NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Aug 15, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #1,322 of 2,168
LISST "TUBES" by Schiit --solid state tubes. transforms lyr 2 into a solid state amp. Sounds interesting. 
Definitely sounds worth purchasing.
http://schiit.com/products/lisst-tubes

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #1,325 of 2,168

Anyone try these?

On order.  Unless someone bought them at the show and took them home no one is going to have a review yet unless they were the ones used at the show which is less than ideal conditions to rate a product.  There are probably LOTS that are going out Monday, the Schiit office is gonna be busy with orders most likely.  If mine ship Monday I should get them Wednesday so reviews should start showing up around the end of the week or next week.

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #1,326 of 2,168

On order.  Unless someone bought them at the show and took them home no one is going to have a review yet unless they were the ones used at the show which is less than ideal conditions to rate a product.  There are probably LOTS that are going out Monday, the Schiit office is gonna be busy with orders most likely.  If mine ship Monday I should get them Wednesday so reviews should start showing up around the end of the week or next week.

Can't wait for your impressions, could you also note what tubes you are comparing them to?

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #1,327 of 2,168
Recently obtained a Lyr 2 to drive my Beyerdynamic 250 Ohm headphones, but was really surprised that I had to turn the volume up to 75+% of full on classical pieces. I was expecting considerable more headroom. What if i had the 600ohm cans, for instance? I'm feeding the amp through a DAC connected to my macbook pro running amarra  with Flac files. Any thoughts? Thanks. 

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #1,328 of 2,168
Recently obtained a Lyr 2 to drive my Beyerdynamic 250 Ohm headphones, but was really surprised that I had to turn the volume up to 75+% of full on classical pieces. I was expecting considerable more headroom. What if i had the 600ohm cans, for instance? I'm feeding the amp through a DAC connected to my macbook pro running amarra  with Flac files. Any thoughts? Thanks. 

Is your gain switch on the correct setting?

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #1,330 of 2,168
What is the computer volume at?  I am running a Lyr 2 in low gain into a pair of Senn. HD800's at 300 Ohms and I cannot get over 12 o'clock without it being incredibly loud.  On high gain I sit around 9 to 10 o'clock.

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #1,331 of 2,168
What is the computer volume at?  I am running a Lyr 2 in low gain into a pair of Senn. HD800's at 300 Ohms and I cannot get over 12 o'clock without it being incredibly loud.  On high gain I sit around 9 to 10 o'clock.

Am I mistaken to think that the computer volume control is disabled when plugged into a DAC via usb? I'll look into this when I get home. Thanks.

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #1,333 of 2,168
On most systems you would be incorrect.  If I change the computer volume with my Modi plugged in it still controls the volume accordingly.

Exactly. It can also depend on the configuration of the computer USB interface and the player used. That has be the problem. I have the original Lyr and anything over 12-1 o'clock is very loud with almost all of my headphones. This includes my Beyerdynamic DT150s (250 ohms).

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #1,334 of 2,168
So I just checked, and yes indeed my volume does get disabled on my Macbook when i connect to the Bitfrost and/or Hrt Music Streamer via USB. IN any case, on most music i'm fine around the noon to 1pm spot, but with classical i'm able to push it much further past 75% (even during musical peaks). This is not common I gather? 

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #1,335 of 2,168
  So I just checked, and yes indeed my volume does get disabled on my Macbook when i connect to the Bitfrost and/or Hrt Music Streamer via USB. IN any case, on most music i'm fine around the noon to 1pm spot, but with classical i'm able to push it much further past 75% (even during musical peaks). This is not common I gather? 

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Windows here so cannot comment on possible settings to pursue on the Mac.  Do you have another source other than the Mac to try things with?  Another computer, a Blu ray player with optical into the Bifrost optical, or even an Ipod ran into the Lyr would start to narrow down what is going on.  Only other thing off the top of my head is does your player have a volume control like itunes or does it lock that out as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back