New member to Head-Fi!
Aug 24, 2011 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

csm725

Head-Fier
Hey there.
I was reading up and I liked the ambiance this community gives off. Not too many elitists and honest opinions (Beats-haters) are always welcome in my eyes. :D
I have $100 to spend on some over-ear's and I've been considering the HD555's and the AD700's. I've heard the AD700's are more interesting and although they have below average bass, they're described as 'bright'. The sound card is a Xonar DX, are there any cans that you guys would recommend over the AD700's?
Sorry to seem like this is the reason I registered though. Great forum here.
Cheers,
csm

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 64
Quite a wide variety. I also game a bit so I'd like an accurate soundstage (apologies if I'm using the wrong terms) so I can here shots and footsteps quite accurately. In terms of music, mostly rock/pop. I'd like sufficient amounts of bass too. Thanks for the kind welcome
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #5 of 64
Quote:
Quite a wide variety. I also game a bit so I'd like an accurate soundstage (apologies if I'm using the wrong terms) so I can here shots and footsteps quite accurately. In terms of music, mostly rock/pop. I'd like sufficient amounts of bass too. Thanks for the kind welcome
biggrin.gif

The AD700's do not have an amount of bass that I would call sufficient, but that's just me.
tongue.gif

When I had them back in the day, they worked just fine for gaming but I felt that they were a little lacking for some songs (usually rock and pop =/).

You definitely have to give them a listen to see if they're sufficient for your needs. Good luck.

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 64
Take a spin through our Sales forums. You'll get better value with used gear. Most of the used gear here is well taken care of by its owner. Will you be using an amp?

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #7 of 64

Quote:
Cheers,
csm

Don't worry. It kind of seems like I did too. It seems that only tUDJ and some others were giving me help on OCN. :) Anyways, if you can stretch your budget to $150, get the ATH-M50 (or the "s" model with the straight cable).

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #8 of 64

Quote:
Don't worry. It kind of seems like I did too. It seems that only tUDJ and some others were giving me help on OCN. :) Anyways, if you can stretch your budget to $150, get the ATH-M50 (or the "s" model with the straight cable).

Oh god... I had no idea other OCN'ers were here. The second I saw your username I started cracking up! Does tUDJ have Steam? Do you? OCN, GH, and now this... ****. LOL.
Hmmm. ATH-M50's. Are they as comfy as the AD700s? I'd need that. The M50's look nice though. :D

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 64

Quote:
Hey there.
I was reading up and I liked the ambiance this community gives off. Not too many elitists and honest opinions (Beats-haters) are always welcome in my eyes. :D
I have $100 to spend on some over-ear's and I've been considering the HD555's and the AD700's. I've heard the AD700's are more interesting and although they have below average bass, they're described as 'bright'. The sound card is a Xonar DX, are there any cans that you guys would recommend over the AD700's?
Cheers,
csm

Heya,

From your second post, it looks like you are after a gaming headphone more than a hifi headphone for music listening. Is this correct? That means you need a headphone with soundstage and accurate imaging, specifically. But you also want some bass, I take it, as you don't seem to keen on the idea of the AD700's (wisely so, those headphones are over-rated in my eyes, no bass is irritating). And you listen to rock/pop, so we need something that has some bass, but mostly something that has mids. And it has to fit in the $100 budget.

Check out this Samsons.

Well under budget. Try it out.

Very best,

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #10 of 64

Quote:
Oh god... I had no idea other OCN'ers were here. The second I saw your username I started cracking up! Does tUDJ have Steam? Do you? OCN, GH, and now this... ****. LOL.
Hmmm. ATH-M50's. Are they as comfy as the AD700s? I'd need that. The M50's look nice though. :D

Is there something wrong with my username. :p jk.

I don't know if tUDJ has a steam. He might. I don't know if he plays games. I do have one. I can't use it though since I'm in China (will be back when school starts) and my laptop can't handle games. Not even Trackmania.

The ATH-M50's look nice in person. They were at Yodaboshi Camera. They were a lot larger than I expected though. IIRC the DT880's were even smaller. I don't know about comfortableness. If only I wasn't so stupid to not try them. I didn't try them probably because I thought I would be getting the AH-D2000's and now I'm unsure myself.

Edit: I actually didn't know you where here or on geekhack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back