New Oppo BDP-103 & 105 previewed at Cedia
Jan 2, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #151 of 258
Quote:
It is a low power amp and for some reason they artificially limited it's power output more than they had too.  They said they didn't want to get blamed for damaging people's headphones but I don't know why they would have issues with that when no one else worries about it.  It does sound very nice though. I admit that when listening to classical with LCD-2's I can get to 100% volume.  It's loud but not crazy loud and obviously that's not an issue with Rock and some other music.  This however is a very different and unique amp design which makes the being at 100% irrelevant (unless you just need it to be louder).  But the amp operates at it's optimal gain 100% percent of the time no matter what you're listening to and what the volume is set at.  Always.  The only thing that changes is the output from the DAC.  So there is no way to overdrive the amp and it's always ''in the sweet spot''.  The DAC uses all 32 bits of the Saber32 for volume control so there is no loss in SQ or compression when using the digital volume. 

The DAC is great and the USB DAC, unlike other USB DACs that I've used, simply works and works well and I've never had to mess with it and never had to screw with settings to make it work.  I sold my $1032 Audio-gd Ref-32 after I got the 105.  I'm not saying it's better or that anyone else will get the same results but I like it and it helped me simplify my system.

Even though I've been using the 105 as a preamp for the last several weeks I haven't actually compared it until this weekend.  Comparing the oppo directly to my emo XPA power amp over XLR and the oppo thru HDMI to my Marantz AVR and RCA to the XPA produces a very very very large and unmistakable difference.  Granted my AVR is fairly low end but I picked it because I only have 1 input to it so though I had more money to spend I didn't see the point in it.  But you don't have to even be looking for a difference let alone doing some real critical listening (in my system) to hear a vast improvement in going directly from the OPPO to my power amp.  It's like getting upgraded speakers.  You may not hear a difference if you have a d2v or similar but I'm willing to bet most people will hear an improvement by skipping the pre/pro.

Thanks for the useful information! It's too bad that after going to all the trouble of putting a headphone amp into it, Oppo then decided to gimp it's power output.  With only 34mW going into 300 Ohms, I'm starting to think I would still end up needing a separate amp for my Senn. HD650s.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #152 of 258
Quote:
The 5800 does allow for amp only or preamp only use. Handy!

Preamp only yes, certainly. Amp only I don't think so. I looked at the 5800 user manual and I don't see anything that looks like amp inputs. That is a rare feature on receivers.

The EXT IN jacks bypass some stuff but you are still using the preamp for volume controls etc.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #153 of 258
I dont have a 105, but I wanted to drop by give a thumbs up for Oppo...I have a 93 and its been a great player.

If the server side of things can stream from a network then I probably will get a 105...its the only thing the 93 lacked that annoyed me (had to hang a hard drive off the back)

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #154 of 258
The 93 plays streamed music the same as the 105 does.  The only difference is that the 105 is also a renderer (meaning you can push music to the 105 instead of the 105 looking for streamed music).

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #156 of 258
I just started playing with the rendering functions on the 105 tonight. Wow! So cool!

Who needs a USB connection when you can push 24 bit FLAC files directly to the 105 over wifi?

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #157 of 258
Quote:
can i plug in my ps3 in the hdmi IN and through the hdmi 1 out   to my led tv?  and play ps3?

yes. And if you have a harmony remote you can set it up to set that up too.  There is no descrete 'hdmi' in code but you can program 'input' and the number that corresponds to that input such as '7' and you're set.

Quote:
I just started playing with the rendering functions on the 105 tonight. Wow! So cool!

Who needs a USB connection when you can push 24 bit FLAC files directly to the 105 over wifi?

It is pretty cool.  It sounds like the controllers for android work better than the ios ones so far but  that will change.

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #158 of 258
Could someone pls help me, I am lost and dont know how to stream music from my mac to oppo 105 wirelessly...pls psl help in detail as I am no good with this hi tech computer stuff...thanx

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #159 of 258
I'm not familiar with Macs but with PCs, if the computer and Oppo are on the same home wireless/LAN network then the Oppo should be able to see your computer.

Directions for streaming via networked computers starts on Pages 44 & 79 of the BDP-105 manual.  If you go through it step by step you will have no problem.  You have to first make your sure go to Set-up Menu > Network Set-up > click Network On.  Then go back to main screen and click on Network icon.  When you do that you should be able to see Computers on the network.  Then click on the one with music and when you do that you should be able to see what folders are shared from your computer.  Those folders will have your music. 

Also try AVS forum.
http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP105/BDP-105_USER_MANUAL_English_v1.6.pdf
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread

Maybe that's not enough but I'm a PC guy so I don't know how Apple computers share folders which is another piece of the puzzle.

Quote:
Could someone pls help me, I am lost and dont know how to stream music from my mac to oppo 105 wirelessly...pls psl help in detail as I am no good with this hi tech computer stuff...thanx

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #160 of 258
yes, depending on what knowledge level you're at, this could be a substantial amount of info to get you going and most of it has nothing to do with the OPPO.  But it basically comes down to using a file player on your computer that streams music (foobar, media monkey, JRiver) or the MAC version of those since I don't have a MAC (but itunes doesn't count).  Once your media player is running (and the streaming server is on - which could be automatic or require a button to be pushed) then it will show up under the network tab on the oppo discussed in the previous post.  That's it.

Your media streamer may also have a DMC (control point) capability that if used will force music to OPPO 105 DMR (resolver) and it will just start playing whatever music you send it.

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #161 of 258
for you iOS users I finally found a DMC app that works with the oppo (as a renderer).  I'm using foobar on a PC (but the app can see all my DLNA servers (I haven't tried to play from any other ones though)).  It has the most limited about a features but it will play through an entire playlist and you can pick another song and it just starts playing right away.  2 features that I'm not have both worked on any other app.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #165 of 258
For Region Free DVD playback all you need is something called a "Superdisk". Just play the disk and it patches something.

For Region Free BD playback you need a hardware gizmo. Some types of these can be installed by end users. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back