New Member Introductions thread
Aug 26, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #10,516 of 15,584
Hey all. I'm pbjpie, and have been a long time lurker. I decided that with my purchase of the Vali 2 and the SZ-1000s it was probably time for me to join the community I seemed to be gravitating towards for some time. I'm a big basshead, and a fan of warmer sound -- but I also enjoy my HD598s for casual listening! EDM is my biggest genre, but I listen to a slew of Hip-Hop, Jazz, Metal, you get the idea. Feel free to shoot me off some of your favorite albums, and I'll give them a listen!

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #10,517 of 15,584
Hey all. I'm pbjpie, and have been a long time lurker. I decided that with my purchase of the Vali 2 and the SZ-1000s it was probably time for me to join the community I seemed to be gravitating towards for some time. I'm a big basshead, and a fan of warmer sound -- but I also enjoy my HD598s for casual listening! EDM is my biggest genre, but I listen to a slew of Hip-Hop, Jazz, Metal, you get the idea. Feel free to shoot me off some of your favorite albums, and I'll give them a listen!
Welcome aboard!!

Aug 26, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #10,518 of 15,584
Hi,

I've been lurking since October, 2018. I live in Canada, and sometimes things are a little more pricey.

So when I heard about Chi-Fi, I got curious. I used the Chi-Fi IEM threads to learn what to buy for the 11.11 AliExpress sale. I picked up a Tin Audio T2 (of course), an IEM that can't be mentioned here, a TRN V80, the EZ Audio D4, and some cheaper bargain-basement IEMs.

(I also have a TFZ T2 Galaxy from MassDrop, but I haven't really used it).

So far, the biggest winner from my Chi-Fi gamble is the TRN V80, which is amazing bass for the price. I'm not a basshead, but it's a really good transit IEM.

I didn't like the T2 so much - sure, it has great fidelity for the price, and is accurate. But it's neutrality bores me (I use a studio monitor when I need neutrality), and it lacks bass. I don't need a lot of bass, but I can't stand a headphone that basically erases what's in the source material. Turns out to be a good IEM for computer use, though.

The D4 just plain sucked, I gave them to relatives who needed earphones for their mobile devices. They came with nice cases, though.

Anyway, I've been following this forum because I didn't know what to buy after I lost / broke my Klipsch IEMs, which were amazing at the time. I've been hoping Chi-Fi could replicate what I was getting out of them. In general, some of the Chi-Fi IEMs give equivalent detail to the x7i, and exceed the price/performance point of the S4i. But many Chi-Fi IEMs either lack the detail, or have weird / unnatural tuning, harsh and piercing highs, too much brightness, and are not all-rounders.

Oh yeah, I also picked up a King Pro recently, which is great for jazz. And I have the VSonic Ares, but I can't figure out a use for it.

I'm still trying to figure out what I like. I like warm instead of neutral, fun instead of analytical, V and W-shaped profiles (but not exclusively), wide and deep soundstages, and directionality is very important. I'm not a big fan of brightness.

I'm reading Head-Fi threads because I want to learn more about how to optimize my Chi-Fi IEMs, since they often need work out-of-the-box.

Welcome fellow Canuck head-fi'er!

Aug 27, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #10,519 of 15,584
Longtime lurker, thought i'd finally post here.
I live in India
Amassed a few gears in the past year or so.
Beyerdynamic Amiron
Beyerdynamic Xelento
Focal Elegia
Mrspeakers Aeon Flow Open
64audio U8
Beoplay H6

with Beoplay H6 being my first (which I bought after seeing the discussions on this site!)

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #10,525 of 15,584
Hi,

I've been lurking since October, 2018. I live in Canada, and sometimes things are a little more pricey.

So when I heard about Chi-Fi, I got curious. I used the Chi-Fi IEM threads to learn what to buy for the 11.11 AliExpress sale. I picked up a Tin Audio T2 (of course), an IEM that can't be mentioned here, a TRN V80, the EZ Audio D4, and some cheaper bargain-basement IEMs.

(I also have a TFZ T2 Galaxy from MassDrop, but I haven't really used it).

So far, the biggest winner from my Chi-Fi gamble is the TRN V80, which is amazing bass for the price. I'm not a basshead, but it's a really good transit IEM.

I didn't like the T2 so much - sure, it has great fidelity for the price, and is accurate. But it's neutrality bores me (I use a studio monitor when I need neutrality), and it lacks bass. I don't need a lot of bass, but I can't stand a headphone that basically erases what's in the source material. Turns out to be a good IEM for computer use, though.

The D4 just plain sucked, I gave them to relatives who needed earphones for their mobile devices. They came with nice cases, though.

Anyway, I've been following this forum because I didn't know what to buy after I lost / broke my Klipsch IEMs, which were amazing at the time. I've been hoping Chi-Fi could replicate what I was getting out of them. In general, some of the Chi-Fi IEMs give equivalent detail to the x7i, and exceed the price/performance point of the S4i. But many Chi-Fi IEMs either lack the detail, or have weird / unnatural tuning, harsh and piercing highs, too much brightness, and are not all-rounders.

Oh yeah, I also picked up a King Pro recently, which is great for jazz. And I have the VSonic Ares, but I can't figure out a use for it.

I'm still trying to figure out what I like. I like warm instead of neutral, fun instead of analytical, V and W-shaped profiles (but not exclusively), wide and deep soundstages, and directionality is very important. I'm not a big fan of brightness.

I'm reading Head-Fi threads because I want to learn more about how to optimize my Chi-Fi IEMs, since they often need work out-of-the-box.

Welcome, and yeah CHI-FI is going strong!!

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #10,527 of 15,584
A BIG WELCOME to all new members!

Wow! Looks like August is a busy month for new members. No matter if you're a long time lurker or first timer, really good to have more participants on this site.

Enjoy your stay!

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #10,528 of 15,584
Hello, I have just start getting into this hobby and discovering the world of IEM.

I found that this forum has a good community with lots of great info and useful advice, that's why I would like to join and perhaps try to contribute too.

Cheers.

Aug 30, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #10,530 of 15,584
Hi guys. Been a lurker for a while but here I am.

My first ‘decent’ earphones were Etymotic ER6’s with the triple flanges, going from the standard Apple ear buds that came with my original iPod to these blew my mind! They’re still going strong over ten years later but I have donated them to my girlfriend since I upgraded.

My next pair were Etymotic HF2’s which were pretty much the same as my previous ones but with the microphone and controls since I’d just got an iPhone (3GS).

After a few years I found I was finding the triple flanges a little uncomfortable plus I fancied an upgrade, so I upgraded to Shure SE425’s which I still have. I used the original medium foams which I thought were OK but couldn’t quite get the same isolation as they never seemed to go far enough into my ears and I wanted to avoid the triples.

I read (probably on here) about the Comply P-series foam tips so tried them out and love them. The isolation is almost as good as the Ety triples but ten times comfier. Perfect!

Fast forward to now, and a change of jobs. I used to commute by car but since changing jobs I now work in the city centre so commute via public transport. I was getting annoyed with the wires and contemplated getting one of the Bluetooth cables for my Shures, but the reviews were only ever average. Did my research and kept reading about the Sony WF-1000XM3’s and how wonderful they were, how could I not get the ‘best’ true wireless in ears???

So that’s my journey, Apple to Sony with a few stops along the way via Etymotic and Shure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back