New Oppo BDP-103 & 105 previewed at Cedia
May 26, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #211 of 258
Quote:

I used to have hum issues in my HT until I put an Jensen VRD-1FF isolation transformer in my cable line. It's a very common problem caused by poor grounding of the cable feed. If you run into it again you might want to try the iso xformer. The Jensen is pretty much the industry standard for dealing with this issue. If you run into it again try disconnecting the cable feed to see if the hum goes away. If it does that's the source.

Your comment about the smoothness of the Realta presentation fits with my memory of the situation very well. It's a very attractive film-like look. I really liked it. The current Oppo DVD upscaler has a more video-like look. It recovers a lot of detail but it just isn't as pretty as the 3930. There are some noise reduction settings in the Oppo that might improve things but I haven't tried them.

You are lucky not to have laser problems with the 3930. The 3930 forum on AVSForums is full of people who had this issue. Eventually somebody published instructions on how to DIY the repair for a few bucks, but by then I had moved on. You might keep it in mind if you get bitten by this flaw in the 3930. It's too bad really because as you say the build quality of this player is great.

I use a Roku to stream Amazon Prime stuff as well as Netflix through the Oppo. It has excellent ROKU stick integration and there is even a bundle price if you buy the stick with the Oppo. For $50 it's good deal.

Thanks for your impressions. It was interesting to hear from someone still using the 3930. It's the best DVD player I ever had. The second best is the Oppo BDP-83 which has a Mediatek chip instead of the QDEO.

My Denon DVD-5910CI uses the Realta and you explained the difference between it and the QDEO very well.  I am in the camp that prefers the QDEO over the Realta, but both are very good depending on preference.
smile.gif

May 26, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #212 of 258
I am burning in the Oppo BDP105 I was sent by Oppo to review. I own the BDP95 and this unit is very exciting as well. Built like a tank and sounding excellent and gives you added USB connection to ue the DAC for computers. A very exciting unit from Oppo.   

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #213 of 258
Quote:
I am burning in the Oppo BDP105 I was sent by Oppo to review. I own the BDP95 and this unit is very exciting as well. Built like a tank and sounding excellent and gives you added USB connection to ue the DAC for computers. A very exciting unit from Oppo.   

Also own the BDP95, ignoring the ability to run other sources to the 105's DAC, what do you think?

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #214 of 258
I've had both the BDP-95 and the BDP-105 in my system, and I felt that they sounded very similar. I ended up replacing the BDP-95 because I wanted to take advantage of the digital inputs on the BDP-105, among other things.

Plus, the headphone amp section does an excellent job of driving my HD600s.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #215 of 258
Has anyone done the Modwright mod to their BDP-105? Does the mod have a greater impact if the BDP-105 is used as a pre-amp straight into an external power amp? Cheers for any info.

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #216 of 258
Quote:

Also own the BDP95, ignoring the ability to run other sources to the 105's DAC, what do you think?

I like using the USB Dac for watching dvd off my imac and for music files also. Otherwise they both sound similar very hard for me to tell the differences between the two

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #218 of 258
I bought the 103 recently to replace a Pioneer BDP005. At first I was very disappointed in it.

I found the main problem was that the digital out was not set to Bitstream. Changing to Bitstream really improved the overall sound quality and imaging from my Rotel AV reciever.

However, if I had to do it over again I probably would have demoed the 105 before making my decision as there is a light slight edge to the 103 that may just mean it needs more runin.

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #219 of 258
Just got an Oppo BDP-105 and hope to compare it to my W4S DAC-2 soon.  Sound great so far but I'm not that sure that it is any better than my Sony SCD-XA9000ES on SACD playback.

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #220 of 258
  I bought the 103 recently to replace a Pioneer BDP005. At first I was very disappointed in it.

I found the main problem was that the digital out was not set to Bitstream. Changing to Bitstream really improved the overall sound quality and imaging from my Rotel AV reciever.

However, if I had to do it over again I probably would have demoed the 105 before making my decision as there is a light slight edge to the 103 that may just mean it needs more runin.

If you're using the digital output of a 103 then there is no point in using a 105.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #221 of 258
Can the 105 be used to drive headphones like HD650s,HD800s or T1s on its own or does it still require amping?

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #224 of 258
  I have no problems driving my HD600s using the BDP-105's headphone amplifier. In fact, I had the opportunity to compare it with the Benchmark DAC2 and could not hear a difference.

How much volume headroom did you have?

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #225 of 258
The thread "OPPO BDP-105 headphone Amp" is relevant for this subject/discussion/subthread including my post #13, #15, and #17 about the OPPO BDP-105 headphone amplifier/out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back