New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 17, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #1,697 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah its pretty much a constant pitch whining.
The only way for me to get rid of it is to turn off the laptops LCD. Changing the LCD brightness will also affect the pitch of this noise.

Its pretty low in volume so if i put on a music then chances are i cant hear it since it drowned out with the music unless when i'm hearing like a podcast or something which doesnt have instruments on its background.

That doesn't sound good at all. Have you tried one of the USB-mini connector with one of those cylindrical chokes (or whatever they are called) at the end to see if that would clean up the signal? I'll take a picture of one if you don't know what I mean.

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #1,698 of 2,626
Do you guys have a 470uf cap at c81?

I was comparing my D1 to the pics on the first page and I see minor differences in a few parts. (same design but looks like a few very minor parts are different).

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #1,699 of 2,626
Is there anyway to gut out the amp section for a clean signal to an external amp?

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #1,700 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anyway to gut out the amp section for a clean signal to an external amp?

Sure, just plug in a mini-mini cable into the Aux out/in and run it to your exterior amp. That will bypass the amp section. No need to chop it up.

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #1,701 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Ron, have you found that the LMH6643 works best for you in the DAC socket? Seems like it is after reading your earlier posts again.

I would not necessarily say that it works best, as several opamps work well in the DAC socket. Both the AD8656 and LT6234 work very well. There is nothing wrong with the LMH6643 either. Slight detail differences between them, as well as power requirements. The LT6234 has the lowest noise and lowest current draw, but specs don't always relate to sound.

I am currently using the LT6234 but switch back and forth when evaluating other opamp combos as they all work together as an entity. At this level of performance, it take a good ear to discern ANY difference between them, as the differences are in the nuances of the music.

I can't advise which would sound best to you. You need to try them and draw your own conclusions, based upon the type of music you enjoy and the phones you most often use.

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #1,702 of 2,626
I can't find the bass
frown.gif

I tried stock and then switched to opa2111 and lm4562 (buff).
Thought it was my h120 so I switched to usb..

No depth or punch. I can get my er4p thumping with rockbox EQ.

And I doubt new opamps (don't have yet) will change the bass dramatically.

If I can get any bass I will be a very happy camper.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #1,703 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That doesn't sound good at all. Have you tried one of the USB-mini connector with one of those cylindrical chokes (or whatever they are called) at the end to see if that would clean up the signal? I'll take a picture of one if you don't know what I mean.

I dont really know what that means but i did try it with another usb cable and its the same thing. Based on the MOVE thread this problem can be fixed by getting an external powered hub but to me that would just kill the portability even more. I'll just see if i can try an ibasso this weekend and check it myself if the problem is still there it doesnt really bother me since the volume is pretty low and its not really evident on a full size headphone but you can hear it clearly on an low impedance/sensitive earphones.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #1,704 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't find the bass
frown.gif

The opa2111 and lm4562 combo are not supposed to have very much punch. Those two are for wide soundstage and depth. The AD8397's buffer is punchier, and the AD8099 in LR. If you can't find the punch in the D1 in that config, you won't find punch in any amps IMO. I used to have a PPA which is a punchy amp, and the D1 delivers that bass punch with the above mentioned combo.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #1,705 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, just plug in a mini-mini cable into the Aux out/in and run it to your exterior amp. That will bypass the amp section. No need to chop it up.

Oh... so that means unlimited amp upgrade potential as long as the DAC can support it?

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #1,706 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The opa2111 and lm4562 combo are not supposed to have very much punch. Those two are for wide soundstage and depth. The AD8397's buffer is punchier, and the AD8099 in LR. If you can't find the punch in the D1 in that config, you won't find punch in any amps IMO. I used to have a PPA which is a punchy amp, and the D1 delivers that bass punch with the above mentioned combo.

Yeah, I have big soundstage and great detail. Treble extension is good too. Works nice for classical.

I have ad8397 next to me but I am waiting for some browndogs. Also hopefully the tubey opamps come in soon.

I replaced a couple caps so far (muse ES) and it seemed to give it a touch of warmth.

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #1,707 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont really know what that means but i did try it with another usb cable and its the same thing. Based on the MOVE thread this problem can be fixed by getting an external powered hub but to me that would just kill the portability even more. I'll just see if i can try an ibasso this weekend and check it myself if the problem is still there it doesnt really bother me since the volume is pretty low and its not really evident on a full size headphone but you can hear it clearly on an low impedance/sensitive earphones.

Searched for the product and they are called ferrite chokes. Sometimes they loop the cable around the ferrite core once or twice to improve it's functionality. Anyway, some USB cables have them built-in.

Here's a link with a snap-on ferrite choke for existing cables:
vendor ferrite choke

Wikipedia ferrite bead writeup

There's no guarantee it will work but you may get lucky and have it solve your problem.

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #1,708 of 2,626
Ron, could you describe the difference in sound characteristic between LMH6643 , LM4562, and the upgraded version of the LM4562 as buffers? Thanks.

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #1,709 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't find the bass
frown.gif

Where are you at on the burn-in? IME, bass starts to more fully form around 200 hours and continues to refine well past 400 hours.

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #1,710 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are you at on the burn-in? IME, bass starts to more fully form around 200 hours and continues to refine well past 400 hours.

I have it burning in right now
but so far I have about an hour on it.
plainface.gif

399 to go..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back