New Member Introductions thread
Jul 19, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #6,078 of 15,537
Hi everyone - long time lurker but never posted before.

I've been visiting this forum (and a number of others) for many years . The amount I've learnt from Head-fi, and other sites like Computer Audiophile and Roon Labs community is off the charts.

Love all types of music but not ashamed to admit that I also love the technology and the constant quest for improved sound quality. You can enjoy both aspects of this hobby right?

I recently upgraded my headphone system and I'm really pleased with the results. I'm running a SonicTransporter i7 (with Roon Server, HQ Player and Audiophile Optimizer) connected directly in bridged mode to a Sonore MicroRendu powered by an Uptone Audio LPS-1 (ultraRendu is in transit!) and Singxer SU1. DAC is a Holo Spring KTE L3 (upsampling to DSD512 in HQ Player). Main amp is a newly arrived Alo Audio Studio 6 (obtained via the very helpful Alex at Computer Lounge in Auckland NZ) with various NOS tubes including RCA 5692 red base; a pair of RCA black base 6v6GT's from 1943 (alternating with a pair of JAN Phillips 6V6GT's), Sylvania OB2s and a Mullard GZ34. Headphones are HEK v2's (a recent upgrade from Audeze LCD 2.2 which I love for their powerful bass, richness of tone and overall politeness but the extra transparency, detail and presence of the HEK v2's is just staggering). Previous system revolved around a Nuprime DAC10H - which although now out-gunned served me well.

I've also got a pair of Astell & Kern Layla universal IEM's, Chord Mojo and Pioneer xdp 100r. Love the Chord Mojo. The Layla's do some things amazingly well but can be quite frustrating at times (the bass, tonal richness and transparency sounds really good to my ears but the treble performance is a bit ragged for my taste - way too much sibilance even if they are not a bright headphone). I used to think I didn't like a "bright" sound (which is why I gravitated to a dark headphone like the LCD2.2) but I now realise it's not brightness that I am averse to but sibilance. The other pet hate is distortion with more complex passages of music. For me distortion and sibilance do more to ruin the "magical realism" of recorded music than anything else because it is so unnatural.

Love tinkering (even if I don't know what I'm doing half the time). Tube rolling, cable swapping, and messing around with HQ Player and other software is half the fun (even if it can be a bit challenging at times). I do however spend a couple of hours nearly every night just sitting back and listening to music. With 3 young children headphones (and computer audio) have re-opened my passion for music and hi-fi - I can now listen late at night without any concern that I will wake them up and I've got an almost endless selection of music to choose from via Tidal or my NAS Drive. My main speaker system barely gets a look in these days.

Sorry for the long post!

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #6,079 of 15,537
Hi,

I'm Davide from Italy, I've been lurking in the forums for some time, long time audiophile, I like almost every kind of music and I found the site very useful, and very competent users.
I do not just listen to headphones, but I like them very much.

My equipment currently consists of:
heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT990Pro, Sennheiser HD650, Brainwavz B100, Audio technica ath anc33is
headphone amps: Creek obh11se, Little Dot MK2, Topping NX1a
Source: teac vrds 10se, cambridge audio stream magic 6, Yamaha RN602, pioneer PL12, Technics SLD1, Dual 1229
DAP: Sony NWZ A15

Happy listening to everyone!

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #6,080 of 15,537
Hi,

I'm Davide from Italy, I've been lurking in the forums for some time, long time audiophile, I like almost every kind of music and I found the site very useful, and very competent users.
I do not just listen to headphones, but I like them very much.

My equipment currently consists of:
heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT990Pro, Sennheiser HD650, Brainwavz B100, Audio technica ath anc33is
headphone amps: Creek obh11se, Little Dot MK2, Topping NX1a
Source: teac vrds 10se, cambridge audio stream magic 6, Yamaha RN602, pioneer PL12, Technics SLD1, Dual 1229
DAP: Sony NWZ A15

Happy listening to everyone!
Welcome, Davide!! That's some nice gear you have got... ---)

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #6,083 of 15,537
Hello everyone.

I have enjoyed high quality audio since I learned about the 320kbps mp3. I have enjoyed many headphones throughout my yoth, but many of them were cheap as I did not have a lot. I don't remember all of them, but the ones I remember the most are in the order:

RCA around the neck headphones with color pieces
RCA noise cancelling headphones(My first over-the-ear headphone)
Sony MDR-V150(had to turn it up the whole way on my RCA Pearl)
Sentry IEMs
Emerson IEMs(one headphone with poor imaging- my definition of imaging is one driver does not sound the same as the other)
Another pair of Sentry IEMs
Vibe Sound 750DJ headphones(over the ear headphones that didn't sound that great, ok sounding when plugged into a quality DAC)
Vibe Sound IEMs(from the combo pack- were my go-to for portable use)

Eventually, I noticed a few songs from one of the albums I had had the vocals too low. That is when I bought my first professional headphone; the Koss KSC75. The sound was fantastic(especially from my iPod Photo). They were an improvement over my earbuds; they were not veiled and I could ear all the details wherever they were positioned. Of course I did the hearing protection mod, which cuts the bass unfortunately. From -18db ear muffs to -25db yellow ones, and then to a -37db pair which I put my next pair of KSC75s in. They were very shrill sounding(due to the driver not being directly on my ears), and there wasn't a lot of bass. At the time, I made the mistake of listening to all my music at -12db. I am surprised I am not deaf, although I have had symptoms of hearing loss long before that time.

A few years later, I was eager to recable both KSC75s. I also enjoyed listening to them without earmuffs over them. I bought phono to 3.5 cables, and clipped the phono ends off. Both headphones sounded great, but my latest pair stopped working in one ear, and the recable was not the best(the wire for ground appeared to melt through the driver assembly- dang 60 watt). I tossed it and just used my first pair of KSC75s. Eventually they needed a recable. Ironically, they were my only working pair of headphones, after I broke my Bluedio T2S, and attempting to make a homemade headphone with a Koss UR10. The UR10 was my first Koss headphone, and one that I purchased long before all the dollar store shrilliness.

I have also owned the Koss KPH-7 headphones. They had excellent tone response, but they were thin sounding, and also didn't have a lot of bass. I also took them apart with a gift card, and found a hollow section behind the driver. Too bad I didn't put cotton behind it.

Other than my KSC75, I don't have any professional gear. Since I quit violating intellectual property over a year ago, I had only streamed music since. The sounds I currently have in my Music folder are just albums from Bandcamp, and other sounds I play around with in Audacity. After upgrading my computer, I'm saving for new audio equipment, along with music.

The trademarks in my post I do not own any of them; they are used for only illustration purpose.

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #6,084 of 15,537
Hello,

I am new to the site but have been following the discussion of the new Schiit Vidar so thought I would join up in case I had questions.

I am getting a Vidar and Freya tomorrow to hook to my Salk HT2-Tl's. Replacing a very nice but not powerful enough Unison Research Unico. Source is a Jolida CD-100.

Thanks for letting me join.

Mark

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #6,085 of 15,537
Hello everyone.

I have enjoyed high quality audio since I learned about the 320kbps mp3. I have enjoyed many headphones throughout my yoth, but many of them were cheap as I did not have a lot. I don't remember all of them, but the ones I remember the most are in the order:

RCA around the neck headphones with color pieces
RCA noise cancelling headphones(My first over-the-ear headphone)
Sony MDR-V150(had to turn it up the whole way on my RCA Pearl)
Sentry IEMs
Emerson IEMs(one headphone with poor imaging- my definition of imaging is one driver does not sound the same as the other)
Another pair of Sentry IEMs
Vibe Sound 750DJ headphones(over the ear headphones that didn't sound that great, ok sounding when plugged into a quality DAC)
Vibe Sound IEMs(from the combo pack- were my go-to for portable use)

Eventually, I noticed a few songs from one of the albums I had had the vocals too low. That is when I bought my first professional headphone; the Koss KSC75. The sound was fantastic(especially from my iPod Photo). They were an improvement over my earbuds; they were not veiled and I could ear all the details wherever they were positioned. Of course I did the hearing protection mod, which cuts the bass unfortunately. From -18db ear muffs to -25db yellow ones, and then to a -37db pair which I put my next pair of KSC75s in. They were very shrill sounding(due to the driver not being directly on my ears), and there wasn't a lot of bass. At the time, I made the mistake of listening to all my music at -12db. I am surprised I am not deaf, although I have had symptoms of hearing loss long before that time.

A few years later, I was eager to recable both KSC75s. I also enjoyed listening to them without earmuffs over them. I bought phono to 3.5 cables, and clipped the phono ends off. Both headphones sounded great, but my latest pair stopped working in one ear, and the recable was not the best(the wire for ground appeared to melt through the driver assembly- dang 60 watt). I tossed it and just used my first pair of KSC75s. Eventually they needed a recable. Ironically, they were my only working pair of headphones, after I broke my Bluedio T2S, and attempting to make a homemade headphone with a Koss UR10. The UR10 was my first Koss headphone, and one that I purchased long before all the dollar store shrilliness.

I have also owned the Koss KPH-7 headphones. They had excellent tone response, but they were thin sounding, and also didn't have a lot of bass. I also took them apart with a gift card, and found a hollow section behind the driver. Too bad I didn't put cotton behind it.

Other than my KSC75, I don't have any professional gear. Since I quit violating intellectual property over a year ago, I had only streamed music since. The sounds I currently have in my Music folder are just albums from Bandcamp, and other sounds I play around with in Audacity. After upgrading my computer, I'm saving for new audio equipment, along with music.

The trademarks in my post I do not own any of them; they are used for only illustration purpose.
hi
like your post. audio gear has come a long. I remember when I was 16 years old taking a bus to my local mall and buying a reel to reel deck at radio shack and realizing after the purchase I was walking home because I did not have enough of money left.
My first dive in headphones were koss pro 80,s I believe that was the model.

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #6,086 of 15,537
Hello,

I am new to the site but have been following the discussion of the new Schiit Vidar so thought I would join up in case I had questions.

I am getting a Vidar and Freya tomorrow to hook to my Salk HT2-Tl's. Replacing a very nice but not powerful enough Unison Research Unico. Source is a Jolida CD-100.

Thanks for letting me join.

Mark
Welcome, Mark!! That is a sweet setup you've got. Love those Salks!

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #6,087 of 15,537
Hi
my name is John .Just signed on greetings to all audio fans. I am a big fan of fiio products and have good knowledge of them
I currently own the following fiio products x1 x3 2nd gen x5 x5 2nd gen x5 3rd gen and x7 also audio technical ath m30x m40x and m50x
also Fiio k5 desktop amp
Noticed your from PA and there is a meet in Pittsburgh if your close you should check it out as there will be some great gear there. Here is a link
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/official-pittsburgh-2017-meet-july-22nd-music-to-my-ear.848438/
If you haven't been to a meet I can't recommend it more as this is the best way to hear gear you can't find local and everyone I've met at the meets I've been to have been more than welcoming. I'm coming in from Kentucky as I like a road trip. Just a thought if your close.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #6,089 of 15,537
hi :smile_phones: the meet sounds great I will check the thread out thanx for the reply
Hope you can join us!

I want to extend the welcome to all the new members here. The meet up is for everyone.! We (Music To My Ear) are located in Pittsburgh PA, and have tons of headphones and gear that you can listen to. Also members from here will be bringing their own gear as well for you to enjoy. If you are not from PA I still recommend coming... It will be worth the drive!

-Craig

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #6,090 of 15,537
Hey all, I'm Joe from California

I'm currently using Fidelio X2's, HD 650's and DT770's on a Schiit stack, I normally post on reddit but as I've been getting deeper into the rabbit hole of headphones I discovered this place

Thank you for having me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back