Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
Jan 11, 2016 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 440

PETEREK

Member of the Trade: ThePETEREK on Etsy
Previously known as cCasper TFG
The Sony Z7 thread is being flooded constantly with mod tips and cable talk, so in an effort to reduce that and keep that thread based on the stock headphone itself I am making this thread to focus on those modifications and other improvements owners might stumble upon. Advice on how to accomplish these mods or new mods is also welcomed here. To start I'll show what I did to my Z7 when I had it to make the cables between my Audeze and it easier; I installed mini XLR connectors where the stock 3.5mm connectors were on the cups.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 440
Has anyone or any websites taken measurements after the mods? A few graphs would be very helpful.

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 440
Thanks Peterek ! Finally a thread for Z7 mods. Coming from Sony Headphones Owners, everyone must be fairly familiar with (cups dampening mod). I am gladly reporting in that I have done a couple mods myself, and the Z7 not only show improvements but more like a transformation.

1/ cup chambers dampening mods
2/ upgraded Solid-Silver braided cables toward the drivers

These 2 were the mods that brought in much improvements, and ofcourse the 3rd options of upgraded main cables from Kimber Kables by Sony or whoever you want to call it. I am glad that I also use Solid silver for my main cables as well.

I was able to achieve more sub-bass extensions and energy that give the rumbles effects by the first 2 mods. However the damping mod must be done first prior to the cables being upgraded, otherwise it would be a Pain. The dampening will cancel out the powerful mod-bass resonances which in turn cancel out the sub-bass extensions and mushy out the sub-bass to bass texture or body. This is the main reason why stock Z7 has mushy bass, sometime flappy, and even distort....it is the result from all of the long frequency waves resonated and being amplified by the cup chambers. It amplified resonances make the bass mushy and blur the lines of sub-bass, and the mid-bass slams on the Z7 is very very powerful, that is why the cup need dampening.

Too much dampening material and it loses the volumetric inside to produce proper sub-bass extensions.....blocking out the vent ports and it would also do so. The best is porous paper tape (surgical grade for non absorbent property). That is to avoid trapping and absorbing the humidity in the air which degrades the tapes over the years.

Dampening onto the back would clean up the graininess from within the trebles and create further air and warmth, which in turn also help out to tone the mid-bass and sub-bass body into a much more defined and layered bass, and giving more airs into the vocal trebles region.

Solid silver cables was used to upgrade the super-slim oxygen free copper by stock Z7, which brought into much more conductivity, flows to help the drivers respond faster, in which it helps define more resolutions across the whole spectrums bass-mid-trebles. Most specially would be the soundstage and the bass to be even more controlled and tighter together with the "metallic tints" being more organic and "crystalline" but no longer metallic.

These mods were done, and transformed Z7 into a somewhat unique sound signature with bass that rumbles and sub-bass that pressurize the ears (feel the air) and yet defined mid. If one is picky enough and want even more splash and trebles extensions....the center felt paper could be taken out, thinned out, and that even help trebles further...I don't...advise to take it out.

Never the less, Z7 is a good headphones at it price point, but the potentials to turn it into something even more high-end is there, and can clearly be achieved by what I had done. I can see why some used Z7 can be had for cheap now (I meant cheap). It is the best time to buy them and mod them. You will have the experiences that can hardly brought by anything else...I do mean it, my Th900 is also upgraded but Z7 stands toes to toes with it with just different sound signature.

Any questions, feel free to pm me.

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 440
  The Sony Z7 is being flooded constantly with mod tips and cable talk, so in an effort to reduce that and keep that thread based on the stock headphone itself I am making this thread to focus on those modifications and other improvements owners might stumble upon. Advise on how to accomplish these mods or new mods is also welcomed here. To start I'll show what I did to my Z7 when I had it to make the cables between my Audeze and it easier; I installed mini XLR connectors where the stock 3.5mm connectors were on the cups. 

^ And also replaced the internal wiring with Mogami wire. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 440

The Sony Z7 is being flooded constantly with mod tips and cable talk, so in an effort to reduce that and keep that thread based on the stock headphone itself I am making this thread to focus on those modifications and other improvements owners might stumble upon. Advise on how to accomplish these mods or new mods is also welcomed here. To start I'll show what I did to my Z7 when I had it to make the cables between my Audeze and it easier; I installed mini XLR connectors where the stock 3.5mm connectors were on the cups. 

^ And also replaced the internal wiring with Mogami wire. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Yes, I did that as well!

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 440
I can attest for the very Tactile Sub Bass from Whitigars mods, I've got his MDR Z7 with me now an while I feel it's still as DARK as many people describe the stock headphone, the Sub Bass really is something! It's a little more forward than my HE 4, an not quite as fast. Though it is a little more solid... so I can't quite say it's better than the HE 4 with regards to Sub Bass, but it is in equal footing! 

well actually with regard to foot steps, I'll have to say the MDR Z7 handles Giant Robo Foot Steps better than the HE 4! 

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 440
Here we go! I have had my Z7 for about a year and now I think it's time to finally mod these babies. I'm gonna need to invest in a soldering kit.

Quote:
  I can attest for the very Tactile Sub Bass from Whitigars mods, I've got his MDR Z7 with me now an while I feel it's still as DARK as many people describe the stock headphone, the Sub Bass really is something! It's a little more forward than my HE 4, an not quite as fast. Though it is a little more solid... so I can't quite say it's better than the HE 4 with regards to Sub Bass, but it is in equal footing! 

Have you heard the stock Z7?

If so, are you hearing the same improvements that Whitigir claims of?

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 440
Have you heard the stock Z7?

If so, are you hearing the same improvements that Whitigir claims of?

You have a stock Z7m do you feel what I impressed on is correct stock bass is mushy, flappy, boomy this is where the love and hate relationship is? The sub-bass and mid bass impact on modded Z7 is very real, and when you improve it to the maximum that it could as I described above, you will see the best of it. Mshenay doesn't have upgraded silver cables and or balanced cables to test it, but that will bring even faster respond to bass and resolutions.

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 440
You have a stock Z7m do you feel what I impressed on is correct stock bass is mushy, flappy, boomy this is where the love and hate relationship is? The sub-bass and mid bass impact on modded Z7 is very real, and when you improve it to the maximum that it could as I described above, you will see the best of it. Mshenay doesn't have upgraded silver cables and or balanced cables to test it, but that will bring even faster respond to bass and resolutions.

well I won't swear by silver cables, but I can say with my Balanced Amps bass response get's faster an the sound stage opens up

Originally Posted by Sonic Defender /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In terms of detail, so bass quality as opposed to quality, how do you feel the HE-4 stacks against the modded Z7?

It's hard to say, my SE amps don't give the HE 4 enough power to have a quick bass response, an the amps them selvs are a little sluggish compared to the balanced out of my NFB10ES2

so that said, I'd imagine with a balanced cable the MDR Z7 would compare nicely to the HE 4 in terms of both speed an overall quality 

an this modded MDR Z7 is VERY dark, though it still has a more than enough energy in the upper mids an treble. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 440
Yes, it is dark and the cables that you have is silver plated oxygen free copper. I used my Z7 with balanced out from Zx2 and solid silver cables as well, and the same on th900. I can say that th900 has superb trebles and details retrievals while Z7 has such good bass and soundstage :D. Now to think about it...taking a Z7 at 2.5x cheaper than th900, and with the same mods....they stand toes to toes with different sound signature....is that such a good value on the Z7 ? I say heck yeah !

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 440
Yes, it is dark and the cables that you have is silver plated oxygen free copper. I used my Z7 with balanced out from Zx2 and solid silver cables as well, and the same on th900. I can say that th900 has superb trebles and details retrievals while Z7 has such good bass and soundstage
biggrin.gif
. Now to think about it...taking a Z7 at 2.5x cheaper than th900, and with the same mods....they stand toes to toes with different sound signature....is that such a good value on the Z7 ? I say heck yeah !

I'd hope the Sound Stage isn't BETTER on the MDR Z7 than the TH 900, if so the TH 900 must sound like a box xD 

still though, the MDR Z7 has some impressive bass. I might have to invest some time an cash into a pair... 

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 440
Yeah both is pretty closed back :) neither will have those much open soundstage as the open back. You have a thx00 do you ? The thing is that in balanced mode, they both open up more than in stock SE connection. The next thing I like from Z7 is that while it does leak sound in/out, it doesn't really leak as much as fostex :D

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #13 of 440
Yeah both is pretty closed back
smily_headphones1.gif
neither will have those much open soundstage as the open back. You have a thx00 do you ? The thing is that in balanced mode, they both open up more than in stock SE connection. The next thing I like from Z7 is that while it does leak sound in/out, it doesn't really leak as much as fostex
biggrin.gif

Oh I don't care much for Leakage, I'm usually alone  so no one's to bothered  an I do intened to use  my Fostex in conjection with my LA D5k to listen with friends an both tend to leak a little

but at around 80ish dbs the MDR Z7 opens up just a smidge, while swapping into my LA D5k... really feels like... I've been "set free" lol you don't miss extra width given how much layering you get the MDR Z7 has 

Though I really need a balanced Hybrid Tube so I can get the sound stage of my Balanced SS with the extra warmth of the Tube. With full Lawton mods the D5k get's a smidge dry. while that is really amazing with Classical Music [A DENON with Classic :D the power of Lawtons] how ever for older Jazz an a lot of my Rock an Metal I really enjoy the Starlight with my  LA D5k in SE sadly, now the hunt is on to find a Balanced Hybrid Tube xD 

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #14 of 440
AN more on the MDR Z7 vs the HE 4... 

the HE 4 an the modded MDR Z7 share the same low end, voices have a really amazing body on the HE 4, bass is thumpy. I was watching a fight Scene in Gotham, an honestly the HE 4 is really just a step up. Though the MDR Z7 Offers isolation an a touch more low end body, but the HE 4 provides that same level of body in the low End [minus a touch of umph] with a wider more layered sound an a really nice top end 

things Horns, really stand out, laughter has a nice Pop to it with the HE 4, that you miss out with the MDR Z7

things like "echo" stand out a little bit more, the MDR Z7 is a touch to dark some times an it misses out on those details. Though it offers others in exchange 

there's just a level of clarity an tactility that the MDR Z7 misses out in, espically in really deeper voices, the MDR Z7 has done well with machines, it sonds amazing with Enginees, really deep heavy metalalic sounds, where as the HE 4 does these well in addition to really the entire gambit of sounds! 

I spend a lot of time with my closed backs, because they are there

but really my HE 4 is still king of my home rig 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back