NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Feb 11, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #1,561 of 2,168
Haha the Yggy is a bit too rich for my blood so the Gunby will have to do. My DAC right now is just really crippling my whole system and it was never all that great in the first place. Can't wait to go the next level with my collection!

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #1,562 of 2,168
Haha the Yggy is a bit too rich for my blood so the Gunby will have to do. My DAC right now is just really crippling my whole system and it was never all that great in the first place. Can't wait to go the next level with my collection!

The Gumby is also a great DAC. I use it in my tv room, hooked up to my Liquid Crimson or MJOLNIR 2. J hope your systems always puts a big old smile on your face.

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #1,565 of 2,168
LIFE! LIFE is what the Gungnir has brought to my setup. It's like my LCD-2 has finally gotten it's chance to show it's stuff in my setup. Oh this is going to be a fun weekend. Next up on my list? Tube rolling....I'm scared lol.

Feb 13, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #1,566 of 2,168
  LIFE! LIFE is what the Gungnir has brought to my setup. It's like my LCD-2 has finally gotten it's chance to show it's stuff in my setup. Oh this is going to be a fun weekend. Next up on my list? Tube rolling....I'm scared lol.

So's your wallet.

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #1,567 of 2,168
Just wanted to hear your humble opinion.

I'm using the HE-560 and I wanted to buy the Lyr 2 and the Bimby as a DAC but I'm quite concerned about the heat. From what I've read so far, the Lyr 2 tends to get "bloody hot" and you could even burn your fingers. It gets quite warm in my room, even in Swiss winter up to 24°C. In summer, we do use AC, but I do not want to use it, just to cool my amp.

Do you think I should rather purchase another amp?

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #1,568 of 2,168
Just wanted to hear your humble opinion.

I'm using the HE-560 and I wanted to buy the Lyr 2 and the Bimby as a DAC but I'm quite concerned about the heat. From what I've read so far, the Lyr 2 tends to get "bloody hot" and you could even burn your fingers. It gets quite warm in my room, even in Swiss winter up to 24°C. In summer, we do use AC, but I do not want to use it, just to cool my amp.

Do you think I should rather purchase another amp?

Yes it does get hot, I have a 140mm usb powered fan blowing over my Lyr2, Ember and BH Crack.  I'm of the thought that with electronics you keep them as cool as possible for the longest life.
Living in Hawaii does not help also
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #1,569 of 2,168
I've a bimby with a lyr 2 stacked on top. Gets hot but no bother.

Tubes sound best when warmed up anyway. Switch mine on Friday eve and leave it on until Sunday eve.
Would be happy to leave it on 24/7 if it wasn't for tube life.

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #1,570 of 2,168
It gets warm, but hot is an overstatement. Am able to put my hand on it even after running it for hours. Would not touch the tubes since they are running warmer and bare touching of tubes reduces life expectancy anyway. Also putting the lyr in a closed cabinet would not be a good plan.

As long as you run the stack and allow enough airflow you should be fine.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #1,571 of 2,168
Lyr 2 gets very warm after a good 30-45 mins, but never hot to the point where you can't touch it. Different tubes also tend to run at slightly different temps. I would also leave it on 24/7 if tube life wasn't a concern.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #1,572 of 2,168
I can surely touch it and do all the time. It just certainly aint comfortable lol. Also the tubes (at least the tops) are the coolest parts.

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #1,575 of 2,168

PM rb2013 to see if he has anything for you. If you check my profile, I have three pairs of Russian tubes I bought from him, all varying prices, cheapest being the '71 Voskhod. The $10 per pair RCAs are also a good start, IMO.

The stock tubes are okay, but I don't plan on going back to them.

I've asked related questions in the past and here's a post where I quoted a bunch of members' responses: http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/8355#post_12230307

Hope it helps...

Many thanks for that link.

I did a lot of reading in there and, importantly, saw what was available in Australia (where my friend is coming from - by now I guess you've realised India doesn't have much for headphone lovers). I settled on the Genalex Gold Lion 6922 E88CC. It worked out to the equivalent of USD 90. I have no idea about tube rolling (any instructions / videos?) but almost every review I read about the Lyr / Lyr 2 highly recommended getting a fresh pair of tubes, so I thought, why not :)

Will write back in about a month with impressions - definitely hope it does something for me since the Deckard didn't :D
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back