New Oppo BDP-103 & 105 previewed at Cedia
Oct 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #228 of 258
Finally buoght an Oppo 103. Building my HT and decided to pair it with an Arcam AVR380, KEF R100, R300, R200c, REL R-218 and a Panasonic 65VT60. I am still away from home or another 40 days and will only give it a listen then :frowning2:

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #231 of 258
I connected BDP 105 to Schiit Lry with Telefunken tubes-HE 5LE, and listened to Wagner Sigfrieds funeral march, Bach Mass B minor, and some vocals of Wagners.

The first impression was fluidity and being spaciousness so that I stood in the concert room.
I felt the 3 dimensional space of musical sources.

it was not the case with Bifrost without Uber upgrade, which was once my savior of Mahler symphony 8.
The symphony requires high definition to represents 1000 men and women choirs and extended orchestra with adding pipe organs for example.
With 105, it seemed to carry me to real concert hall.

However BDP-105 seemed to transport another level with liquidity and musicality.
it forgave much lower quality recording down to 256 rate as usual itune source.

Another noticeable improvement is the SQ of wind instrument when it plays back Wagner Prelude of Tristan und Isolde, which was so sweet to my ears.

Only complaint is that the display as computer monitor is not as clear as the intrinsic video driver of my computer. It displays small character with tint of color combination that is supposed to be black color.

I will test more for the SQ with respect to aging and other genre of music.
Maybe My trusted Bifrost can have chance through Uber upgrade, and actually I already had the upgrade board but no time to install it.

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #232 of 258
i will do that ,I'm saying you can get the same quality (IMO) and functionality for 1/3 the price ,thanks
11.gif

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #234 of 258
Nov 3, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #235 of 258
I connected BDP 105 to Schiit Lry with Telefunken tubes-HE 5LE, and listened to Wagner Sigfrieds funeral march, Bach Mass B minor, and some vocals of Wagners.

The first impression was fluidity and being spaciousness so that I stood in the concert room.
I felt the 3 dimensional space of musical sources.

it was not the case with Bifrost without Uber upgrade, which was once my savior of Mahler symphony 8.
The symphony requires high definition to represents 1000 men and women choirs and extended orchestra with adding pipe organs for example.
With 105, it seemed to carry me to real concert hall.

However BDP-105 seemed to transport another level with liquidity and musicality.
it forgave much lower quality recording down to 256 rate as usual itune source.

Another noticeable improvement is the SQ of wind instrument when it plays back Wagner Prelude of Tristan und Isolde, which was so sweet to my ears.

Only complaint is that the display as computer monitor is not as clear as the intrinsic video driver of my computer. It displays small character with tint of color combination that is supposed to be black color.

I will test more for the SQ with respect to aging and other genre of music.
Maybe My trusted Bifrost can have chance through Uber upgrade, and actually I already had the upgrade board but no time to install it.

Thanks for the impression.  I expect to have the 105 in about two months, and the main headphone I will be pairing with it is the HE-5LE.  If I go the amp route, it will probably be a Mjolnir over the Lyr. Still, it's good to see a positive impression of the 105 and 5LE's.

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #236 of 258
Has anyone tried using 103 with an amp like Corda Classic? Would I be better off putting my Octave Metrum in-between the two or is the 10's DAC better than the Metrum?

Nov 4, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #237 of 258
I finally replaced the old board with Uber with great difficulty for matching LEDs to their holes.
But the sound becomes fuller than before, and SQ seems match to my new Oppo BDP-105, which gave me smoothness and spaciousness.

I listened to Mahler sym 8, Britten cello concerto, and Wagner Siegfrieds funeral march.
it was satisfactory compared with BDP-105 with slightly different sound signiture.

My machine chain was SCHIIT BIFROST- Lyr with telefunken-HE5LE from Flac recording through windows machine.

The SQ of Bifrost with Uber upgrade seems be in the same league as BDP-105, and it renders strings more smooth to my ears.

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #238 of 258
Good afternoon guys, I have read several posts for a while and have been debating quite a bit in swapping a few pieces of gear. First off let me tell you a little about my room and my future expectations if I swap to the Oppo BDP-105. This is going to be a little detailed especially for a new posting but I wanted to get some serious opinions before dropping 1k on the bdp-105. Right now I run a Pioneer Elite SC55 as a pre amp paired with an Oppo-BDP 93. I have a dedicated theater room, 125” CIH screen/automated curtain systems, JVC-RS45 Projectors, 11 ATS acoustic panels, with Klipsch THX KL-650 L,C,R (4) Klipsch THX KS-525s surrounds and surround backs with (4) Klipsch THX KW-120 subwoofers paired with (2) Klipsch KA-1000 Subwoofer Amplifiers. I use an Anthem A5 and Anthem A2 amplifier to power everything. I also use a lot of other equipment to not listed here but this should give an idea of the room/setup. One of the reasons I was looking to upgrade to the 105 is the ability to shift subtitles up since I have a 2:35:screen. I also like the fact that it is 4k compatible for when I look to upgrade my projector for a 4k in the future. I have recently purchased an Anthem D2 v1 pre-amp which does not decode DTS master audio or DDTHD but I already own one of these in my 2 channel setup and have fallen in love with the audio via balanced outs. My intention was to get a a BDP-105 and use its Sabre DACs all 7.1 analog outs into my Anthem D2 pre and let the oppo do the decoding then use the Anthem D2 to control volume and audio/ room correction and run all balanced XLRs to my 2 anthem amplifiers. Im looking to achieve a better audio experience in swapping from the bdp 93 pioneer elite SC55 combo to the BDP-105 + Anthem D2 pre combo. Please Chime in with opinions in going this route as I really love the Anthem Pre sound compared to the pioneer elite

I have included an early photo of the room before completion.

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #239 of 258
 Please Chime in with opinions in going this route as I really love the Anthem Pre sound compared to the pioneer elite.

From what I can tell, your situation is exactly why the BDP-105 was made. And for the record, if I had the Anthem I'd do everything I could to keep it, and the 105 should fit the bill nicely.

I also made a decision regarding Oppo, and on Monday my BDP-103 should be delivered.  I do not have the level of gear that you do in the Anthem, and am quite happy with my Marantz.  The 103 is more practical for my situation.

From what I can tell, you're making the right choice.

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #240 of 258
Good afternoon guys, I have read several posts for a while and have been debating quite a bit in swapping a few pieces of gear. First off let me tell you a little about my room and my future expectations if I swap to the Oppo BDP-105. This is going to be a little detailed especially for a new posting but I wanted to get some serious opinions before dropping 1k on the bdp-105. Right now I run a Pioneer Elite SC55 as a pre amp paired with an Oppo-BDP 93. I have a dedicated theater room, 125” CIH screen/automated curtain systems, JVC-RS45 Projectors, 11 ATS acoustic panels, with Klipsch THX KL-650 L,C,R (4) Klipsch THX KS-525s surrounds and surround backs with (4) Klipsch THX KW-120 subwoofers paired with (2) Klipsch KA-1000 Subwoofer Amplifiers. I use an Anthem A5 and Anthem A2 amplifier to power everything. I also use a lot of other equipment to not listed here but this should give an idea of the room/setup. One of the reasons I was looking to upgrade to the 105 is the ability to shift subtitles up since I have a 2:35:screen. I also like the fact that it is 4k compatible for when I look to upgrade my projector for a 4k in the future. I have recently purchased an Anthem D2 v1 pre-amp which does not decode DTS master audio or DDTHD but I already own one of these in my 2 channel setup and have fallen in love with the audio via balanced outs. My intention was to get a a BDP-105 and use its Sabre DACs all 7.1 analog outs into my Anthem D2 pre and let the oppo do the decoding then use the Anthem D2 to control volume and audio/ room correction and run all balanced XLRs to my 2 anthem amplifiers. Im looking to achieve a better audio experience in swapping from the bdp 93 pioneer elite SC55 combo to the BDP-105 + Anthem D2 pre combo. Please Chime in with opinions in going this route as I really love the Anthem Pre sound compared to the pioneer elite

I have included an early photo of the room before completion.

Just a suggestion, but nobody likes to read a wall of text. Make paragraphs and you will get more people to read your messages.

Also, I don't see why you need the BDP-105 if you are going to use the Anthem. The analog output will have to be re-digitized for use with room correction, and then converted back to analog using the Anthem DACs. You might as well get the BDP-103, send the data by LPCM and avoid the reconversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back