that are just outstanding when listened to on headphones? Thanks

Sorry but i have now exsperince on those CD`s .

Also how much are you looking to spend on an headphone amp?

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 80
Try your HD-650 straight from iPod (or other DAP). Then plug iPod into the receiver line-in and HD650 into the receiver headphone out. Listen the same song and you would get a picture what are the amping benefits.

Plugging iPod to receiver, it is better to use iPod line-out. If you use iPod headphone out instead then maximize the iPod volume.

Quote:
My question to you experienced users is will my setup be ok or should I get a seperate amp? 

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 80

Quote:
Try your HD-650 straight from iPod (or other DAP). Then plug iPod into the receiver line-in and HD650 into the receiver headphone out. Listen the same song and you would get a picture what are the amping benefits.

Plugging iPod to receiver, it is better to use iPod line-out. If you use iPod headphone out instead then maximize the iPod volume.

Before purchasing an amp i would suggest what Kostalex said

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #15 of 80
$449 would get you Nuforce Icon HDP - very nice DAC/amp combo for HD650 (see my sig?). Then you may connect your CD directly to HDP, which has all the digital inputs available: optical, coaxial and USB. So you may use your computer as a source. And I believe this is a most handy source. 

Quote:
What would $300-500 get me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back