NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Mar 27, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #1,996 of 2,168
  Lyr2 is a little more flexible due to being able to roll tubes, Jot is a little on the bright side IMO, really bad with HD800, D700 and T1

The balanced cable thing is kept myself from buying Jotunheim. And the lyr2 gets hot for me it i a hassle to maintain tube, clean stuffs and its a chuck (both lyr and joty) that will take a lot of space of my desk.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #2,000 of 2,168
Hi there! 

I'm selling a pair of matched Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 made in Hungary. platinum grade. Completely new, unopened. Bought from upscaleaudio for $100. Ebay listing starts at $50 plus shipping :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/142337147223?

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #2,001 of 2,168

Yes, works great depending on the tubes.  Research less bright tubes.

JMTC,
r2

Thanks man! Time for tube rolling!
beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #2,002 of 2,168
I recently bought a LYR 2 and am enjoying the marvel that it is... I've tried the stock tubes and find that they don't work well with my HD650 headphones. The warmth/darkness of these headphones seems to be even more exaggerated. I then tried the LISST 'tubes' option which, after a few days, I found to be quite a lot better (personally). Perhaps I prefer a more neutral sound. They certainly toned down the HD650 warmth and brought out more incisive detail, particularly at the top and bottom ends, although there is less 'weight' to the sound overall. It is true that the stage is maybe not as deep nor quite as wide but I somehow prefer the more intimate presentation that the LISST provide. I mainly listen to acoustic and Jazz. I have considered further tube rolling to find the perfect combination for me but in reality I'm not sure I want to go down that road. Sourcing tubes also appears to be easier in the US than here in France. 

I have been thinking about changing the headphones as a next step and have been reading about the Focal Elear... According to what I've read, they are similar to the HD650 (which I like in principle) but with less of the so-called veil that the HD650's have but with a very good weighty and detailed bass.

I wonder whether anyone with a LYR 2 has tried these ? 

Alternatively, I have also considered moving to a Molijnir 2 with balanced connections. I've heard the HD650 respond/scale well to this. Any comments about this route would also be appreciated.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #2,003 of 2,168

Well I din't know if you have an opinion of Grado - but my GS2000e is the most satisfying can I've owned, and not only have I been driving it, and a PS1000e (sometimes just as awesome, more so in some ways), with Gungnir/Lyr2, but Grado develops their phones using Schiit equipment at many points in the process.

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #2,004 of 2,168

Well I din't know if you have an opinion of Grado - but my GS2000e is the most satisfying can I've owned, and not only have I been driving it, and a PS1000e (sometimes just as awesome, more so in some ways), with Gungnir/Lyr2, but Grado develops their phones using Schiit equipment at many points in the process.

Thank-you...no, I haven't previously owned or considered any Shure phones. They seem rather more expensive. If you'd asked me a year ago that I would be considering spending £800 on a pair of headphones I would have claimed insanity !! But...since I'm at that point now, it's certainly worth a look.

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #2,006 of 2,168
  The lyr 2 creates a decent sound when pairs with t90.

Thank-you...I've since read up about these. I feel that they may not be quite the leap in SQ from HD650 that I'm looking for. They do look easier to drive on the LYR2 vs the Beyer T1.2 tho'...which were the other phones I was considering...but at 600ohm I'm thinking the LYR2 may not have enough power headroom for them (would def need a MJ2 !). It's not that I want loud... but good transient reserve. Hence my leaning towards Focal Elear...altho it doesn't seem that there are many LYR2 owners with these to give their matching impressions. On paper they sound more like the HD650 which I'm used to.. but NOT AS warm.

EDIT:  I just learnt that the Beyer AMIRON is a replacement for the T90 and, on paper, may also suit me. Does anyone have any matching impressions of the AMIRON with the LYR2 ?

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #2,007 of 2,168
  Thank-you...I've since read up about these. I feel that they may not be quite the leap in SQ from HD650 that I'm looking for. They do look easier to drive on the LYR2 vs the Beyer T1.2 tho'...which were the other phones I was considering...but at 600ohm I'm thinking the LYR2 may not have enough power headroom for them (would def need a MJ2 !). It's not that I want loud... but good transient reserve. Hence my leaning towards Focal Elear...altho it doesn't seem that there are many LYR2 owners with these to give their matching impressions. On paper they sound more like the HD650 which I'm used to.. but NOT AS warm.

EDIT:  I just learnt that the Beyer AMIRON is a replacement for the T90 and, on paper, may also suit me. Does anyone have any matching impressions of the AMIRON with the LYR2 ?

Just a guess tho that the lyr2 is powerful enough for T1 since the volume knob for my 250Ω t90 is always in the 9 o'clock position which is already loud enough to blow my head. In the matter of matching, tubes are a huge factor on it. 

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #2,008 of 2,168

The T1g1 that I have get really loud at less than half volume with the Lyr2 but its not the best sounding for me, the BH Crack or Hugo are better paired with the T1 for me.

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #2,009 of 2,168
  The T1g1 that I have get really loud at less than half volume with the Lyr2 but its not the best sounding for me, the BH Crack or Hugo are better paired with the T1 for me.

Thank-you for your thoughts @DavidA ... I also suspect they are a bit too much of a departure from the sound type I prefer

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #2,010 of 2,168
  Thank-you for your thoughts @DavidA ... I also suspect they are a bit too much of a departure from the sound type I prefer

To move to a different sound signature from the HD650 my suggestions would be a HE560 (brighter, better sound stage, a bit more mid centric, deeper bass without the mid bass hump of the HD650) and more extended and smoother highs.  My other suggestions would be to see if you can find either a Ypsilon S2 or Nhoord Red v2 build, they are like the RS series Grado that use wood cups, much more dynamic with tighter bass and cleaner highs.  Look in my profile if you want to see pictures of the ones that I've built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back