New Oppo BDP-103 & 105 previewed at Cedia
Mar 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #181 of 258
Just wanted to chime in here and say that I've had my BPD-105 for 6 weeks now and I ADORE it!

I just updated to the new beta firmware that allows DSD file playback from a USB device. I am about to try it now. I'm pretty excited for this because the value contained within this little bit just skyrocketed by adding this feature! There are some hickups, but this BDP-105 is just astonishing. Someone mentioned above that there needs to be more talk about this device as a player and pre-amp and I completely agree. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #182 of 258
Quote:
Just wanted to chime in here and say that I've had my BPD-105 for 6 weeks now and I ADORE it!

I just updated to the new beta firmware that allows DSD file playback from a USB device. I am about to try it now. I'm pretty excited for this because the value contained within this little bit just skyrocketed by adding this feature! There are some hickups, but this BDP-105 is just astonishing. Someone mentioned above that there needs to be more talk about this device as a player and pre-amp and I completely agree. 

How does this work?     NVM..   I just read about it..

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #183 of 258
popcorn.gif
sbuscribed

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #184 of 258
I meant to post about the firmware when it came out but I haven't had time.  I don't load beta firmware myself and I don't have any of the issues some people are having but this is a significant update.  I've had my 105 for over 4 months now and still happy...  Actually I probably should have skipped the oppo because it's caused me to spend a substantial amount of money on power amps and speakers since I liked it (and multichannel audio) so much.

note, that starting with this beta update, you can no longer revert back to a previous firmware update.  You have to reset factory defaults after loading this update so remember all your custom settings and remember to change your volume setting if you are like me and directly feeding a power amp.

DSD can be played from local storage in addition to shinny discs.  I'm not sure if it's actually available when using it as a USB DAC.

you can build playlists on the go like on the older oppo's.

Added AIFF support (which I didn't know we didn't have before).

Added ExFAT file system for mass storage.

Added additional crossover settings.

changed some speaker settings.

improved downmixing algorithm for the headphone amp.

added time delay settings.

added some usb keyboard support

added the standard bluray compatibility updates

Mar 30, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #185 of 258
Skimming through the thread, I didn't notice a clear answer to "How Powerful Is It's Headphone Amp?"

The manual on my 105 says:

600 Ohms: 17mw
300 Ohms: 34mw
150 Ohms: 63mw
120 Ohms: 77mw
60 Ohms: 120mw
30 Ohms: 187 mw

It easily drives my Beyerdynamic DT1350s to VERY loud.  No problems at all with the portables.    My Senn 650s... adequately well, and impressively clear/detailed. Though, as I'm sure everyone can tell just by glancing at the output numbers, it lacks some dynamic punch with these full sized cans.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #186 of 258
Loving my new 105. Brilliant dac for the money, even with blu ray etc aside. Also very impressed with the usb to coax converter. Great machine. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #187 of 258
Oppo makes great hardware, no question. But the thing in my mind that really puts them over the top is their service and support.

I used to own a Denon DVD player - top pf the line $1600 with beautiful Reon upscaling. The drive in it died so I sent it in to be serviced. They kept the player for 2 months and charged me $300 to fix it. Later I found out that the part they changed was a $5 laser that had a known high failure rate. Basically it was defective as sold. Don't get me wrong - Denon makes some fine equipment. But their service is dog poo. And a rip-off.

I also have an Oppo BDP-83. That had a similar problem with the loader - high failure rate from the get-go.  Mine failed out of warranty. I sent it to Oppo to be fixed. They fixed it, charged me $0 and shipped it back to me the same day they received it.

You can imagine who has my business from here on out.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #190 of 258
Quote:
Oppo makes great hardware, no question. But the thing in my mind that really puts them over the top is their service and support.

I used to own a Denon DVD player - top pf the line $1600 with beautiful Reon upscaling. The drive in it died so I sent it in to be serviced. They kept the player for 2 months and charged me $300 to fix it. Later I found out that the part they changed was a $5 laser that had a known high failure rate. Basically it was defective as sold. Don't get me wrong - Denon makes some fine equipment. But their service is dog poo. And a rip-off.

I also have an Oppo BDP-83. That had a similar problem with the loader - high failure rate from the get-go.  Mine failed out of warranty. I sent it to Oppo to be fixed. They fixed it, charged me $0 and shipped it back to me the same day they received it.

You can imagine who has my business from here on out.

I had the same experience with my BD-83. They also flashed the latest firmware. It came back in like new shape for $0...Amazing service!

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #193 of 258
Guys,

I've got the BDP-93 and was wondering if its worthwhile to up-grade to the newest BDP-105 model?

The bad thing is I don't need two universal players - one is sufficient. The other important consideration is that the BDP-93 has the ability to play ISO files - stuck on the old firmware. The ISO feature is pretty handy as I've gone through the trouble of making ISO backups of the DVD collection.

Steve

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #195 of 258
I would like to know how the 105 rates as a stand alone DAC. I already own a BDP-93 and an ES9018 based DAC.

I could unload both which would cover a good part of the 105's costs, eliminate one box and a few cables and add a HP amp in the process.

My only concern is that I'm looking for a DAC that has a bit more meat on the bones than my current EE Minimax and I wouldn't want to end up trading four quarters for a dollar(soundwise) - so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back