NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Feb 28, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #1,591 of 2,168

I'm just considering them, but since I'm not sure which I'll pick (I will borrow them after I have the rest), I'd need DAC and AMP good enough for all of them.

My story: Had bifrost/lyr2 and then moved up to gumby/mj2 and then to yggy/mj2.

With what I know now, and with the phones you are targeting, I would move up one layer to gumby/mj2.

Feb 28, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #1,593 of 2,168
  Hi, I'm considering to buy Bifrost with Lyr 2 and I would need to know if this combo is good enough for these headphones: Audeze LCD-X, Mrspeakers Ether, Hifiman Edition X and Sennheiser HD800S. Thank you

Bifrost/Lyr2 for LCD-X and Ether is okay as they are fairly efficient headphones, I didn't care for the Ether and actually liked the LCD-2 & 3 better than the LCD-X when I heard them at my friends place a few months ago, all were driven by Master9 and Liquid Glass/Gold

Haven't heard a Edition X so can't say if B/L2 will work

If the HD-800S is like the HD-800 then I wouldn't get the Lyr2, a BH Crack does a better job to me.

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #1,594 of 2,168
Just an update after trying out those Philips tubes with the Lyr 2 compared to Orange Globes and Amperex ECC88, I am liking the Philips over the others since it seems to sound so much more natural (Listening with HD 600s).  I think the other two tubes still actually sounded amazing, I might be leaning more towards the Amperex ECC88s if I had to pick one of the two but it's very close for me.  I just love the warm sound from the Philips.  I wanted to try all these with my HD 650's originally, but having brand new drivers, accidentally knocking them off my 4ft desk and onto the carpet was enough to screw up my right driver.  Go figure...  At least spares are easy to get for those.

Mar 5, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #1,595 of 2,168

And is there significant difference between gumby/mj2 and yggy/mj2 ?

Significant for me was moving from bifrost uber to gumby. Is the gumby to yggy significant? No. Noticable? Yes.

On an economic scale is it "justifiable" to spend the coin. For me, yes. Yggy has more resolution. Both are very musical, and enjoyable to listen too.

If bifrost uber was a 4, gumby is an 8.5. Yggy is a 10.

In the context of this thread, the Lyr 2 is a very nice hybrid amp. I like it's sound profile that the tubes provide. When I had it paired to my HD650's it made them sing quite well. (I still have it as it will be paired to gumby as a secondary rig)

When I read about the new Schiit gear that they were bringing out, and multibit was being added to their other DAC's, and that the revised MJ2 was now a tube hybrid, I decided to move to gumby and MJ2 as they are both balanced. I could use the glass I had from the Lyr which was also a driving factor.

Everything I read was that both were better. Everything that was stated was correct. It was significantly better. I had never thought that a redbook CD could sound this way, and that being the case, I had to try Yggy. I did and I like it.

The question was asked previously about a series of cans, and could the lyr2 drive them. Yes it can. But at the level of those cans, it could become a limiting factor.

I recently added the Ether C to my collection. Its sound profile is along the lines of the HD-650 which I like allot. After getting them broke in, and listening quite abit, I started to get the idea that they were not really that much better then the 650's. So, I went back and listened to the 650's.

Bad idea. Not even close. The sound profile was there. Yes. But they could not compete on clarity and bring out the high and low details that the mj2/yggy was feeding it. I now have to find an open can to replace them.

Thus my point; if your thinking of moving up the chain in regards to cans, then think about the chain feeding them. Spend as much, or more on a good DAC to feed your amp.

Heres a different twist on the above. Everything posted on these forums is about listening to music. And everything here is geared to reproduce music so you can hear and enjoy. You need to decide what level of detail you need for the music you listen to.

If you only listen to say, hiphop, then I really see no reason to go mid to high end on anything. The music is usually highly compressed, and mixed to be loud. Get a bassy can, high powerd amp, and a basic DAC and call it a day. If you want to, or have other genre's like jazz, or classical and want to hear the person breathing as they play a flute, or hear the persons fingers on the frets of an accoustical guitar, then you will want the higher end cans, and you will want them fed with a good signal. I have moved to the ladder. I am hearing new details in some of my music that I have had from the late 80's when I converted to CD's. (ya, I'm that old) It's a weird experience listening to something that you thought you really knew, but didn't. 

Mar 6, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #1,596 of 2,168

Significant for me was moving from bifrost uber to gumby. Is the gumby to yggy significant? No. Noticable? Yes.

On an economic scale is it "justifiable" to spend the coin. For me, yes. Yggy has more resolution. Both are very musical, and enjoyable to listen too.

If bifrost uber was a 4, gumby is an 8.5. Yggy is a 10.

In the context of this thread, the Lyr 2 is a very nice hybrid amp. I like it's sound profile that the tubes provide. When I had it paired to my HD650's it made them sing quite well. (I still have it as it will be paired to gumby as a secondary rig)

When I read about the new Schiit gear that they were bringing out, and multibit was being added to their other DAC's, and that the revised MJ2 was now a tube hybrid, I decided to move to gumby and MJ2 as they are both balanced. I could use the glass I had from the Lyr which was also a driving factor.

Everything I read was that both were better. Everything that was stated was correct. It was significantly better. I had never thought that a redbook CD could sound this way, and that being the case, I had to try Yggy. I did and I like it.

The question was asked previously about a series of cans, and could the lyr2 drive them. Yes it can. But at the level of those cans, it could become a limiting factor.

I recently added the Ether C to my collection. Its sound profile is along the lines of the HD-650 which I like allot. After getting them broke in, and listening quite abit, I started to get the idea that they were not really that much better then the 650's. So, I went back and listened to the 650's.

Bad idea. Not even close. The sound profile was there. Yes. But they could not compete on clarity and bring out the high and low details that the mj2/yggy was feeding it. I now have to find an open can to replace them.

Thus my point; if your thinking of moving up the chain in regards to cans, then think about the chain feeding them. Spend as much, or more on a good DAC to feed your amp.

Heres a different twist on the above. Everything posted on these forums is about listening to music. And everything here is geared to reproduce music so you can hear and enjoy. You need to decide what level of detail you need for the music you listen to.

If you only listen to say, hiphop, then I really see no reason to go mid to high end on anything. The music is usually highly compressed, and mixed to be loud. Get a bassy can, high powerd amp, and a basic DAC and call it a day. If you want to, or have other genre's like jazz, or classical and want to hear the person breathing as they play a flute, or hear the persons fingers on the frets of an accoustical guitar, then you will want the higher end cans, and you will want them fed with a good signal. I have moved to the ladder. I am hearing new details in some of my music that I have had from the late 80's when I converted to CD's. (ya, I'm that old) It's a weird experience listening to something that you thought you really knew, but didn't. 

I tried both Mj2 SE and Lyr 2 and i couldn't notice any difference in sound tbh. In fact, I could give a slight edge to Lyr 2 for being more powerful than MJ2 SE output. I'd like to hear your impressions as well between two.

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #1,597 of 2,168
Lyr2 SE is more powerful than MJ2 SE.

But I run all balanced now in my primary rig as it is better. It provides better power & clarity to feed my Ether C's.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #1,598 of 2,168
Should I consider purchasing the Lyr 2 if I don't plan to swap tubes? 

I'm looking for transparent, neutral, dynamic, punchy. Not colored.

Would the Lyr 2 w/ LISST be better than the Asgard 2 for what I'm looking for?

Thanks.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #1,599 of 2,168

Thanks.
lyr2 with lsst has much more power than the Asgard so that's a nice pro

I'm listening to stock tubes and they re really nice and pretty neutral

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #1,600 of 2,168
I have an Asgard (v 1 - with the upgrades), and I find it to be very neutral.
I had a Lyr on loan for a while (v 1 - with glass tubes), and I found it to be quite "tubey".
I think you will find that the Lyr II, even with "solid state tubes", will sound more tubey than the Asgard.
Therefore, if you really want neutral, I think I'd go with the Asgard.

And, unless you've got especially difficult to drive phones, you don't NEED much power at all to do the job very well.
(Power only counts if you really don't have enough - in which case it's a problem.)

Quote:

Thanks.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #1,601 of 2,168

Thanks.

Probably not since the Lyr2 will still have some of the tube architecture still in place even with the LISST tubes while the Asgard2 has only SS.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #1,603 of 2,168
lyr2 with lsst has much more power than the Asgard so that's a nice pro

I'm listening to stock tubes and they re really nice and pretty neutral

SS Lyr 2 seems pretty pointless, unless you're trying to power the HE6. If you've got a really neutral system and you want to add a tube layer, it might make sense... However, I'm not sure the stock 6bz7's deviate much from "neutrality." I'm running JJ E88CC's, and I think they're more what I imagined for a tube sound.

Edit: Lyr 1 originally shipped with the JJ's as an option, so that may be what Keith is talking about.

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #1,604 of 2,168
Looks like I'll cross the Lyr 2 off the list. Instead I'll consider the Asgard 2, and a few others such as the Lake People G109P, and Grace M9XX.

Thanks for the help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back