[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Nov 11, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #5,882 of 5,962
my Fidelio X1 is falling apart :/ the earpads are losing their adhesiveness. any suggestions?
Take them apart then.... wash the pads if needed or change with DT-880/990 pads and add some new contact glue or double-sided thin tape.
Imho, it is easy fix :wink:

Nov 17, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #5,884 of 5,962
is there any guide on this taking apart?
hmm and the DT-880/990 pads from Massdrop/Amazon?

the oxidisation on the metal frame too :/ ugh
There should be some pics and guides in here X1 threads also. Sorry dont have the link, You got to search Yourself.
Anyway, know that I`ve removed them many times by now, just the first removald must be done right :wink:

Dec 1, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #5,885 of 5,962
Bit of a strange start with these for me. I had been looking for ages for a set to become available and recently got a set in near new condition on eBay for £110. At first I thought they ere very over hyped. They sounded congested for an open ear of it's size. Everything just sounded too 'big' and instruments and vocals got in the way of each other as if fighting for centre stage. So I put them aside and concentrated on the new IEM I bought instead (Brainwavz B200, excellent set).

I then gave them an other go today and then realised where I'd gone wrong... i was playing these at the volume I normally do with my other headphones... pretty loud. When i lowered the volume to around 50-55% everything opened up. These don't need to be pushed to sound good, they are very efficient at lower volumes. Now everything took it's place in the mix and they sound great. They have a weight to the sound, a thickness of note that somehow still stays delicate and open. Bass is very big, sometimes too big, but still accurate.. this is 80s rock bass :) Still no muddiness in to mids or treble. Treble is lovely and crisp, never sibilant or tiring but things like cymbals are very accurate sounding.

These do many genres well. They excel in acoustic and jazz, where the air between everything and big soundstage helps. Rock guitars have weight and aggression even thought they are nice and smooth. Piano sounds like you're there playing it yourself. Drums have great force and pound effortlessly.

Build, I'd like them to be have a bit more grip. Someone with a small head might struggle with these. They are comfy though and I've never had them slip off (and i haven't got the biggest of heads).

My other big open ear was HD 650... and I'd pick these over the power hungry, boring Senns any day.

Dec 2, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #5,886 of 5,962
Yes, I have a small head and I did have problems. Nothing an elastic bad couldn't fix though! The raised (i.e. normal for most people) position on my head improved the sound too.

I also agree that these sound better than Sennys (HD600 in my case) for the vast majority of stuff.

10036681_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #5,887 of 5,962
Yes, I have a small head and I did have problems. Nothing an elastic bad couldn't fix though! The raised (i.e. normal for most people) position on my head improved the sound too.

I also agree that these sound better than Sennys (HD600 in my case) for the vast majority of stuff.

10036681_thumb.jpg
great idea with the elastic band.... need to try this

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #5,888 of 5,962
One of my favorite setups is the X1 with the mojo. I don't have to eq either it just sounds right. I tried other headphones (he400i, Nighthawk, HD650,etc..) but overall X1 gets the most playtime. I've had it for years and to this day still serves me well.

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #5,890 of 5,962
Bit of a strange start with these for me. I had been looking for ages for a set to become available and recently got a set in near new condition on eBay for £110. At first I thought they ere very over hyped. They sounded congested for an open ear of it's size. Everything just sounded too 'big' and instruments and vocals got in the way of each other as if fighting for centre stage. So I put them aside and concentrated on the new IEM I bought instead (Brainwavz B200, excellent set).

I then gave them an other go today and then realised where I'd gone wrong... i was playing these at the volume I normally do with my other headphones... pretty loud. When i lowered the volume to around 50-55% everything opened up. These don't need to be pushed to sound good, they are very efficient at lower volumes. Now everything took it's place in the mix and they sound great. They have a weight to the sound, a thickness of note that somehow still stays delicate and open. Bass is very big, sometimes too big, but still accurate.. this is 80s rock bass :) Still no muddiness in to mids or treble. Treble is lovely and crisp, never sibilant or tiring but things like cymbals are very accurate sounding.

These do many genres well. They excel in acoustic and jazz, where the air between everything and big soundstage helps. Rock guitars have weight and aggression even thought they are nice and smooth. Piano sounds like you're there playing it yourself. Drums have great force and pound effortlessly.

Build, I'd like them to be have a bit more grip. Someone with a small head might struggle with these. They are comfy though and I've never had them slip off (and i haven't got the biggest of heads).

My other big open ear was HD 650... and I'd pick these over the power hungry, boring Senns any day.
While I agree with X1 being very good at lower volumes also, I strongly recommend to try them with amp (neutral or cold-sided) and lower impedance cable.
Have You measured Your unit cable? There is long post about stock cable measurements by me buried somewhere in this thread, search it. It may be the cause of Your X1 sound "issue" at higher volume.

One of my favorite setups is the X1 with the mojo. I don't have to eq either it just sounds right. I tried other headphones (he400i, Nighthawk, HD650,etc..) but overall X1 gets the most playtime. I've had it for years and to this day still serves me well.
Nice to read this. Was planning to get mojo someday but then baby came :) Nevertheless, good to know and I still am 100% satisfied with current desk DAC/amp pairing with these.

Dec 17, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #5,892 of 5,962
I got a Hegel Super to drive my X1 st the moment. What's your favorite dac/amp guys?

Crazily enough I am really enjoying the X1's at the moment off of my S7 edge (exynos) to Fiio BTR1 bluetooth receiver. Like, enjoying it a lot! :)

Mar 17, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #5,893 of 5,962
Crazily enough I am really enjoying the X1's at the moment off of my S7 edge (exynos) to Fiio BTR1 bluetooth receiver. Like, enjoying it a lot! :)

Philips Fidelio X1 is showing musical goodness plugged in simply from my Motorola Moto X Android cellphone. Simple yet satisfying. I think adding Audioquest Dragonfly USB in between those two will make the music more satisfying. However, this setup is very good and enough already.

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #5,894 of 5,962
Btw, I got myself iBasso IT01 (which I have "burned-in" for about >150h) and despite it having little smaller soundstage and its expansion, it sounds very similar to X1 out from neutral source + custom cable + little amping. So, who is enjoying X1 and wants something similar in IEM world, IT01 is definitely a IEM to check out :wink:

Mar 19, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #5,895 of 5,962
Btw, I got myself iBasso IT01 (which I have "burned-in" for about >150h) and despite it having little smaller soundstage and its expansion, it sounds very similar to X1 out from neutral source + custom cable + little amping. So, who is enjoying X1 and wants something similar in IEM world, IT01 is definitely a IEM to check out :wink:
That's good to hear. I was considering getting the IT01 at some point, but haven't gotten around to it due to funding. It certainly looks to be a great value proposition based on what I've read from others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back