New member to Head-Fi!
Aug 24, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #16 of 64

Quote:
Heya,

No sound stage for gaming. Imagine isn't as good as even an average open-air headphone. Sound quality is better than the AD700. But it's not a good gaming headphone.

Very best,

Thanks for that. Any other good gaming headphones that do well for music?

Quote:
I want an e-cookie.

Help me out first. What's a good set of phones that do well for music? :p

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #18 of 64
I represent. .=SOC= online.. BC2..  The HD555 is what Sennheiser based their PC360 on. So you bet you can game on those.. Music is good too.

Though I have found better in both regards..The best gaming/music can I have are 2 in my staple.
The Samson SR850 and The Shure SRH440.. Both are kick ass at gaming and music.

I think I am using the Shure SRH440 more now a days but either phone does directional sounds like you wouldn't believe. Better than the AD700..The AD700 is very overrated in both gaming and music. If you listen to classical and or vocal music it might be ok but for anything that has Bass in it. .It is weak sauce..Even in games the openness of the sounds are so spacy the sounds are not as accurate as you would like.

I think all 3 would do well for what you guys are looking for.. The Samson has the best bass out of the 3, The Shures most balanced.

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #19 of 64
accurate but decent bass...hmmm you might wanna try some beyers, perhaps the dt 880s would be the best blend between bass/accurate. they are however a little bright but its not too bad. unless you have an amp you should definitely go for the 32 ohm version. another good headphone would be maybe the hd 595 instead of the 555. i personally own hd 428s (decent with amp, weak bass without) and hd 650s (really good for just about anything, more bass than 600s)

Aug 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #25 of 64

Quote:
Heya,

From your second post, it looks like you are after a gaming headphone more than a hifi headphone for music listening. Is this correct? That means you need a headphone with soundstage and accurate imaging, specifically. But you also want some bass, I take it, as you don't seem to keen on the idea of the AD700's (wisely so, those headphones are over-rated in my eyes, no bass is irritating). And you listen to rock/pop, so we need something that has some bass, but mostly something that has mids. And it has to fit in the $100 budget.

Check out this Samsons.

Well under budget. Try it out.

Very best,

Sorry, I missed your post. Threads move fast here. 
How are the SR850's compared to the Shure 440's?
Yeah I realized AD700's are quite overhyped. Basically it's the Shure SRH440's or the Samson SR850. Which is more comfortable for long-term wearing and which has a better sound-stage? I appreciate the help.
Okay. Here's the options:
SRH440; SR850; HD595.
Which fits my needs best in you guys' opinions?

Aug 24, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #27 of 64
So, now I've narrowed down the options...
I can't seem to find any set that is clearly better than the other... I like the look of the Shures and the Sennheisers more though. The Shure I can get for $83 with a straight cable ($68 without) and the 595's for around $110.

Aug 24, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #28 of 64

Quote:
So, now I've narrowed down the options...
I can't seem to find any set that is clearly better than the other... I like the look of the Shures and the Sennheisers more though. The Shure I can get for $83 with a straight cable ($68 without) and the 595's for around $110.

The HD595 has a wider sound stage but also is open and will leak sound like crazy.. The Shures are closed back monitory style, less to no sound leakage... I have both.. The Shures are better for gaming..   The HD595 sounds awesome for music though..

Aug 24, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #30 of 64

Quote:
The HD595 has a wider sound stage but also is open and will leak sound like crazy.. The Shures are closed back monitory style, less to no sound leakage... I have both.. I like the shures are better for gaming.. The HD595 sounds awesome for music though..

If the Shures are OK for the gaming then Shures it is. Are there any good stands for like $20-40 or should I just man up and make my own?
My computer is a bit loud with 2x200mm and 1x120mm and a lot more. I think the Shures are the way to go for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back