New Sennheiser HD650's and this amp?
Jul 26, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #16 of 80
Thank you maltar7 and kostalex for getting back to me.

Well my headphones arrived this morning. Holy cow....the difference is huge between my iPod and receiver! I can only imagine what separate components would sound like. I'm hearing finger snaps, snares and other things that I've never heard! The sound coming from my receiver is fantastic, but now I have that itch to hear what they sound like on a dedicated amp.

So the options you guys gave me of amps is it just going to come down to personal preference or is one the top dog? Only reason I ask is because of the two options maltar7 gave me one looks extremely small and the other looks like it would fit in my equipment rack. Then kostalex's option is somewhere inbetween the sizes. Does the size, weight, etc matter in these amps?

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #17 of 80
HDP is top dog for many, search for its reviews here.

Size does matter :) But many big amps are empty inside. HDP internals are packed tightly and power supply is separated from the main body. So it looks small, while sounds big.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #18 of 80

Quote:
Does the size, weight, etc matter in these amps?

These factors do not matter< ALOUGHT IF Portable is AN OPTION>

As which one is the top dog " i would suggets the http://www.mavaudio.com/base/product/tube_magic_a1/ or thehttp://amazon.nuforce-icon.com/NuForce-Icon-HDP-Highend-Headphone-Amp/M/B00370U0OG.htm?traffic_src=GB&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=GB&id=uk"

The choice is down to you, if you want portable then go with the Nuforce Icon HDP i persnoally would go with the Maverick Tube Magic A1 Hybrid Intergrated Amplifer as the  Nuforce Icon HDP seems as a portable option.

Whereas the Maverick Tube Magic A1 Hybrid Intergrated Amplifer seems more like a dedicated headphone amplifier.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #19 of 80
Size doesn't necessarily matter, nor does the price.

The main function of a HP amp is still to raise the volume of harder-to-drive headphones (such as your HD650) to listenable levels, and most amps available will do that with flying colors.  Some people will claim better synergy with certain amp/headphone setup over others; more often than not, the differences here are fairly subtle and often very much dependent on one's preferred sound signature.  If a $200 amp sounds solid, great; if a $600 one sounds better to you, awesome; if you end up preferring that $600 amp to some super $5k amp, nothing strange in that either.

I used the "ZERO DAC/Amp" for several years to drive my HD650; fantastic amp/dac combo for about $150 on ebay.  Not sure the ones available now are made by the same people, you may want to look up threads on that and the "Audio-GD" amps.  I also own a Woo Audio WA6 tube amp, which I personally don't feel make a huge difference, if any, versus the ZERO.  I've felt the same of most other high-end amps which I've been able to try at stores and meets.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #20 of 80
awesome, I have this EXACT same question, except I have the 51-FD instead of the 23-FD.  Saved me a post, and made me register.

I haven't pulled the trigger on the 650's yet.  Would people here recommend them for 360 gaming?  I use Astro a40's right now but they are it the shop, and it made me wonder about better cans.

I'll also be using the 650's for my Astro Mixamp for gaming, and for my macbook pro (2010) occasionally.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #21 of 80

Quote:
awesome, I have this EXACT same question, except I have the 51-FD instead of the 23-FD.  Saved me a post, and made me register.

I haven't pulled the trigger on the 650's yet.  Would people here recommend them for 360 gaming?  I use Astro a40's right now but they are it the shop, and it made me wonder about better cans.

I'll also be using the 650's for my Astro Mixamp for gaming, and for my macbook pro (2010) occasionally.

The 650s are much better than the astro.

I currently am buying the hd650 with a amp/dac.

you wont be disoponted.

The only thing is the astro mixamp wont be ablle to get the fill potentional out of the the 650s
, but this wont be a problam as you are using them for gaming.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #23 of 80
Hmm decisions, decisions??? I live in Orange County, California...does anyone know of a headphone shop in this area? Is guitar center the place to go? I would hate to buy an amp offline and really not like it. So i'd like to take my headphones and go preview some amps. I swear I'm not as stupid as all these questions make me sound haha, this whole headphone business is a new ballgame for me. I appreciate all your guys responses.

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #26 of 80
Yeah I'm loving my 650's. I've had them on non-stop since I got them. They are sounding better after every minute of use! Everything from the Eagles, Celine Dion, and Michael Jackson just sounded outstanding! I don't know if I want to go back to speakers now haha

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #27 of 80

Quote:
Hmm decisions, decisions??? I live in Orange County, California...does anyone know of a headphone shop in this area? Is guitar center the place to go? I would hate to buy an amp offline and really not like it. So i'd like to take my headphones and go preview some amps. I swear I'm not as stupid as all these questions make me sound haha, this whole headphone business is a new ballgame for me. I appreciate all your guys responses.

I guess you have a list of the amps you want to try right? 

Jul 27, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #28 of 80

Quote:
I guess you have a list of the amps you want to try right? 

Only the ones people have mention in this thread already. I wish I knew of a place that had all sorts of amps for me to try out because I just don't know what to expect from one. It would be nice to hear a variety of them from across the price sheet.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back