New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 19, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #1,742 of 2,626
Wow! I replaced all of the stock brown bi-polar caps with 22uf ELNA silmic II's and replaced the stock blue ELNA's with 47uf ELNA caffeine.

I didn't expect such a big difference in SQ! I don't know if it's better quality caps or doubled the uf (or both)

But the biggest difference was in the vocals. They sound so sharp and sweet.

I don't know if that is the right choice of words but a very close comparison would be the difference between 192kbps track and flac (same song).

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #1,743 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So this combination is the best for crank up the bass dynamic, so it would be suitable for rock & bassy music?

AD8656 (DAC)
AD746 x 2 (Buffer)
OPA2111 (LR)

I seen from Xin forum before, someone mention better opamp than 8656, which output more power and it has its own built in buffer.
anyone know that?

That, or sub the AD746 for the AD8397 like originally done by Jamato8. Jamato used the AD8066 for LR while HiFlight and mraroyo went for the OPA2111 originally. I've combined the best of the two. Although, I haven't tried the 8066 yet, or the LM4562 yet. I have those, but am waiting for the LME49720 and AD746 AD6234 and AD6241-HV to arrive first.

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #1,744 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by mapstec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kiwirugby,

you said that you are listening at 1 o'clock to have decent volume.
It seems you have older, high resistance DT880s.

I have bad news for you: at least in stock configuration it will not get much better!
frown.gif

I have a pair of DT880s and I need to crank the D1 to get halfway decent volume and if I plug in for example my Ultrasone Proline after listening to the Beyer Dynamics and I do not change the volume the result is deafening...

You're absolutely correct, mapstec. I am not sure that cranking more for the 880s would really impact overall SQ. That's too bad about stock not getting any better. However, I hope jamato is right that there will be some improvement.

Big left turn here....if I want to hook my Mac G4 laptop to the D1, does the G4 have an optical out (I believe the MacBook Pro does), and, if so, do I use my mini-Toslink cable or USB?

Oct 19, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #1,745 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big left turn here....if I want to hook my Mac G4 laptop to the D1, does the G4 have an optical out (I believe the MacBook Pro does), and, if so, do I use my mini-Toslink cable or USB?

The first PowerBook to have s/pdif out was the last one, introduced in October 2005. If you've got it, you're probably better off with the optical connection to the D1 because the digital signal won't then require translation to s/pdif by the D1's USB receiver chip.

Oct 19, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #1,746 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! I replaced all of the stock brown bi-polar caps with 22uf ELNA silmic II's and replaced the stock blue ELNA's with 47uf ELNA caffeine.

I didn't expect such a big difference in SQ! I don't know if it's better quality caps or doubled the uf (or both)

But the biggest difference was in the vocals. They sound so sharp and sweet.

I don't know if that is the right choice of words but a very close comparison would be the difference between 192kbps track and flac (same song).

Is this easy to do?

Oct 19, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #1,747 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this easy to do?

Not a real easy question to answer; an appendectomy is not difficult for a general surgeon, but would be very difficult for me. Likewise, if one is comfortable removing small circuit board components that are attached using a very hard solder, cleaning up the holes, and installing the new components without damaging the foil traces, it is not a difficult job.

If you do not have a fair amount of experience with this sort of project or the proper equipment, I would say that it would be a difficult job to accomplish without damage. Be aware that board modifications will void your warranty, whereas rolling opamps will not.

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #1,748 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this easy to do?

If you have to ask...

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #1,750 of 2,626
I would be quite interested in getting feedback from those of you who have tried some of the new opamp combos. Please email or PM me with your comments and current favorites and I will try to compile them and post the results.

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #1,755 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD8397 will provide: High linear output current
310 mA peak into 32 Ω on ±12 V supplies while maintaining -80 dBc SFDR. You can find the rest of the specifications at: http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,,759_786_AD8397,00.html

The above indicates it should have plenty of drive for cans like the Grado and other low impedence cans.

Has anyone measured the voltage provided by the D1 at the op amp power supply rail pins? What voltage does it provide. This would help us access what op amps will work best in here. Sorry if this info was posted already, I don't recall seeing it. I am waiting on my new D1 still. Just re-ordered it as it is back in stock now. I have some OPA627 op amps and some AD825 op amps which are working excellent in my Practical Devices XMOY2 tin can (Penguin style) headphone amp. If the dual OPA627 works well in this amp, I am thinking it should work well in the D1 too. Anyone tried this op amp?

I like the OPA627 and AD825 op amps in my XMOY2 but don't know how they will sound in the D1. Cannot wait to get my D1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back