New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 13, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #1,636 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuheng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just wondering, no body try to put 4562 as DAC/AMP opamp rather than just buffer..
biggrin.gif

Yes, I have tried it and it works OK, but IMO there are better choices for the DAC, such as the AD8656, LT6234, LMH6643. All are more lifelike with better imaging.

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #1,637 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster_Omelette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any good DIP opamps for the DAC of the D1? Just wondering since I have no experience soldering anything and I don't have a proper working space to do that kind of stuff.

Yes, check PM.

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #1,638 of 2,626
It has been enjoyable searching for opamps that can further improve the performance of the very versatile D1, but at this point, I have run thru many different opamps, some of which improve the sound, other which do not.

I have about exhausted the possiblilities and resources that I have readily available, and have listed in previous posts those that, in my opinion, are worthwhile improvements.

As many have pointed out, my somewhat *fickle* choice of favorites has changed from time to time as I have tried new opamps and combinations of different opamps. One thing that I have discovered is that there is NO one combination that will please all ears. Any of the listed opamps or combinations of listed opamps sound good. There are no bad choices. Some are warmer than others, some more detailed and analytical, some more tube-like.

My first consideration has always been sound quality, of which imaging and soundstage play a very important role. I also consider availability, and current draw, as for many, battery life is an important consideration.

Also, if one is interested in comparing several different opamp combinations, cost is also a factor.

I will more than likely not be trying any new devices, as I have not been able to find any meeting the above criteria that show more potential than the ones listed. I have not made any attempts to use single-channel opamps mounted on Dual to Single adapters due the costs involved and the limited space available on the D1 circuit board.

Perhaps this is an area that someone else could pursue, as there are a lot of good single-channel devices available that undoubtedly would work well in the D1, presuming adequate space is available for mounting.

I currently have 10 different opamps that I feel significantly improve the sound of the D1, and will, perhaps, play with with some new combinations of these 10 if I manage to catch up with my soldering and mounting projects.

I think that many of the opamp combinations that I have discussed previously probably approach the limits of what rolling opamps can accomplish in the D1.

Although I have replaced the LR coupling caps with Blackgates in my D1, it is not my intent to continue further modifications of the circuit board, as it does require a measure of skill to avoid damage and will void the D1 warranty. I feel that significant improvement in performance can be realized without the necessity to accomplish risky modifications.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from this type of modification, but just want to make it clear that it is should be approached with much caution and one should be willing to accept the possibility of disaster!

IMO, the D1 with some of these simple opamp updates is capable of matching or exceeding the sonic performance of many highly-regarded amps that cost significantly more money while also offering a number of input/output options that few other amps can match at any price.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #1,639 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster_Omelette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any good DIP opamps for the DAC of the D1? Just wondering since I have no experience soldering anything and I don't have a proper working space to do that kind of stuff.

Do you mind sharing your answers when you find them out? I am in a similar situation.

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #1,642 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well done, Ron, it's truly a fascinating journey that you and John (kudos also to Miguel) have embarked upon and a real inspiration for those of us looking to cruise along in your wake!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dex...
Yes, it has been a fun venture! I am pleased that iBasso has chosen to correspond back and forth as things have progressed. They are truly interested in improving an already fine amp. They have some ideas in the works that will be very innovative. More in due time!

Unfortunately, they are hampered in their efforts by the difficulty in getting quality parts, such as opamps, caps, etc. What we take for granted is very hard for them.

I have much enjoyed the feedback from those who have tried some of the different configurations that we have discussed in the forum. So far, I have heard from no one who has been dissatisfied with the results of their opamp changes.

When I began experimenting with the D1, I had LOTS of opamps on hand from my years of playing with my Xin amps. Some of them worked well in the D1, some didn't, but at least I had a starting point and was fairly familiar with the characteristics of quite a few different opamps so it was a natural evolution to try to improve the D1.

I can't think of a more enjoyable way to waste endless hours that could probably be utilized more productively!!!!!

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #1,643 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well done, Ron, it's truly a fascinating journey that you and John (kudos also to Miguel) have embarked upon and a real inspiration for those of us looking to cruise along in your wake!
smily_headphones1.gif

John (Jamato8) and I correspond regularly, comparing notes, etc. John is VERY skilled at accomplishing quite extensive circuit modifications utilizing his in-depth knowledge and electronic experience with capacitors and other hardware devices. His modifications always seem to improve the performance of the stock circuit design.

His input has been invaluable both on and off forum. I only wish we were neighbors!

Miguel (Mrarroyo) is personally familiar with a vast number of amplifiers and their capabilities as well as limitations. He has probably owned more audio equipment than I could count. It is always fun to get together with him and attempt to defend our own choices of amp configurations! We also correspond regularly.

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #1,645 of 2,626
How does the output of the

LTC6241HV L/R
LMH6643 Buffers
LMH6643 DAC

Compare to the

OPA2111 L/R
AD8397 Buffers
AD8656 DAC

I know its subjective but how is the sound stage and imaging? Also how is the output? With the second combo I was able to get very good hard hitting bass with exceptional volume out of my HD650s. Any other pros and cons when comparing them.

Corey

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #1,646 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer010gic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the output of the

LTC6241HV L/R
LMH6643 Buffers
LMH6643 DAC

Compare to the

OPA2111 L/R
AD8397 Buffers
AD8656 DAC

I know its subjective but how is the sound stage and imaging? Also how is the output? With the second combo I was able to get very good hard hitting bass with exceptional volume out of my HD650s. Any other pros and cons when comparing them.

Corey

The LMH6643 buffers have less impact than the AD8397, and are a little smoother and warmer. IMO, they work very nicely for classical and jazz,
whereas the 8397s do a really good job on rock. They also output the most current, although the LMH6643 provide more than enough volume for my HD650s, especially when using the DAC or optical input.

The LTC6241HV is a very tube-like sound, with smooth highs and natural bass that doesn't jump at you, but is there when it is supposed to be.
Very easy to listen to.

The OPA2111 has the largest soundstage, and is an all-around good performer.

The AD746 also has a very wide, deep soundstage with very accurate imaging. A very precise and accurate amplifier. It is the only one that gives a true feeling of the sound being wider than the head. It is a great opamp for classical.

They are all very good performers, I would hate to have to pick the "best". They are among the best that I have found. If one likes presence and great detail, the LT6234 and ADA4841-2 are also very good choices that have very low noise and extremely low current draw.

Decisions..decisions!!! It is difficult to describe sound character of an opamp verbally, but maybe these descriptions will be of some help.

Oct 14, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #1,647 of 2,626
Do you think that this combo would be good for Rock and have any advantages over the OPA2111.

AD746 L/R
AD8397 Buffers
AD8656 DAC

Also what difference does there exist with the AD8656 vs LMH6643 as a DAC chip.

Oct 14, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #1,648 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer010gic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think that this combo would be good for Rock and have any advantages over the OPA2111.

AD746 L/R
AD8397 Buffers
AD8656 DAC

Also what difference does there exist with the AD8656 vs LMH6643 as a DAC chip.

I think that would be a very good rock combination. The LMH6643 has a faster slew rate which is good for transient response and outputs more power than the 8656. Current draw is also about a third less for the 6643.

Oct 14, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #1,649 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that would be a very good rock combination. The LMH6643 has a faster slew rate which is good for transient response and outputs more power than the 8656. Current draw is also about a third less for the 6643.

What's the sound signature of the AD746?

Oct 14, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #1,650 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the sound signature of the AD746?

Like stated by HiFlight above but with some disagreement. It's very neutral in tonality. Has a "true" soundstage to my ears. On the bad side it lacks some energy and details and in the long run I found it a bit boring. This is the dual version of AD744. AD744 can be connected "compensation pin out", i.e. the internal buffer stage is bypassed and the opamp runs classA. This improves the sound quality, and it becomes more energetic and detailed. You can use two AD744's on a BrownDog adapter. This opamp is used in LISAIII - "the best portable ever". This could also be "the final" opamp of choice in D1
wink.gif

Hasn't the DAC in D1 balanced outputs? When are we going to see a balanced D1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back