[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Mar 19, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #5,896 of 5,962
I'm still rocking the VSonic GR07 Bass Edition - perfectly complimenting the X1!

I love them so much I'm considering buying a new pair and putting it in a custom sleeve...

May 2, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #5,897 of 5,962
I do not know what HIFI people are thinking about , I am a professional musician, I have used AKG k701 for long time when i was still studying in austria. then i heard the HD650 and 600, I was in love with the 650. I have tried hd 700, 800, BD DT880 990 (some from my studio), never changed my mind . until I Heard the fidelio X1, bought it loved it(still love my 650 bit more). last month I bought the X2 from amazon. NO way, this headphone is no way batter than the X1. you feel you are out side of the music, looking at it. and do you hear the treble, it jumps like mad. mid is far away , bass is good , need a bit more body, maybe better than X1? i do not know for sure. but all in all, it is not musical , you are not in the music, you are outside , you hear a lot of sound, (I find the HD800 give me the same feeling). do you want music or you want the tectonic headphones?

BTW , i heard the MDR Z1R, I feel it is a music instrument, I will get it some time soon.

I made an account here just to tell you what i think and feel about this matte, I bought the X2 because people saying is better, much better , improvement......

May 3, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #5,898 of 5,962
I do not know what HIFI people are thinking about , I am a professional musician, I have used AKG k701 for long time when i was still studying in austria. then i heard the HD650 and 600, I was in love with the 650. I have tried hd 700, 800, BD DT880 990 (some from my studio), never changed my mind . until I Heard the fidelio X1, bought it loved it(still love my 650 bit more). last month I bought the X2 from amazon. NO way, this headphone is no way batter than the X1. you feel you are out side of the music, looking at it. and do you hear the treble, it jumps like mad. mid is far away , bass is good , need a bit more body, maybe better than X1? i do not know for sure. but all in all, it is not musical , you are not in the music, you are outside , you hear a lot of sound, (I find the HD800 give me the same feeling). do you want music or you want the tectonic headphones?

BTW , i heard the MDR Z1R, I feel it is a music instrument, I will get it some time soon.

I made an account here just to tell you what i think and feel about this matte, I bought the X2 because people saying is better, much better , improvement......

One question - what do You use as source gear and did You use any amping for X2 when comparing?

May 3, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #5,899 of 5,962
One question - what do You use as source gear and did You use any amping for X2 when comparing?
yes I did use the SMSL va2 + A8 and Audioengian D1, aune X1 ,X7, filo K1 and that is all I have .

I listen to 80% acoustic instrument music (jazz classical flamenco tango) 20% classic pop, rock, metal and rap (Eminem) , very new stuff are not my thing.
I donot hate the x2s,i would say is a good headphone in some way(like a action movie), only if there were no X1s(a movie with a nice story).
I play in the Orchestra for living, partly do some recording and cutting in my friends studio for fun.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #5,900 of 5,962
yes I did use the SMSL va2 + A8 and Audioengian D1, aune X1 ,X7, filo K1 and that is all I have .

I listen to 80% acoustic instrument music (jazz classical flamenco tango) 20% classic pop, rock, metal and rap (Eminem) , very new stuff are not my thing.
I donot hate the x2s,i would say is a good headphone in some way(like a action movie), only if there were no X1s(a movie with a nice story).
I play in the Orchestra for living, partly do some recording and cutting in my friends studio for fun.
Well, glad I read between lines from many reviews about X1 & X2 ...and decided not to sell X1 and buy X2 instead. I really love how X1 sounds with my gear and really don`t wish for more/better as I find them perfect :wink:

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #5,901 of 5,962
When listening to open backs, I predominantly listen to my Nighthawks. I took the X1's out of their drawer today and thought to myself "As much as I like the X1's, I never listen to them any more and I should probably sell them".

I then put them on and instantly thought "Damn these sound great. I'm never selling them". Lol.

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #5,902 of 5,962
When listening to open backs, I predominantly listen to my Nighthawks. I took the X1's out of their drawer today and thought to myself "As much as I like the X1's, I never listen to them any more and I should probably sell them".

I then put them on and instantly thought "Damn these sound great. I'm never selling them". Lol.

I have had my X1's in storage for going on two years. I finally got my dedicated "media room" set up and have been predominantly using my AKG K7KK's (which are mighty fine sounding, BTW). Over the weekend, I decided to break X1's out of their box and have a listen. I had forgotten how completely awesome they are and had to refrain from slapping myself upside the head for keeping them hidden away for so long! I started to get the itch for another pair of cans as the AKG's, though very good for monitoring, were just not all that involving. Well, I just saved myself a bunch of money that I did not need to spend (other than to find a "backup" pair of X1's). I am sure there are better cans out there but at this point, I really do not care!

It is a shame that Philips' business model is so weird. When they want to, they can come up with outstanding designs, especially within their Fidelio line. They bring the X1 to market, everyone loves it and BOOM! they yank it. Same with the X2, or with their Soundsphere speakers. I have the Fidelio soundbar (now discontinued, of course) in my living room and it is an incredible piece of kit. Perhaps their Fidelio line just isn't profitable...

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #5,903 of 5,962
try this mod, with porous paper tape, the idea came from Whitigir https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-mdr-z7-upgrades-and-mods-thread.794373/
sorry I do not have
audiophile word..
---- I was try take away the bass to in to mid problem , tried different mods . cotton in the centre: (the over all sound changed, little metallic , do not try that). cotton on the side (treble not that good, miss sound space). then surgical paper tape on the driver and all driver side and also cup side: ( bass extend more less loose, everything just too tight sound very thick and slow).
in the end surgical paper tape only on the side of the cup.

bass is little better controlled, also high is less harsh more round , less ringing. I feel it is cleaned less edges and corners,and over all sound personality did not change. ( to open the earpads are not so easy, do not open it if you can not practice the piano or violin for 6 hours hoping to see any improvement) need patient. little be little.

Attachments

• IMG_0658.JPG
    IMG_0658.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #5,905 of 5,962
how to add photo? trying
You need enough posts to get permit to post pics. You can send link to my via PM and I can post it if You want :wink:

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #5,906 of 5,962
The X1 is VERY source dependant IMO. I also gave up on them fairly quickly after initially enjoying them as they just sounded too congested for an open back, but then I tried it with this set-up. Sabaj DA3 DAC>>> Sabaj PHA2 Desktop AMP. The PHA2 especially is a very flat, firm bodied AMP. It immediately stretched the soundstage as it gave good weight to overall sound. It also tightened the bass - made it LESS boomy. Now I really enjoy them and will put off buying the Shure SRH 1840.

So if you have an AMP that's got good body and weight or neatral I think you'd get the best out of the X1. Perhaps the FIIO e10k even (but i sold it so can't try).

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #5,907 of 5,962
Yeah, X1 benefits quite a lot from neutral sided DAC and powrful amping (be careful not to exceed 500mA with these).

how to add photo? trying
Here is Your pic:
10127702.jpg

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #5,908 of 5,962
The X1 is VERY source dependant IMO. I also gave up on them fairly quickly after initially enjoying them as they just sounded too congested for an open back, but then I tried it with this set-up. Sabaj DA3 DAC>>> Sabaj PHA2 Desktop AMP. The PHA2 especially is a very flat, firm bodied AMP. It immediately stretched the soundstage as it gave good weight to overall sound. It also tightened the bass - made it LESS boomy. Now I really enjoy them and will put off buying the Shure SRH 1840.

So if you have an AMP that's got good body and weight or neatral I think you'd get the best out of the X1. Perhaps the FIIO e10k even (but i sold it so can't try).

Yup. And as I recall, quite "cable dependent" as well.

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #5,909 of 5,962
Yup. And as I recall, quite "cable dependent" as well.

Really? I thought the cable it came with was great quality as well. To be fair I was fairly skeptical about cables having an effect on sound for a long while until i got a decent silver cable for my LZA4 and even more so with a balanced cable.

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #5,910 of 5,962

Users who are viewing this thread

Back