New model Cowon - Plenue D2
Aug 24, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #586 of 952
Thinking about using this balanced with an xCan. Just wondering if it would be a good idea.
I don’t see why it wouldn’t. Most mid level DAPs don’t have a “true” line out anyways. It’s just an LO settting that runs a dap full bore. I find running the D2 around 120 and low gain (headphone thing off) is about right. High gain mode running too hot creates distortion. I’ve got a portable headphone amp that takes balanced In, i’ll Check it later and let you know what I think about balanced as LO on the PD2.

Aug 24, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #587 of 952
Thinking about using this balanced with an xCan. Just wondering if it would be a good idea.
I have an xCAN, will try the combo tomorrow. I’ve mainly used the xCAN with Bluetooth rather than as an amp, but I have toyed with the xCAN and Plenue M2 combo. I did prefer the M2 by itself, as I found the xCAN did make the sound more mid-centric. This was just with easy to drive headphones so no need for the extra power. Will see how it pairs with D2, but I do find the D2 pretty powerful on its own.

Aug 24, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #588 of 952
I have an xCAN, will try the combo tomorrow. I’ve mainly used the xCAN with Bluetooth rather than as an amp, but I have toyed with the xCAN and Plenue M2 combo. I did prefer the M2 by itself, as I found the xCAN did make the sound more mid-centric. This was just with easy to drive headphones so no need for the extra power. Will see how it pairs with D2, but I do find the D2 pretty powerful on its own.

Thanks. I will look forward to hearing from you.

Aug 26, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #589 of 952
Am I the only one whose D2 sometimes reads "flac" files with the .flac extension and sometimes not? I just loaded a bunch of songs to my 128GB microSD card with the ".flac" file extension and my D2 did not see one of them. When I loaded ".flac" songs earlier to the SD card it read them fine. I had to change the file extension to ".fla" in order for my D2 to see the songs. Files are transferred to the microSD with a Win 10 laptop.

Aug 26, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #590 of 952
I haven't had that problem, I did have a problem recognising a couple of FLACs when I first had the PD2 but haven't encountered it since. The only problem I have now is the battery indicator where it drops from 100% straight to approx 20% (there's no staggered drop). It doesn't affect performance, it's just the indicator, strange.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #591 of 952
I have decided to abandon the Astell&Kern ship and jump to Cowon. Very interested in the D2, will buy it next month, buttttt, is there any rumor/news/information about a new mid tier replacement from Cowon? Something like an M3 or R2? Love the spec of the D2, but I wish for a more responsive UI. Volume wheel would be too perfect to be true

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #592 of 952
I have decided to abandon the Astell&Kern ship and jump to Cowon. Very interested in the D2, will buy it next month, buttttt, is there any rumor/news/information about a new mid tier replacement from Cowon? Something like an M3 or R2? Love the spec of the D2, but I wish for a more responsive UI. Volume wheel would be too perfect to be true

Plenue M2 sounds like it would be worth looking into unless that's what you mean by M3 as an upgrade (There's an M2 and a Plenue M2).

With regards to new models, who knows? Knowing Cowon there'll be another Plenue along in the next 10 minutes :stuck_out_tongue:

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #593 of 952
I’m very keen to see what the next model is too. Cowon don’t have the same PR and marketing as Astell & Kern or even Fiio or iBasso - it’s usually the case that a new model appears on their Korean website (plenue.cowon.com) and that’s the first anyone hears about it. The translation on their English website (cowonglobal.com) usually turns up a few weeks later.

Looking over their previous releases it seems about time for a new model. I have found though that it can take months for stockists to receive new models - the store I buy from in Australia only just got the D2 in stock in the last month, and they’re an official retailer. So worth keeping in mind that even if a new model is announced there could be some delay before you can actually get hold of it.

I do feel that Cowon would be more successful in the head-fi crowd and English-speaking countries if their release and availability info was better handled - hint Cowon: employ me! :wink:

Aug 26, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #594 of 952
I think that the Plenue D2 would have been an enormous success if they had dedicated some time to give it a good UI and let it have the BBE 7. Having seen a higher tier Cowan dap let’s me know that they can do it. Unfortunate though, when a company tiers their products too much and scuttles a great sounding player by purposely limiting so as to not letting it compete with their more expensive players.

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #595 of 952
Thanks guys, probably I’ll stick to the plan and buy the D2 next month. Don’t wanna wait till next year to update my dap. I think I can live with its sluggish UI. After all, I’ve been using the AK Jr for 3 years now. It just cannot get worse

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #596 of 952
Is there a reason why some of my titles won't display on the D2? They were fine on the D.

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #600 of 952
No MQA and the newest firmware did not fix the random lags when playing regular FLAC files. Maybe it's just my unit. I had to return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back