New Sennheiser HD650's and this amp?
Feb 26, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #76 of 80

Quote:
I just got the AKG K 701's....and I'm dying already to get the HD650's already.

Already? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Here's a question. I haven't read all this thread but I'm just wondering, since you're getting both 701 and 650, why you would want diametrically opposite headphones in your arsenal. Is there such a huge variation in recordings? There isn't in my collection. 650s suit me just fine and the only adjustment I make is to add a touch of treble occasionally (I use an Onkyo 9555 integrated).  

Of course this question could be addressed to a lot of head-Fiers. If anyone else with two very different phones wants to answer feel free.

Feb 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #77 of 80

Quote:
Of course this question could be addressed to a lot of head-Fiers. If anyone else with two very different phones wants to answer feel free

I have two very different cans in the HD650 and MS-1i. The HD650 is my go to pair as I find it wonderful for most things I throw at it. I listen to a variety of genres, but lately rediscovering Radiohead's collection, Cat Power, Regina Spektor, Sufjan Stevens, James Blake, some dubstep and the usual mainstream stuff in Kanye, Big Boi and Cee Lo Green.

I find the HD650 a versatile headphone and feel it's a gross overstatement when people highlight its apparent deficiencies with certain genres. It's often parroted around here that it's not energetic enough for rock, or is lacking in bass for hip-hop or electronic music but to me that says more about the person making the comment. Often it's someone who hasn't even heard the HD650 and is just regurgitating a myth, or it's someone who has become so anal about the sound that enjoyment of the music has gone entirely out the window. These people are not to be trusted.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I listen to my MS-1i occasionally and whilst it does have a liveliness (particularly with rock) that the HD650 doesn't match, it does not in any way negate the HD650's own presentation of rock music. It's different, but it's full bodied, textured and just as engaging.

Uh.... I thought I had a point, but I guess not. Whatever. Submit.

Feb 26, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #78 of 80
Well I've had my AKG's for 2 months, and I want to have a different flavour for my music, so to speak. The looks and trippy sound stage is good enough to make these a keeper for me.

Honestly, I want to have a few pair of headphones, simply because I've always been into headphones and good audio gear. After the HD650's, I want the T1's. If any of these headphones, I feel make some of my favorite music in the world sound perfect to me, then that's good enough of a reason to keep them.

So far, Johnny Cash alone is enough of a reason to keep the 701's forever.

Plus, I can think of a lot more stupid ways I've spent $250 before.

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #80 of 80
Nice to stumble back on this thread and remember my first main setup fondly that I linked pictures of just a few posts up.

I just ordered a Woo Audio WA22 balanced tube amp for use with my Audio-gd NFB-10WM balanced DAC. Still using HD 650 with balanced Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable two years later and its still scaling great will all equipment I have used since then. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back