New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 14, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #1,666 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, I listen to a lot of classical music and would like to know if the D1 adds any static or hiss to the recording when using a sensitive IEM. Does anyone use the D1 with the E500 and classical music? When you plug in the IEM without a source connected, is there any audible hiss?

I don't think the D1 has a low gain option, and the default gain is 6dB, so I am worried it will cause a lot of static.

I have tried most all of the latest opamp combos with my Westone UM2, ER4P/S, and Atrios. None of them have exhibited any audible hiss or noise.

It is a very quiet amp.

Oct 14, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #1,667 of 2,626
You can get the toslink to mini optical adapter at

www.sysconcept.ca (or is it sysconcepts)

They have that same adapter, and make high quality custom cables built to length and tip request. But as Ron says, that is a digital optical tip, not analog.

Oct 15, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #1,668 of 2,626
Can D1 be used as DAC/Pre-amp combo, connecting to a power-amp, in a home setup? Does it perform well? Thanks in advance.

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #1,669 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by paladinca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can D1 be used as DAC/Pre-amp combo, connecting to a power-amp, in a home setup? Does it perform well? Thanks in advance.

Yes, the D1 does have that ability. Whether it performs well is a pretty subjective thing - but I'd say that for the money it would be hard to beat.

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #1,671 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If i have a noisy usb on my laptop will it also create noise on the D1 output??? or is it good enough to somehow filter those noise?

No, I imagine you will find the noisy usb is the weak link in the chain.

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #1,672 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I imagine you will find the noisy usb is the weak link in the chain.

Sorry abit confused there.
So an external DAC like the Ibasso D1 will not save me from internal noise of my laptop?

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #1,673 of 2,626
Quote:

Sorry abit confused there.
So an external DAC like the Ibasso D1 will not save me from internal noise of my laptop?

I do not believe so. In IT we have a saying Garbage In, Garbage out and I believe it would apply in this case. A noisy digital signal is just going to be converted to noisy analog that is then amplified to wind up as amplified noise.

If you know somebody that has a D1 I'd try one first if noisy output from your USB is a deal breaker. The other alternative is to replace the laptop/get it fixed.

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #1,674 of 2,626
Quote:

I do not believe so. In IT we have a saying Garbage In, Garbage out and I believe it would apply in this case. A noisy digital signal is just going to be converted to noisy analog that is then amplified to wind up as amplified noise.

If you know somebody that has a D1 I'd try one first if noisy output from your USB is a deal breaker. The other alternative is to replace the laptop/get it fixed.

There was a fair amout of discussion earlier in the thread regarding noisy outputs from laptops. IIRC, there was the suggestion that a hub might be beneficial. I think there was a solution that worked. I might be worth a search back thru the thread to find out what worked.

I didn't pay a great deal of attention to the details, as my laptop USB is fine, just the analog headphone output is of poor quality. My D1, however, sounds great from my PC USB.

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #1,675 of 2,626
Quote:

Uh... I don't think that's correct. The DAC part should take care of the noise. After all, it's just 1's and 0's streaming into the D1.

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #1,676 of 2,626
Quote:

Hmm yeah i'll see if i can try the ibasso D1 with my laptop in the Sydney meet this weekend.

Well from Skylabs thread about the D1 it seems like the D1 is at least less noisy than the MOVE with the USB input so it might not be that bad.

I have tried MOVE and it is pretty noisy on my laptop but not on my desktop but the weird thing is that TBAAM produces no noise even on my laptop's noisy usb.

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #1,677 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh... I don't think that's correct. The DAC part should take care of the noise. After all, it's just 1's and 0's streaming into the D1.

I assume that the OP has listened to another USB output device to determine the USB is noisy otherwise how would one arrive at that conclusion? Something is injecting noise that the DAC conversion is picking up and passing on. If the other USB device didn't clean up the noise what is going to make this DAC magically clean up the mess?

Like you say, its just one and zeros, so if there's garbage coming out, the garbage must have come in to begin with.

EDIT: as our replies overlap... Strange situation where the laptop is good and bad with different USB, and move is good and bad with different computers. Sounds like you will be lucky with the D1 or not. There's not a good handle on why things work sometimes and not others.

EDIT EDIT: I guess it is possible the USB is putting out fluctuating power as a underpowered digital device can generate strange behavior. So the signal could come it good but undervoltage to the DAC circuitry may cause it to stomp on the output. Does the TBAMM DAC run off the laptop USB voltage or does it use its own power?

If the laptop generates dirty power on USB, is it when its plugged into the wall or running on battery only, or both? Any other devices being powered by the USB that might be drawing power off the USB bus irregularly?

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #1,678 of 2,626
Quote:

I assume that the OP has listened to another USB output device to determine the USB is noisy otherwise how would one arrive at that conclusion? Something is injecting noise that the DAC conversion is picking up and passing on. If the other USB device didn't clean up the noise what is going to make this DAC magically clean up the mess?

Like you say, its just one and zeros, so if there's garbage coming out, the garbage must have come in to begin with.

EDIT: as our replies overlap... Strange situation where the laptop is good and bad with different USB, and move is good and bad with different computers. Sounds like you will be lucky with the D1 or not. There's not a good handle on why things work sometimes and not others.

Oh, okay. My mistake. I didn't know his USB sockets might be damaged.

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #1,679 of 2,626
Quote:

Hmm yeah i'll see if i can try the ibasso D1 with my laptop in the Sydney meet this weekend.

Well from Skylabs thread about the D1 it seems like the D1 is at least less noisy than the MOVE with the USB input so it might not be that bad.

I have tried MOVE and it is pretty noisy on my laptop but not on my desktop but the weird thing is that TBAAM produces no noise even on my laptop's noisy usb.

If your Turtle Beach filters the noise to your satisfaction, you could always run a mini-toslink cable from the TB optical out to the D1 optical in.

Oct 16, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #1,680 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your Turtle Beach filters the noise to your satisfaction, you could always run a mini-toslink cable from the TB optical out to the D1 optical in.

True, i can always do that.
My guess is that the ibasso D1 does not have this noise issue because it seems like no one in this thread complains about them
biggrin.gif
when compared to the MOVE thread where there are a few people who have this issue. Even Skylab mention about this issue as well with the MOVE in his DAC/AMP comparison thread.

Maybe its because the way the ibasso works (USB-> SPDIF->D/A receiver->DAC) when compared to the move where its DAC act as the usb receiver as well ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back