1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New model Cowon - Plenue D2

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by tiddlywinks, Jan 1, 2019.
First

Back
28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
39 40 41
Next

Last
  1. NotKunvinced

Does it improve performance?

2. mlavende
    Does it allow more tracks to be stored on the internal card? I thought I read previously that you were still limited to the same number as when memory was 64gb

3. silverfishla
    I’m not sure. If you don’t have a card in, does the player still do database update scroll wheel? I didn’t check before I updated the card. Without a card in and the 128gb update, player goes straight to player screen. I’m going to reformat another card and stick it in there later, so I’ll let you know what I think after that.
    Also, I had questions on the last part of the “upgrade process” about the suggestion of using GUI Format and the 32kb cluster thing. I read that the Mac (which I use) does that as it’s normal formatting choice, so I just went with it. It works. I don’t know if the card is actually in 32kb clusters because there’s no way for me to check that (probably is). But no downsides so far.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    NotKunvinced likes this.
  4. silverfishla
    What’s the file limit for the internal and total with external card. My 128gb internal card is full and I only have 4000 tracks or so. Flac and hi-res, so I might not reach the max anyway.

5. someyoungguy
    User manual has:
    “The maximum number of files and folders that can be recognized by the product.
    * Built-in : 8,000 files + 4,000 folders microSD : 16,000 files + 8,000 folders”

It also mentions the guiformat you used:

“Large-capacity microSD cards (64GB or more) must be formatted using an FAT32 formatting tool (e.g. guiformat) to be properly recognized. (32KB allocation unit size is recommended.)”

NotKunvinced likes this.
  6. silverfishla
    I didn’t actually use Guiformat (which is a Windows thing?). I just took the card which I formatted in to Fat32 (and was using as my external storage) on my Mac (music and all) and dropped that one in the internal storage. I had read on a Mac forum that 32bit clusters was the default setting on a Mac anyways (not sure if that’s true, but hey, I went with it). The player took a few minutes to write its script and database the music, then went to the “choose your language” screen. Basically resetting the unit.

7. silverfishla
    Okay, so I tried to move some music off the card that came with the player's internal. I could not do it. I tried to put more music on the card and could not do it. Errors. I then reformatted that card to Fat32 (which it was already). Still no luck. I'm calling ****ty card.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  8. cdsa35000
    I have diy dual slots as sd cards copy 2x faster with ext. usb readers than from PD2.
    20190819_195102.jpg
    20190819_195142.jpg

9. cdsa35000
    The original internal 64GB is FAT32 as any ext. microSD should be FAT32 with 32kB clusters. MAC don't support FAT32?

10. silverfishla
    Sorry I meant that I reformatted the card to Fat32 not Exfat. The card itself seemed to be faulty even though it worked in the PD2 whilst it was there. I’ve got two 128gb Samsung cards in there now and everything is good. As I said, I think the card that was in the PD2 was corrupted somehow (even though it worked). Also when I took apart m PD2 the negative terminal on the battery came off when I lifted the transparent blue plastic. A cold solder joint that was not properly soldered to the board. Quick fix with a soldering iron. I guess it’s good to check on the internals, since it’s easy to access anyway.
    Edit: Changed my above post with the correction.

11. mlavende
    So can you please confirm if you can get more than 8000 files on the internal card now? And access them...

Thanks
    -Mat

12. silverfishla
    Sorry, I can't. I just don't have many MP3 files to get to that 8000 number. Maybe cdsa35000 (the guy who just posted above) can, if he's got that kind of number of files on his. A previous post said that the limit would still be 8000, then the system stops reading the files.

13. mlavende
    Exactly what I read too. I was hoping you could disprove it

Thanks anyway

-Mat

14. cdsa35000
    When the database updates at bootup, it stop reading after 8000-file for internal and 16000-file for external, no matter whatever mem size.
    Yes, I already test it with 18.000 mp3s on 128GB in both int/ext slots exact above limits.
    You won't even see the after files in the browser, simply the database of above limited files is stored in the PD2 RAM, put the PD2 in sleep mode to prevent database re-update when power went off.

15. taffy2207
    I was thinking the MicroSD card Mod was pointless because of the file size limits. But, if you're into Hi-Res or DSD (I'm not) it may be worth considering it.

First

Back
28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
39 40 41
Next

Last