New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 10, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #1,606 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually think the Shure E500 is a great choice, since it's a little mellow, and the D1 (as supplied with stock op-amps) is a little bright. E500's can be had on EBay brand new with warranty for $250.

I agree - my SE500's and the D1 have great synergy when used together, especially when using the DAC section with the amp.

Oct 10, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #1,607 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tomorrow I am scheduled to receive the replacement D1 from iBasso. For those that do not remember it will replace the one I have had since 9/4 and on which the blue light on the front panel stoped working before the 12 hour mark. Excellent customer service by iBasso.
icon10.gif

The funny/sad thing is that the blue light started working today on its own. ??? Besides a gremlin, any idea why a light that went out a week ago just started working w/o any work done to it? I mean I feel bad that iBasso spent money to send me a new D1 and the one I have starts working on its own 24 hours before the arrival of its replacement.
frown.gif
Thanks.

I have this problem as well, and while ibasso is sending a replacement, I have to pay for the shipping one way (they've graciously offered to pay the other side*cough*) Not terribly happy about that, given that it supposedly has a one year warranty. The first email they sent expressed doubt over whether the issue was covered at all, since it worked when I first got it.

Quote:

I am sorry to hear that. We only send replacement to the D1 owner if the D1 is
DOA or break down within the first upon arrival. I am going to ask my boss for
the solution for you case.
Also, D1 is out of stock right now.
I will get back to you later.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

While they did eventually decide to replace it, I think I'm going to be holding off on any opamp rolling until I'm sure there are no little gremlins with this one. Is it typical to have to cover shipping on new things still under warranty?

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #1,608 of 2,626
The blue light on first D1 I had never came on, and they sent a replacement D1.

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #1,609 of 2,626
Well, it is my assumption that you always have to pay the shipping cost to send your item back, even when under warranty. This said, you should consider yourselves pretty lucky. I can't see many companies sending a replacement before having received the faulty machine.

In my case (my battery died), I'm first having to send the D1 back, which will leave me without amplification until they receive the unit, repair it and send it back. I forecast a long month...
mad.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #1,610 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by globiboulga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it is my assumption that you always have to pay the shipping cost to send your item back, even when under warranty.

My D1 was faulty when I received it and they have said that they will remiburse me for shiipping the first D1 back to them. The relevant bit of their email said After you send it out, please let me know the shipping cost, I will refund immediately. Thank you for your cooperation and sorry for the inconveniences.

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #1,611 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by globiboulga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it is my assumption that you always have to pay the shipping cost to send your item back, even when under warranty. This said, you should consider yourselves pretty lucky. I can't see many companies sending a replacement before having received the faulty machine.

In my case (my battery died), I'm first having to send the D1 back, which will leave me without amplification until they receive the unit, repair it and send it back. I forecast a long month...
mad.gif

Well, if that's typical, then so be it. I do want to say it's a phenomenal sounding amp, highly detailed, if a bit bright as noted, but incredible, almost holographic soundstage.

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #1,612 of 2,626
My experience except for my Mac PowerBook, which I paid for the 3 year warranty and shipping is included in that warranty, is that you always have to pay for shipping to the manufacture and they pay the shipping back. Try some heavy amps for home use that may cost 100 plus dollars for shipping and the wallet really starts to scream.

Oct 11, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #1,613 of 2,626
I received an email from iBasso this morning. They expect to start selling the newest D1 in early November. They have started a "I want the newest one" list and as soon as they become available, they will email the folks on the list in order and have them make the purchase. I got my name on there. Sure it is just an opamp change, but I'd like to NOT modify mine right away when I get it. If you want on the list, just send them an email!!!

Dave

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #1,614 of 2,626
In the ongoing but elusive search for musical perfection the rolling continues!

The following configuration is probably one of my personal favorites:

LTC6241HV L/R
LMH6643 Buffers
LMH6643 DAC

All 3 are SOIC and need adapters.

For those who might be interested in additional details, please PM or Email me.

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #1,616 of 2,626
So guys, has anyone found the most "WOW" opamps combination?
I'm still searching for the most warm, relaxing and less bright opamps -_-

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #1,617 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer010gic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does it compare to the OPA2111/AD8397/AD8656 combo? Also which has higher output. I don't care about battery life.

Second that. Is it worth the trouble if battery life is not an issue.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #1,618 of 2,626
Sorry to get a little off topic (and forgive me if this has already been asked), but is there anything else that offers what the D1 does? By this I mean a pretty good amp section, with USB, Coax, and optical inputs? Doesn't have to be portable (transportable would be nice though). I know there's the DAC1 and other things up in that price range, but anything (else) in $200-500 range that does?

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #1,619 of 2,626
The only other ones I know of is the Apogee mini dac at $895 and several of the HeadRoom units at various price points

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #1,620 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received an email from iBasso this morning. They expect to start selling the newest D1 in early November. They have started a "I want the newest one" list and as soon as they become available, they will email the folks on the list in order and have them make the purchase. I got my name on there. Sure it is just an opamp change, but I'd like to NOT modify mine right away when I get it. If you want on the list, just send them an email!!!

Dave

So... just e-mail them about it ask to be put on the list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back