New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 18, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #1,726 of 2,626
Finally, today my LM4562 arrived... (after 1 month wait)
and awaiting for AD8656 from Ron
wink.gif

But OPA2111/LM4562 produce more depth, clarity and wider soundstage. But I notice something different from previous combination, OPA2111 + NE5532 (Stock Buffer), which is higher bass control, LM4562 simply lack of bass punch? they're ok - but not enough imo.

So AD8397 is the best buffer for better bass impact?

Oct 18, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #1,727 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally, today my LM4562 arrived... (after 1 month wait)
and awaiting for AD8656 from Ron
wink.gif

But OPA2111/LM4562 produce more depth, clarity and wider soundstage. But I notice something different from previous combination, OPA2111 + NE5532 (Stock Buffer), which is higher bass control, LM4562 simply lack of bass punch? they're ok - but not enough imo.

So AD8397 is the best buffer for better bass impact?

I think it depends upon what you are driving but the 8397 is going to offer more current and should give you better bass and slam. The AD746 should also be nice in the buffer section.

Oct 18, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #1,728 of 2,626
Lots and lots of talk about mods to the D1, but may I please intrude and ask those with longer burn in time than me about when the bass opens up more or if it does? I know, I know.....BORING!!!

This is what I have going: Sony D-EJ2000 --> Sysconcept mini-Toslink --> D1 (stock; about 1 o'clock) --> DT880. Listening to classcial, wide, clear open top, good mids, great soundstage but weaker bass and a tad muddy.

I may have about 30 hours total burn in. Not much I know. I have to work less!

Okay, back to opamps and buffers.....sorry!

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #1,729 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots and lots of talk about mods to the D1, but may I please intrude and ask those with longer burn in time than me about when the bass opens up more or if it does? I know, I know.....BORING!!!

This is what I have going: Sony D-EJ2000 --> Sysconcept mini-Toslink --> D1 (stock; about 1 o'clock) --> DT880. Listening to classcial, wide, clear open top, good mids, great soundstage but weaker bass and a tad muddy.

I may have about 30 hours total burn in. Not much I know. I have to work less!

Okay, back to opamps and buffers.....sorry!

The caps need to form, system needs to settle, the bass will get cleaner, deeper and lower mids will improve. Just gotta give it time.

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #1,730 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The caps need to form, system needs to settle, the bass will get cleaner, deeper and lower mids will improve. Just gotta give it time.

Thanks. Just needed the assurance...re-assurance! I need to find a better way to burn it in than just listening!

Looks like more are shipping so the contribution to this thread should go nuts!

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #1,731 of 2,626
Sorry if this is off-topic, but I noticed that my D1 doesn't have the larger screw at the back of the unit. Wonder if it was a design change or if they simply forgot; then again, both the USB cable and AC adapter supplied originally have died on me, luckily, a replacement AC adapter is on-route.

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #1,732 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster_Omelette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if this is off-topic, but I noticed that my D1 doesn't have the larger screw at the back of the unit. Wonder if it was a design change or if they simply forgot; then again, both the USB cable and AC adapter supplied originally have died on me, luckily, a replacement AC adapter is on-route.

Is yours new?

Oct 19, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #1,739 of 2,626
kiwirugby,

you said that you are listening at 1 o'clock to have decent volume.
It seems you have older, high resistance DT880s.

I have bad news for you: at least in stock configuration it will not get much better!
frown.gif

I have a pair of DT880s and I need to crank the D1 to get halfway decent volume and if I plug in for example my Ultrasone Proline after listening to the Beyer Dynamics and I do not change the volume the result is deafening...

Maybe the AD8397 as buffer can really drive the DT880s.

I have a MicroTube as well, and that has no problem with the DTs, on there they even have bass, in contrast to the result on the D1.

I will get the AD8397 as buffers sometime soon and then I will be able to report if in this configuration the D1 is able to really drive the DTs.

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #1,740 of 2,626
So this combination is the best for crank up the bass dynamic, so it would be suitable for rock & bassy music?

AD8656 (DAC)
AD746 x 2 (Buffer)
OPA2111 (LR)

I seen from Xin forum before, someone mention better opamp than 8656, which output more power and it has its own built in buffer.
anyone know that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back